Daily Terrorgraph ... absolute joke

Remove this Banner Ad

If you've followed the news this year, theres a lot of sydney journalists writing about the afl. It seems to alternate between them wanting to emulate the AFL (especially the administration/commission/tv deals/memberships) and spreading fear about the AFLs expansion plans (usually by mocking the GWS/GC entries). Theres very little about the NRL either critically or otherwise in the melbourne papers, unless something features the storm.

How much NRL do you think there would be on the Hun website if the positions were reversed? Have you stopped to consider that the people of Sydney just don't give a crap about a Collingwood-St Kilda GF??

Only partly true, mate: most of the people of Melbourne don't give a crap about a Collingwood-St Kilda Grand Final ...

If you've followed the news this year, theres a lot of sydney journalists writing about the afl. It seems to alternate between them wanting to emulate the AFL (especially the administration/commission/tv deals/memberships) and spreading fear about the AFLs expansion plans (usually by mocking the GWS/GC entries). Theres very little about the NRL either critically or otherwise in the melbourne papers, unless something features the storm.
you are correct, its become pretty nasty.

Like today where they used Maxwell comment of "joke" & ran with it.

how naive to think that a newspapers job is to report news - no, its to make money. i havent seen the tele, so i dont know how much reporting there was, but i wouldnt expect much afl - the people buying the tele are hardcore league fans. if the afl is on the front page, theyre less likely to buy it. they want to see every little detail of the dragons and roosters.

who by the way are both sydney teams who have made the grand final.

s**t thread

What a s**t paper.

Had a look then at their website... ha.... ha.... ehhh....

Sydneys pathetic news corp media can die in the ass.

Ruperts lackies... clearly. Rupert can die do... if anybody has seen his anti-Obama Fox News in the States you know what I´m talking about.

SMH doesn't appear to give a crap either.

Sydney just doesn't care.

The fact that 530,000 people in Sydney were watching the game during the last quarter would indicate otherwise.

No-one expects that the coverage will be similar in quantity to that given to the NRL, of course not.

My issue with the Telegraph in particular is the tone and general hypocracy, which is especially disappointing given that Gary Linnell, a supposed football fan, is the editor.

Channel 9 are just as bad, even when they had the rights they were appalling in Sydney, I cringed yesterday listening to Ken Sutcliffe try and feign interest on the Sunday morning show.

The two Sunday papers had full pages with large typeface, one with "Australian Football Laughingstock", and the other with "What a Joke"......not a word about the fact that a Sydney boy in Lenny Hayes won the Norm Smith or the fact that it was a great game.

A fair representation is all I ask, but it's clearly not possible.

The fact that 530,000 people in Sydney were watching the game during the last quarter would indicate otherwise.

No-one expects that the coverage will be similar in quantity to that given to the NRL, of course not.

My issue with the Telegraph in particular is the tone and general hypocracy, which is especially disappointing given that Gary Linnell, a supposed football fan, is the editor.

Channel 9 are just as bad, even when they had the rights they were appalling in Sydney, I cringed yesterday listening to Ken Sutcliffe try and feign interest on the Sunday morning show.

The two Sunday papers had full pages with large typeface, one with "Australian Football Laughingstock", and the other with "What a Joke"......not a word about the fact that a Sydney boy in Lenny Hayes won the Norm Smith or the fact that it was a great game.

A fair representation is all I ask, but it's clearly not possible.

I lold, Kenny Sutcliffe - what an embarrassment to Channel 9. Try and defend that performance - what a disgrace to sports journalism.

See this is what i mean -

AFL poachers build war chest September 27, 2010

FOR many rugby league fans watching the AFL grand final, the prospect of two teams battling for 2½ hours only to come back next week bordered on farce. But it could give the AFL an extra $18 million. For a sport determined to expand into league's heartlands, that's not a bad war chest. ''There's no doubt that money could be used to bring over some more players to AFL or to fund and promote their new clubs,'' a league player manager said. The southern code has already lured two of league's most exciting players - Karmichael Hunt and Israel Folau - on huge contracts to the start-up clubs on the Gold Coast and Western Sydney. NRL chief executive David Gallop last night said the grand final windfall was not of particular concern. ''Yes, it's a war chest, but they've got money anyway,'' Gallop said. ''We are concerned, and were already concerned, about their war chest, but we are very confident with how we're travelling. Our results this year - in terms of crowds, ratings and participation - support our optimism.''
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl-poachers-build-war-chest-20100926-15siq.html

lol

The southern code now? :rolleyes:

Perth is further north than Sydney FFS.

They refer to it as the victorian or southern code, ignoring the fact that before rugby league even existed, aussie rules was the number 1 sport in wa/sa/tas as well.

To call it a national code or anything aliong those lines elicits painful reminders of their own failings.

What a s**t paper.

Had a look then at their website... ha.... ha.... ehhh....

Sydneys pathetic news corp media can die in the ass.

Ruperts lackies... clearly. Rupert can die do... if anybody has seen his anti-Obama Fox News in the States you know what I´m talking about.

You gotta wonder how Rupert thinks anyone would actually pay for the rubbish printed in the Daily Telegraph and online, especially his bold plans for a paywall on his News Ltd sites. :rolleyes:

Gotta love the following survey findings.

But while Rupert has been making his plans, Australian researchers working with the international World Internet Project have conducted their first survey on whether and how much Australians will pay for content online. The results have been released to Crikey, and they are depressing for Rupert.

