Jobe Watson FTA-TV - Jobe Watson possible role with ch7/foxtel
Dermie Dermott Brereton
Howie FTA-TV - Mark Howard
Gerard Healy Gerard Healy . Confirmation bias
David King David King
James Brayshaw BT & Brayshaw
Basil Zempilas Basil Zempilas
Wayne Carey FTA-TV - Wayne Carey

Like someone else said, stop playing the ******* gender card just because you can't handle females being criticized. If you think someone else is 'horrid' then start a ******* thread.
Well the BT and Howie threads started from praise. Watson’s was just info. Russell and Healy originated from accusations of bias against certain clubs which doesn’t seem accurate. The rest have been in the business for decade or two and have serious baggage

I mean you have Daisy on with Richo, Ling and Darcy and she’s gets targeted.

Anyway no surprise you wasted time searching those …
White male has opinion = automatic outrage

Well the BT and Howie threads started from praise. Watson’s was just info. Russell and Healy originated from accusations of bias against certain clubs which doesn’t seem accurate. The rest have been in the business for decade or two and have serious baggage

Bullshit needs to be called out. I'm sure there are threads bagging those other guys too. But nah Daisy just cops criticism because of her gender :rolleyes:

I agree that she is better than most others she works with. However, they all set the bar so low a 2 month old could roll over it. It's getting sad that suitability for positions often comes down to who's less s**t.

BT 0.5 / 10
Daisy 3 / 10

Better, but still incompetent.
Respectfully, probably not intentionally, you are comparing apples and oranges in relation to their respective roles.
Whereas; Brian Taylor is employed primarily to entertain while calling the game, however Daisy Pearce simply provides short analysis and if that happens to also be entertaining, that's a bonus.
Now if you were to compare BT to Kelli Underwood (the only women currently calling the men's game) that would have some merit...

For the record - I don't mind Daisy, while conceding I only half listen to any of them, but I also acknowledge she is part of the broadcasters objective of appealing to a more 'broader and diverse audience', which most posting on BF are not, that may also explain why some posters lambast her often bland/captain obvious comments...

Respectfully, you are comparing apples and oranges in relation to their respective roles.
Whereas; Brian Taylor is employed primarily to entertain while calling the game, however Daisy Pearce simply provides short analysis and if that happens to also be entertaining, that's a bonus.
Now if you were to compare BT to Kelli Underwood (the only women currently calling the men's game) that would have some merit...

For the record - I don't mind Daisy, while conceding I only half listen to any of them, but I also acknowledge she is part of the broadcasters objective of appealing to a more 'broader and diverse audience', which most posting on BF are not, that may also explain why some posters lambast her often bland/captain obvious comments...

The only reason I used Brian Taylor as a comparison was because that is who the poster I was responding to used. I gave my opinion on Brian Taylor not to compare him and Daisy but to demonstrate how being better than someone else doesn't absolve you from criticism or mean that you are doing a good job. I realise that the poster I was responding to was making a point that, because of her gender, Daisy is criticised more than other commentators who, although widely regarded as worse, aren't criticised as heavily.

I agree that some of her bland / captain obvious statements are quite possibly because of her being brought in to appeal to a wider audience. I have no issue with her simplifying things, my criticism is based on the fact that she offers statements with no explanation or reasoning behind them. She is billed as an expert and is part of the team to provide expert comments and explain the whys of the game but doesn't do it. I would have no issue if her explanations were simple as long as she did her job and gave them.

A good special comments person, for example Ian Thorpe during the swimming section of the Comm Games, can really enhance the viewing experience. He was excellent at 'dumbing down' the whys of the sport and explaining what was happening and why. As someone that knows very little about competitive swimming I was able to better understand why the medallists did better than the otherson a deeper level than 'they just did it quicker'.

The only reason I used Brian Taylor as a comparison was because that is who the poster I was responding to used. I gave my opinion on Brian Taylor not to compare him and Daisy but to demonstrate how being better than someone else doesn't absolve you from criticism or mean that you are doing a good job. I realise that the poster I was responding to was making a point that, because of her gender, Daisy is criticised more than other commentators who, although widely regarded as worse, aren't criticised as heavily.

