Toast Dale Thomas

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This may sound harsh, but Thomas is performing at a level that he should be, nothing exceptional, but it looks it because he has done SFA in his past years.

He is there as guidance and depth as are a few others, unfortunately or fortunately for him and others, due to injuries, they are in the side. These players and Daisy don't hurt the opposition but they play their role but they don't win you games especially as senior players.

If he gets a contract extension so be it, hopefully he gets it for the right reason and not because of who he is.

Thomas is and always has been a player who plays well in a better team. He's an outside player and a forward. These guys need to team going well to play well. When he was at his peak he was in a very good Collingwood side, the ball was won a lot, sent forward a lot and he was a key in applying pressure and finishing off.

I think the fact that he's now performing in a weak side has a lot to do with him adjusting to that and is a credit to him.

We have a number of players on our list that would be very good in a strong side. Our entire backline, particularly our more attacking defenders such as Weitering and Jones. Murphy is a AA in a strong side and you would imagine that youngsters like Fisher, Dow and O'Brien would excelle in a side that can control the footy and win plenty of it.

It's just that a solid core of players who can win the ball and control a game is what we lack. Thank god for Cripps and Ed Curnow.

Bloke took his contract clause last year worth hundreds of thousands and tore it up.. not sure how many people would have done that.. bloke gives 100 percent every week and by all accounts is great to have around the club and a good role model for the younger brigade..

I feel I need to correct this. He had a clause that if he played a certain amount of games last year it triggered a large contract for this year. The club were never going to allow that to happen especially given its value and what he had been paid already. By releasing the contract he was able to keep playing and get a contract for this year thus earning more than he would have had he kept the clause. In the end it allowed him to get a contract for this season that he never would have got. He was one of the last ones signed and to a one year base minimum deal.

I think simmo should seriously consider retiring at the end of this year. Wouldn’t like to see him struggling in his final year. He’ll reach his 300 milestone this year. Would like to see him go out on a high.
I reckon he will, such a team player he wouldn't want to keep spot from a younger kid, plus there are others ready to take his spot.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I’m not as easily pleased. He wouldn’t get a game at any other AFL club. He’s not strong at the ball and his decision making and ball use is below ordinary, l.E his banana type kick into our 50 last week. He’s a player with a broken body that has gone on 2-3 years too long. Sorry for the negativity but that’s how I see it
He's like Cas, their blood sweat and tears are appreciated, but they represent where we don't want to be much longer

I reckon he will, such a team player he wouldn't want to keep spot from a younger kid, plus there are others ready to take his spot.

We will bring in a minimum 8 new players at the end of the year through the draft and trade/FA period. A couple of F/S look good as well. Go through our list and work out who then goes?

A quick scan brings up 11 for mine. I reckon the backline will be much younger and solidified with Byrne, Docherty, Williamson back.

Retirement possibilities:
Simmo
Rowe
A Silvagni

De-list possibilities:
O'Shea
Shaw
Glass-McCasker
Lamb
LeBois

Trade possibilities:
Casboult
Murphy
Jones

Wright has looked quite slow this year as well.

A quick scan brings up 11 for mine. I reckon the backline will be much younger and solidified with Byrne, Docherty, Williamson back.

Retirement possibilities:
Simmo
Rowe
A Silvagni

De-list possibilities:
O'Shea
Shaw
Glass-McCasker
Lamb
LeBois

Trade possibilities:
Casboult
Murphy
Jones

Wright has looked quite slow this year as well.

I don't think we will trade anyone. This year will be delistings, FA's & bringing in some genuine A grade talent. When I go through list and look at options I really have trouble seeing Thomas on our list in 2019

Thomas could remain as a NB development coach and player.

Re: trades, I thought we would do something about the high number of tall backs and move one on

I don't think we will trade anyone. This year will be delistings, FA's & bringing in some genuine A grade talent. When I go through list and look at options I really have trouble seeing Thomas on our list in 2019
Agreed that the team will be all the stronger if/when Thomas is pushed out of our best 22, however he currently adds genuine value to the team and will definitely be retained (on current form/barring injury).

