Dale Morris

Posted this in the "nice guys thread", but have to single him out here too, I saw something truly special on Sunday at the VFL.

Moz was standing watching the game with a few of the other guys a level above me, with the walkway around the oval a level below. A mum and her little boy, maybe 5 years old, came through the gate and started walking around the oval. The little boys eyes widened and his jaw dropped when he saw Moz. He was barely able to walk and his mum was unaware for a number of steps before spinning around and spotting her boy had stopped. She called him and he reluctantly grabbed her hand and walked on, mouth still wide open and eyes completely fixed on Moz. A few minutes later I saw them come back and mum stood chatting with some people while the boy made the worlds slowest advance towards Moz, it was so agonising to watch! He stood in front of me, mouth still open, and shuffled towards the ramp to get to my level, come over in my direction to check he was still there, then wandered the other way to go up the next ramp to get to the top level. He very slowly made his way up the hill, until he was maybe 15 feet away. Then he moved in literal inches. It probably took him 30 seconds to move another 2 feet! I think I'd missed 3-4 minutes of play just watching this young lad!

I couldn't stand it any more and called out to Moz that I think he had a fan. He turned to see the boy and with a big smile walked over and introduced himself and shook his hand. I've never seen a kid happier. My good deed done for the day, I turned back to watch the footy.

I'd put it out of my mind until 5 minutes later I was just looking around and noticed Moz still talking to the young fella! I'd thought maybe a bit of a handshake and a pat on the head and a quick chat but Moz was so genuine with this boy I was completely taken aback. He could've easily smiled and waved and gone back to the footy but he'd actually gone over and spent 5 minutes chatting with this little tacker! Mum eventually had to come and drag him away, otherwise I reckon Moz would still be there, happily chatting away.

Obviously we regard these guys as God-like (well, I do anyway, Moz is a ******* gun!) and the kids probably more-so, and we forget they're just normal people like everyone else. This just absolutely floored me and made me feel damn proud to be a Doggies supporter.

You're an absolute King, Dale Morris!

Yep, Moz is cut from the same cloth as Chris Grant.
Still remember his debut game when he came in as a rookie upgrade and toweled up Andrew McLeod.
Grant's 300th. Good night all round.

RedWhite&Blue

Premiership Player
Jul 21, 2005
Vic
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Grant's 300th. Good night all round.

52686452-dale-morris-and-chris-grant-for-the-bulldogs-gettyimages.jpg

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It's between Dane Rampe and Dale Morris for the third tall with Alex
Rance and Robbie Tarrant competing with Daniel Talia for the two
main defensive roles. I would give it too Rampe ahead of Morris to
be honest. Bont, Hunter and Morris should be in the squad of 40.
Grundy criminally underrated of he's not in the conversation. I'd take him ahead of both Tarrant and Talia.

Morris is a superstar. Will be a sad, sad day when he hangs them up.

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Grundy criminally underrated of he's not in the conversation. I'd take him ahead of both Tarrant and Talia.

Morris is a superstar. Will be a sad, sad day when he hangs them up.
Fair call Hard Ball Get on Grundy and Morris, i see Grundy competing
mainly with Rance for CHB the other two are more lock down full
backs for me. That is the beauty of the game though we all see
it through different eyes.

Morris is one of those players who is the fabric of our club, he is
the jumper and i hope they retire his number until a worthy
successor comes along.

Ozil

Club Legend
Dec 10, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
The world for me took a long while to get back on its axis when Hawk left , it will be worse when Moz hangs up the boots .
What a gun this bloke is !
Haha, brilliantly put. Moz is a rock of consistency in every Bulldog fan's life.

Let's hope retirement is a few years away yet.

Back