Seven out of 10 Australians would not consider paying anything at all. Young people were particularly against the idea, with three quarters saying they would not pay.

http://www.crikey.com.au/2010/01/13/murdochs-grand-paywall-experiment-will-aussies-pay/

Sell your shares in News you goose. What sort of financial wizard would have footy of any code dictate, a real dick (a skilts?) thats who, certainly not a real Rupert.
http://www.newscorp.com/

I'm sorry nondescript white wine, that link makes no more sense than your post does. You don't by any odious mischance work as a journalist for Rupert do you? That opaque mode of expression you use makes you singularly qualified to be in his employ.

Fear not people, we get to watch as the Daily Telegraph and the Sydney centric Channel 9 are forced to cover more AFL because our game will win the war. They have backed the wrong horse up there and the Melbourne Storm fiasco (which appears to be very much just the tip of the iceberg) marks the begining of the end for Thugby League.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why would you go to the DT website to look for AFL news unless its about the Swans?

As for the rag - its absolute garbage. I feel for those who are in Sydney brainless enough to buy into the anti-AFL propaganda garbage. After reading a few of those article, it sounded like the world was about to end. If they're exposed to it constantly enough they start to believe it.

Unfortunately bad news sells and gets people's attention. If there's none, may as well create some.

Why would you go to the DT website to look for AFL news unless its about the Swans?

1. Media monitoring
2. To bait the League flogs in the comments section :D

I had a look this afternoon, nothing about the James Hird appointment or the upcoming GF.

You're hardly going to go there to get your footy news.

desie said:
1. Media monitoring

I had a look this afternoon, nothing about the James Hird appointment or the upcoming GF.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/afl

Hird, GF, Pies, Footy shake up and a host of other stuff. I'm guessing the print version might be like the HS which carries very little RL news.

Hird must read the DT? His comments On the couch seemed straight out of their head line reel.

We are having a go at the Daily Telegraph for printing bias anti AFL propaganda or none of it whilst posters on LU are pissed off with the Courier for printing articles on Aussie Rules :p

So when they feel Aussie Rules gets more "air time" then RL, they even go as far as posting the sports editors email link on a thread and urge other posters to send emails. So a Sydney RL supporter will email The Courier newspaper even though he never reads it and states in his email that he will never buy the paper due to Aussie Rules articles...a bit far fetched you would think
In the past they have done this for MPs, tv presenters ie the insiders etc

But what I do is also email these people (thanks to them posting their email address) and give them support, also explain why they may be getting some "extra" emails from League fans with a link to the thread on their forum....

Love my work...

Anyway regarding the Daily Telegraph it will eventually come to its senses...popularity will force it...

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/afl

Hird, GF, Pies, Footy shake up and a host of other stuff. I'm guessing the print version might be like the HS which carries very little RL news.

Hird must read the DT? His comments On the couch seemed straight out of their head line reel.

news websites and fairfax websites pool the majority of their material, like sport. So whats on the website isnt really representative of whats actually printed.

We are having a go at the Daily Telegraph for printing bias anti AFL propaganda or none of it whilst posters on LU are pissed off with the Courier for printing articles on Aussie Rules :p

So when they feel Aussie Rules gets more "air time" then RL, they even go as far as posting the sports editors email link on a thread and urge other posters to send emails. So a Sydney RL supporter will email The Courier newspaper even though he never reads it and states in his email that he will never buy the paper due to Aussie Rules articles...a bit far fetched you would think
In the past they have done this for MPs, tv presenters ie the insiders etc

But what I do is also email these people (thanks to them posting their email address) and give them support, also explain why they may be getting some "extra" emails from League fans with a link to the thread on their forum....

Love my work...

Anyway regarding the Daily Telegraph it will eventually come to its senses...popularity will force it...

That league unlimited thread makes for hilarious reading from our AFL perspective. Theres a lot of insecurity and a lot of paranoia in league circles that just isnt reflected in the AFL side of things at all.

Its hilarious that the AFL gets front page coverage in brisbane with the ablett thing - in NRL grand final week. That, incidentally will be why he's worthe very cent of whatever they pay him.

That league unlimited thread makes for hilarious reading from our AFL perspective. Theres a lot of insecurity and a lot of paranoia in league circles that just isnt reflected in the AFL side of things at all.

Its hilarious that the AFL gets front page coverage in brisbane with the ablett thing - in NRL grand final week. That, incidentally will be why he's worthe very cent of whatever they pay him.

You have actually hit the big one here. Brisbane is the true indicator over this weekend.

No Qld teams in the League GF, means the TV figures might give a more independent assessment of what people think.

Both codes will be watching the figures carefully.

Love my work...

Great stuff :thumbsu:

The Queensland figures will be interesting, although 2.30pm on a Saturday compared to 5.30pm or whatever it is on a Sunday evening isn't really apples and apples.

I'm sure the League will win relatively comfortably.

1. Media monitoring

So you're AFL Warrior of Melbourne!!! :D:D:thumbsu:

The poor little leaguites want their own media.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2010/09/29/nrl-needs-its-own-media-entity/#more-36178

Of course being 50% owned by a media corporation is clearly not enough for their bias requirements.

haha yeah that was a funny read...

Cry me a river :p

The fact is not that there is RL coverage but that AFL get so much coverage...

Well no one puts a gun to anyones head, it is obvious which code is more liked...

The wheels are turning....the tsunami is building.....BOO !! :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back