Daicos v Bews - First time since 1993

Remove this Banner Ad

Collingwood 17.11.113
Geelong 15.13.103
http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/1993/040919930403.html

Good game.

Peter Daicos kicked 8 goals in this game. Could we see a repeat today?

Not quite any records with regards to goals, but 'Son of Rat' did at least do a rather poor mans version of Andrew's 1985 'Goal of the Year'...his fourth career goal in his 46th game.

The Pies, with several Shaws, several Clokes, Nick Davis, i think a nibble at Oborne, Moore, and now Daicos, are probably one club who has had at least as many F/S players as Geelong. Not all have been very good players, but the re-emergence of surnames of yore i do think adds a fair bit to the game. A romanticism of the past in a game that has had a lot of the spontaneity and quirks of the past disappear in the last 20 or so years.

What I find also interesting from this game is that there were 5 (2 caretaker) senior coaches, 2 still coaching, in Alan Richardson as well as Ken Hinkley as well as Mark Neeld, Garry Hocking and Paul Williams played ( and that's not including assistant coaches and football officials such as Pert, Wright, Crosisca, Rocca (*2), Starcevich, Monkhorst, Gavin Brown, Steve Hocking, Barry Mitchell and John Barnes etc who have held positions in football clubs) and that from my albeit, imperfect football knowledge, Barry Mitchell, Paul Couch, Gary Ablett and Gavin Brown who also have had sons that played.

That also excludes players from that game who forged a media career in football in Michael Christian and Billy Brownless and a player who became an umpire in Mark Fraser.

I'm sure I missed one or two but that's pretty impressive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back