Dale Thomas

Remove this Banner Ad

You're probably right but unfortunately if you're out there playing, all criticism is warranted and the old 'body is cooked' cop out just doesn't suffice.

Played all but one game in 2014 and didn't even get a top 10 club B&F finish. Says it all.
Criticism is fine but can't understand why so many people are surprised by how he plays.

It was a massive story in 2012 when the problems began and it's pretty clear to see the effects it has had on him. He's gone from a hard at it, fast and silky player to a guy who is too slow, unable
to impact contests anymore

Was a great player. Injuries before trading to Carlton cooked him, such a shame.

Every person on the Collingwood board knew it was a horrible decision by Carlton and god knows why no one at the club stoped it.

Mick loves him and got him a stupid deal.

$700k or something ridiculous a season

A limited player

Is Carlton better off just copping the wasted $$$ and not playing him or is he clear best 22 in the team
It's a shame but think you are correct. I know he had some injuries but he never showed a tenth of the form he had at the pies, since he's joined Carlton.

It's like a switch was flicked when he went across and he became sub-average.

He's not showing he deserves a game in front of the youth. They have some good young'uns and with a bit of time will come good.

It's a shame but think you are correct. I know he had some injuries but he never showed a tenth of the form he had at the pies, since he's joined Carlton.

It's like a switch was flicked when he went across and he became sub-average.

He's not showing he deserves a game in front of the youth. They have some good young'uns and with a bit of time will come good.
There's nobody really knocking on the door to replace him yet. Until there is, he'll get games.

Plus maybe he provides some leadership for the younger blokes?

Ultimately it doesn't really matter because he's being paid regardless and we're not striving for finals so his performance isn't a huge issue.

He was a gun at his best. I would argue though that there are some really talented players that are guns because of their physical and athletic attributes and without that they can go from elite players to not even worth being in the best 22.

Dale Thomas is a great example. Cooney was probably another - at his best he was amazing. Someone like Naitanui would fall into this category if he suffers a serious injury AND doesn't heal up well (I really hope he comes back well from his ACL) but yeah I don't think he would be a great footballer without that athleticism.

On the flip side a guy like Sam Mitchell or Bartel (when he was still playing) were examples of guys not nearly as dependent on their athletic talent.

Carlton should show him the door at years end. He's not even worthwhile as a best 22 player.

Similar to Goddard in that he was unstoppable in his prime, then switched clubs and became irrelevant.

Maybe a bit harsh to compare the two as Goddard is still pretty handy, but make no mistake they were both top 10 players in the comp a few years back.

Similar to Goddard in that he was unstoppable in his prime, then switched clubs and became irrelevant.

Maybe a bit harsh to compare the two as Goddard is still pretty handy, but make no mistake they were both top 10 players in the comp a few years back.

Yes that is harsh and disrespectful. Goddard won a BnF and his output is more than reasonable. Thomas has been on the KFC for the past 4 preseasons.

Can you blame him?

You guys are rebuilding and will be bottom four and he probably knows this will be his last year. He has shown he can be a good footballer and has won a flag at the club he was drafted at. He is just cashing a cheque at the blues and seeing out his contract.

He would have no love for Carlton outside of the $$$.

I don't blame him at all. I blame the club for picking him in the best 22 when he adds nothing

There's nobody really knocking on the door to replace him yet. Until there is, he'll get games.

Plus maybe he provides some leadership for the younger blokes?

Ultimately it doesn't really matter because he's being paid regardless and we're not striving for finals so his performance isn't a huge issue.
You know you're list better than I do but it would be a shame if he squeezes out guys like SPS or Pickett during the season.

Yes that is harsh and disrespectful. Goddard won a BnF and his output is more than reasonable. Thomas has been on the KFC for the past 4 preseasons.
He did a shoulder in the season where he was probably primed to play some good footy.

Wouldn't surprise me if he lost a lot of interest after that. The whole season ended up being a train wreck for Carlton.

I think there are guys who didn't play tonight who at worst would play similar.

Would of preferred Kerridge, he can do some horrendous things but at least gets stuck in the contest and can run all day. We also lacked contested ball winners with Cripps still being underdone

Daisy is a slow outside player who doesn't use the ball well when he gets it. This in AFL terms makes him useless.
i agree kerridge and palmer for white and thomas next week.

To be fair, the majority of the football community thought Adelaide offering Betts that much was ridiculous and irresponsible. He has been worth every dollar and more and has taken his game to a much higher level at the Crows.

$500k seemed like overs at the time given Betts' season, but FAs typically move for considerably better offers. Carlton reported a 3 year deal worth $900k less over the life of the respective contracts.

$750k is big, big money - particularly when there wasn't exactly a bidding war to sign Thomas. It was a gamble and it didn't pay off. Losing Betts in the process just adds insult to injury but it's done. It's an awkward position now for Brendon Bolton with one of his highest paid players being a GOP and turning 30 with another year left after this one on his contract during a rebuilding phase.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

$500k seemed like overs at the time given Betts' season, but FAs typically move for considerably better offers. Carlton reported a 3 year deal worth $900k less over the life of the respective contracts.

$750k is big, big money - particularly when there wasn't exactly a bidding war to sign Thomas. It was a gamble and it didn't pay off. Losing Betts in the process just adds insult to injury but it's done. It's an awkward position now for Brendon Bolton with one of his highest paid players being a GOP and turning 30 with another year left after this one on his contract during a rebuilding phase.
It's not really that awkward. He'll get some games, provide some experience and then he'll be gone by the time this list should start moving up the ladder.

you gotta pay him whether he plays or not. he shouldn't be getting game but i wish i could sit here and tell you that there's someone better waiting in the wings...i really wish i could tell you that...
A shadow of his former self. Kerridge and Palmer could play his role and are harder at it. Palmer played in last years Prelim for GWS!
At his age he won't be part of the next Carlton premiership team so not much point playing him.

Through no fault of his own his body has just let him down. Was a very damaging player at Collingwood

Not entirely true.
Story goes that he would be out surfing when supposed to be rehabbing from his ankle injury in his last year at the pies... probably not the best way for an ankle to rest up.

At the end of the day Carlton paid overs for a guy they thought could get back to his peak (probably largely influenced by Mick) - Collingwood had no desire to match, and were happy with the draft compensation.

In hindsight, one club made the right decision - one didnt.
As FA becomes more common, every club will find itself on either side of this ledger at different times.

Last edited:
Checked out as soon as he got that unjustified paycheck. Overrated player in his prime. One of the few players who wasn't Carlton, just a dud before hand.

I disagree, even though he's terrible his work rate is quite high, but his body is cooked due to injuries and he'll never be up to a decent standard again.

Goddard is only handy if there is a police strike and then traffic lights go out

Remove this Banner Ad

Back