I agree that some of her bland / captain obvious statements are quite possibly because of her being brought in to appeal to a wider audience. I have no issue with her simplifying things, my criticism is based on the fact that she offers statements with no explanation or reasoning behind them. She is billed as an expert and is part of the team to provide expert comments and explain the whys of the game but doesn't do it. I would have no issue if her explanations were simple as long as she did her job and gave them.

A good special comments person, for example Ian Thorpe during the swimming section of the Comm Games, can really enhance the viewing experience. He was excellent at 'dumbing down' the whys of the sport and explaining what was happening and why. As someone that knows very little about competitive swimming I was able to better understand why the medallists did better than the otherson a deeper level than 'they just did it quicker'.
As stated, I genuinely only half-listen to any of them, but for those who have a reliance on expert analysis I understand how Daisy or others, specifically Jobe 'needs a translator' Watson, can be perceived.

Also, with the quite frankly ludicrous amount of; commentators, expert analysis people, boundary riders/interviewers and also studio presenters now involved in a match broadcast, it's my observation this just contributes to the poor overall quality given most get a small window to say something entertaining or insightful or informative.
"Thanks for that Daisy, what do you reckon Hodgey?, oh sorry mate but Richo has a special guest boundary side, thanks Richo but we need to cut you off and cross to Jon Ralph with some breaking news" etc....

FFS, who's crazy idea was it/is it to deploy a cricket team of people involved in the live broadcast of a match..?

Last edited:
As stated, I genuinely only half-listen to any of them, but for those who have a reliance on expert analysis I understand how Daisy or others, specifically Jobe 'needs a translator' Watson, can be perceived.

Also, with the quite frankly ludicrous amount of; commentators, expert analysis people, boundary riders/interviewers and also studio presenters now involved in a match broadcast, it's my observation this just contributes to the poor overall quality given most get a small window to say something entertaining or insightful or informative.
"Thanks for that Daisy, what do you reckon Hodgey?, oh sorry mate but Richo has a special guest boundary side, thanks Richo but we need to cut you off and cross to Jon Ralph with some breaking news" etc....

FFS, who's crazy idea was it/is it to deploy a cricket team of people involved in the live broadcast

Hadn't thought of that but a time constraint due to needing to give everyone a say is quite probably the cause. In that case should

FFS, who's crazy idea was it/is it to deploy a cricket team of people involved in the live broadcast of a match..?

I agree that the reason for the lack of explanations could quite probably be too large a team and needing to give everyone a say. In that case, it would be interesting to hear some of the special comments people etc if there was a smaller team and if they improved.

I also pay little attention to the analysis and commentary etc although my partner who is a new AFL convert (born in New Zealand) does. This has emphasised the flaws in a lot of commentary teams to me.

At least Daisy is better than Shaun Burgoyne.

FMD. He is absolutely terrible as a boundary rider.

At least Daisy is better than Shaun Burgoyne.

FMD. He is absolutely terrible as a boundary rider.
Yes, Burgoyne may have been 'Silk' on the footy field but he's 'Hessian' in the media. The broadcasters really are pushing the envelope with some recent additions, expecting former popular players will just be accepted by audiences irrespective of their competency as media performers. Eddie Betts is the same and I actually feel for the bloke as you tell he's rarely comfortable in his new media role.

And the reality is (training and experience aside) a lot of people simply don't have the required personality traits, specific intellect or desire to even be half-decent media presenters or commentators - and given my very brief related experience, being interviewed on TV a few times many moons ago, just the amount of equipment and people involved behind the cameras by itself can be quite daunting...

It's also no secret that aside from their popularity as former players, one of the underlying reasons broadcasters employ former players is because they are cheap, actually compared to hiring qualified career TV presenters/commentators, they are dirt cheap..!

Last edited:
Most of special comments crew should be given the arse, it's fine to understand the game but if you can't articulate what's happening all you do is ruin the game flow.
Jobe Watson is the worst by a country mile, really anyone who stumbles their words or rambles on with cliche's should piss off.