He is playing much better footy this year and is in our top 5 so far, so it’s hard to understand your thinking.

I too am looking forward to next year when Doc, Murph, Williamson, Weiters all to come back in our best team PLUS hopefully a RFA and a draft top 10 selection- onballer.

But, the club has said they will not make huge changes so I can only see 6-8 being moved on.
Simmo, Rowe and ASOS will most likely retire.
O’Shea, Shaw, Graham, JGM, Lebois & Byrne have not proven they are AFL quality players and will be moved on if they don’t show any improvement

There’s 9 players that will go before daisy, IF he maintains his current form.

Last edited:
I'm pretty happy Daisy is still with us TBH. Not just his possession/tackle count etc. but also because is one of the very few who can read the play/setup the play (I put Jones, Marchbank, and Dow in this 'few' also).

Knows how to find the ball and where to kick it. We would be seriously F#<%load worse if he wasn't in the side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed that the team will be all the stronger if/when Thomas is pushed out of our best 22, however he currently adds genuine value to the team and will definitely be retained (on current form/barring injury).

He is playing much better footy this year and is in our top 5 so far, so it’s hard to understand your thinking.

I too am looking forward to next year when Doc, Murph, Williamson, Weiters all to come back in our best team PLUS hopefully a RFA and a draft top 10 selection- onballer.

But, the club has said they will not make huge changes so I can only see 6-8 being moved on.
Simmo, Rowe and ASOS will most likely retire.
O’Shea, Shaw, Graham, JGM, Lebois & Byrne have not proven they are AFL quality players and will be moved on if they don’t show any improvement

There’s 9 players that will go before daisy, IF he maintains his current form.

Lots of players injured and although he is doing okay he isn't exactly influencing games. We are 0-7. I'd be in our Top 5 this year we are doing so badly. When we get our list together and a good run with injuries plus another 8 or so better players he won't be close to selection.

8 changes isn't many these days and when we will have pick 1 or 2, 2 x second rounders, atleast one FA and a trade for future picks and possibly 3 F/S's, a couple of late SOS gold picks, plus rookies we will hit 8 easily. Last year was 14 so it's no where near as much. Rowe will stay as will LeBois & Byrne. Simmo & ASOS are better options than Daisy. How quickly people forget.

I have no doubt he will not be on our list next year. He is getting the absolute best out of himself at the moment and it's just okay and he won't get any better. It's only round 7. Long way to go

Last edited:
I'm pretty happy Daisy is still with us TBH. Not just his possession/tackle count etc. but also because is one of the very few who can read the play/setup the play (I put Jones, Marchbank, and Dow in this 'few' also).

Knows how to find the ball and where to kick it. We would be seriously F#<%load worse if he wasn't in the side.

??

Lots of players injured and although he is doing okay he isn't exactly influencing games. We are 0-7. I'd be in our Top 5 this year we are doing so badly. When we get our list together and a good run with injuries plus another 8 or so better players he won't be close to selection.

8 changes isn't many these days and when we will have pick 1 or 2, 2 x second rounders, atleast one FA and a trade for future picks and possibly 3 F/S's, a couple of late SOS gold picks, plus rookies we will hit 8 easily. Last year was 14 so it's no where near as much. Rowe will stay as will LeBois & Byrne. Simmo & ASOS are better options than Daisy. How quickly people forget.

I have no doubt he will not be on our list next year. He is getting the absolute best out of himself at the moment and it's just okay and he won't get any better. It's only round 7. Long way to go
Ok. So you disregard his form with the throwaway line that even you would be in our top 5, yet there’s still 35 fit players on our list - if Daisy’s so bad, why aren’t they in our top 5?

No-one forgets how good Simmo has been (he’s one of my favourites), but time looks to have finally caught up with the 34 year old veteran, who by the way is 4 years older than daisy and not in our top 10 players this year. So on those facts, why does he get another year ahead of Daisy?

ASOS has played 6 games out of 30, Byrne has played 30 games in 6 years and has gone backwards and has never taken hold of an AFL match. Lebois has been on the list two years and has struggled at VFL level. So how on earth are they better options?

