Dale Thomas bump on Greenwood, BANNED 1 week

Remove this Banner Ad

Despite the commentator's initial reaction Thomas' bump on the Greenwood doesn't look to be head clash, rather Thomas' upper arm connects flush with Greenwood's chin leaving him concussed.

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2018-06-24/greenwood-day-over-with-concussion

upload_2018-6-24_23-14-30.png

upload_2018-6-24_23-13-48.png

upload_2018-6-24_23-11-32.png

upload_2018-6-24_23-13-7.png

EDIT:
http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2018-06-25/thomas-suspended
CARLTON'S Dale Thomas has been charged with engaging in rough conduct after match review officer Michael Christian handed down his findings on Monday evening.

The incident occurred in the the third quarter of Sunday’s clash against Collingwood at the MCG.

Based on the available evidence and a medical report from the Collingwood Football Club, the incident involving Levi Greenwood from Collingwood was classified as careless conduct with medium impact to the head.

Thomas can accept a one-match sanction with an early plea.

Last edited:
I haven't seen the incident, and these images do not shed any light on it.
Link to the video is in the OP.

The images show some of the distance Thomas ran to bump and the point of contact (upper arm to chin).

2 at most
You might be right and it probably depends if the impact is classified as medium (2 weeks) or high (3 weeks). The concussion won't help, but it will likely come down the medical report.

Previously I've held the view that the AFL looks at the desired penalty and classifies things accordingly. Cameron's elbow may be a consideration here as there's no way Thomas should get the same whack; for mine Thomas should get a couple of week's less.

Legal shepherd within 5m of the ball that resulted in a headclashes.

0 weeks

Edit: watching it again, shoulder may clip him under the chin, very hard to see, my gut feel is that it was a head clash as from front on it appears Thomas's shoulder is below Greenwood's head.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

how is this any worse than the burton higgins incident?

The Higgins incident was worse imo, as Higgins had the ball so Burton had the option to tackle, Thomas had no such option as Greenwood didn't have the ball.

There was also vision that showed Burton had hit Higgins with both his shoulder and the accidental clash of heads, but the MRP decided to ignore the medical report and claim there was only head contact. Burton's shoulder made contact with Higgins face, that was what required surgery to correct the damage to his mouth, the concussion came from the head blow to his temple region, he was out cold at the point of contact.

Christian and Hocking are buffoons, they should be shown the door, they have made the MRP/Tribunal a bigger circus than it was before and their mandate was to create some consistency.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back