Most of special comments crew should be given the arse, it's fine to understand the game but if you can't articulate what's happening all you do is ruin the game flow.
Jobe Watson is the worst by a country mile, really anyone who stumbles their words or rambles on with cliche's should piss off.
You ever heard Eddie Betts? Shaun Burgoyne? There's your trifecta, just put it in any order.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, Burgoyne may have been 'Silk' on the footy field but he's 'Hessian' in the media. The broadcasters really are pushing the envelope with some recent additions, expecting former popular players will just be accepted by audiences irrespective of their competency as media performers. Eddie Betts is the same and I actually feel for the bloke as you tell he's rarely comfortable in his new media role.

And the reality is (training and experience aside) a lot of people simply don't have the required personality traits, specific intellect or desire to even be half-decent media presenters or commentators - and given my very brief related experience, being interviewed on TV a few times many moons ago, just the amount of equipment and people involved behind the cameras by itself can be quite daunting...

It's also no secret that aside from their popularity as former players, one of the underlying reasons broadcasters employ former players is because they are cheap, actually compared to hiring qualified career TV presenters, they are dirt cheap..!
Helps to fill some quotas as well. Have to tick those HR boxes

She's fine. Wondering if there is actually a need for special commentators anymore though. What they say isn't ground breaking and not that different to the play by play commentators.

Player x needs to lift blah blah blah. Momentum has swung blah blah blah. They need to get back to basics blah blah blah. Contested ball the key blah blah blah

Save special commentary for 1/4 time, 1/2 time etc. with a studio panel

I was in another room, I'm pretty sure she was asked who'd win from here at 3/4 time. Her answer was something like its a 50/50 call? No s**t Sherlock
And those other guys would have answered the same. Ling I know has a good footy brain, but he is just so vanilla in the media. Richo, I don't know about personally but he adds nothing. Only the occasional new guy like Hodge or Bartel might actual say what they think.
Daisy had a comment before the start of yesterday's game that was spot on. I can't remember it exactly but it was what had discussed on BF as well.
The point is they are all 99% NS Sherlock calls. I turned off the sound in 1Q.

And those other guys would have answered the same. Ling I know has a good footy brain, but he is just so vanilla in the media. Richo, I don't know about personally but he adds nothing. Only the occasional new guy like Hodge or Bartel might actual say what they think.
Daisy had a comment before the start of yesterday's game that was spot on. I can't remember it exactly but it was what had discussed on BF as well.
The point is they are all 99% NS Sherlock calls. I turned off the sound in 1Q.
And at the risk of repeating myself - they are ALL directed and encouraged to appeal to the 'broader, inclusive' audiences, which in general terms most BF posters (critiquing our footy media people) are not..!

And at the risk of repeating myself - they are ALL directed and encouraged to appeal to the 'broader, inclusive' audiences, which in general terms most BF posters (critiquing our footy media people) are not..!
Totally with you on that, I've posted before that the real villains are the producers and other suits. They are the ones who decided casual watchers are the ones to target.
Need minimal play call, and one or two experts punctuating the play with coaches box comments. Not muzak

I think it’s a Watson , Burgoyne dead heat. Both are ******* terrible.

Isa Guha is a female commentator of colour, who played cricket for our biggest rival. There is plenty of praise for her commentary, because she’s very good at it.

Kath Loughnan and Sarah Jones are good. Abbey Holmes and Daisy Pearce are ordinary.

It’s not about gender, skin colour, etc, but the quality of commentary.

Everyone’s entitled to their opinion, but don’t play the gender card.

Got to say Isa is the BEST commentator in any sport . Just brilliant ! Respect

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I loved Howie , but bringing in his kid to his podcasts is unbearable, cringeworthy. STOP IT Howie , it’s awful .

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Jobe Watson is in a league of his own. Not even Silks raspy cancer voice is enough to bypass how much Jobe struggles with pronouncing the English language.

But at least the above are just special comments.

Kelli has absolutely 0 feel for the game and goes up and down at the wrong times. Ruins any game. Horrible voice.

Daisy is s**t but she’s saved by having so many worse callers to take the heat off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back