And finally, they will not cut an experienced 30 year old in good form (Daisy) for an untried rookie/late draft pick. That would be pure madness..

Ok. So you disregard his form with the throwaway line that even you would be in our top 5, yet there’s still 35 fit players on our list - if Daisy’s so bad, why aren’t they in our top 5?

No-one forgets how good Simmo has been (he’s one of my favourites), but time looks to have finally caught up with the 34 year old veteran, who by the way is 4 years older than daisy and not in our top 10 players this year. So on those facts, why does he get another year ahead of Daisy?

ASOS has played 6 games out of 30, Byrne has played 30 games in 6 years and has gone backwards and has never taken hold of an AFL match. Lebois has been on the list two years and has struggled at VFL level. So how on earth are they better options?

And finally, they will not cut an experienced 30 year old in good form (Daisy) for an untried rookie/late draft pick. That would be pure madness..

I think he's been okay, nothing great. Let's just wait until the end of the year, it's only round 7. IMO Daisy is very unlikely to be at Carlton in 2019 for numerous reasons.

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
Beat me to it Doormat ^^^^^ (great name - no.11 is my all-time favourite!).

To summarise the HS article above: Daisy has measured elite in FOUR areas in the AFL for defenders. So many on here bang on about this young player and that young player...but none on our list have come close to this.

To put it in perspective, would fans of clubs with 30 year olds demand that they be delisted? Players such as:
Jarrad McVeigh
Bernie Vince
Shaun Higgins
Eddie Betts (great player currently out of form)

Then there's the older blokes recruited to young teams:
Luke Hodge
Jordan Lewis
Jarrad Waite
Daniel Wells
Gary Ablett
Bryce Gibbs

I know I'm going on about this, but it frustrates me no-end when I hear the "He's keeping our young players out" or "his best is way past him" or "it would be disastrous if he is in the team next year". He is playing solid footy and there is no-one else at the club who has put up their hand to replace him. Why on earth would supporters of a team that has not won a game, want to delist him? I think it's more about the Thomas of the first 3.5 years than the Thomas of the last year (his last dozen games of 2017 were also very good).

In saying all that; Daisy has to perform to this level (and hopefully remain injury free) for the rest of the year to EARN another 1 year contract. I hope he does. I think he's good for us..

Last edited:
This may sound harsh, but Thomas is performing at a level that he should be, nothing exceptional, but it looks it because he has done SFA in his past years.

He is there as guidance and depth as are a few others, unfortunately or fortunately for him and others, due to injuries, they are in the side. These players and Daisy don't hurt the opposition but they play their role but they don't win you games especially as senior players.

If he gets a contract extension so be it, hopefully he gets it for the right reason and not because of who he is.
Role players are very important to teams, whether challenging for a premiership or languishing at the other end of the ladder.

Not every player is capable of being a matchwinner. This again applies to teams both at the top & at the bottom. Richmond have role players who don't hurt the opposition. Hawthorn had them, Geelong had them.

I think he's been okay, nothing great. Let's just wait until the end of the year, it's only round 7. IMO Daisy is very unlikely to be at Carlton in 2019 for numerous reasons.
Barring serious injury or wanting to move on, Daisy will definitely be in next years team IMHO. At present we don't have enough leaders.
Yes we will have Docherty & Murphy back, and players such as Marchbank are really starting to step up and make good decisions, but we still don't have enough experienced players to let Daisy go just yet. He is key to setting up plays and getting us back on track when we start to wane.

I would argue that he has the best footy brain of ALL the players at the club, but is on occasion let down by an ailing body or skill error.

Barring serious injury or wanting to move on, Daisy will definitely be in next years team IMHO. At present we don't have enough leaders.
Yes we will have Docherty & Murphy back, and players such as Marchbank are really starting to step up and make good decisions, but we still don't have enough experienced players to let Daisy go just yet. He is key to setting up plays and getting us back on track when we start to wane.

I would argue that he has the best footy brain of ALL the players at the club, but is on occasion let down by an ailing body or skill error.

Totally disagree. We have more than enough experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back