Dale Thomas

Remove this Banner Ad

Similar to Goddard in that he was unstoppable in his prime, then switched clubs and became irrelevant.

Maybe a bit harsh to compare the two as Goddard is still pretty handy, but make no mistake they were both top 10 players in the comp a few years back.

Whoa that's heaps harsh on Goddard. He not only won a B&F at Essendon but has been a consistent top 10 if not top 5 player for us during that time. I think 2017 will be the first year where it will be hard for him to make it into our top 10 B&F (still a solid chance though).

He basically had 2 years at the Saints in 2010/2011 where he was among the best in the comp. For the rest of his career he's been a quality good to very good footballer without being an out and out star. I suspect if Essendon's story had been a bit different he might be viewed as something more akin to Burgoyne who is very much an extremely talented role player.

To compare to Thomas who is literally on the fringe at a side tipped to win the spoon is pretty over the top.

It still kills the Pies supporters that he left? Stop being jilted lovers - didn't you get a draft pick that you used on the superstar Taylor Adams (oh wait)
I have no love for either you or the Pies but id suggest you blokes lose massively between Adams and Thomas.... In some peoples eyes Adams could be the Pies next skipper, and by than surely you will have cut your losses and delisted Thomas.

I have no love for either you or the Pies but id suggest you blokes lose massively between Adams and Thomas.... In some peoples eyes Adams could be the Pies next skipper, and by than surely you will have cut your losses and delisted Thomas.

My comment was half tongue in cheek.

Thomas is literally the worst purchase in the history of free agency. Cost us Eddie Betts or a top 20 pick for him going.

It still kills the Pies supporters that he left? Stop being jilted lovers - didn't you get a draft pick that you used on the superstar Taylor Adams (oh wait)

Wait what? I think most pies fans have been reasonable in this thread. A lot of the negative comments are from other clubs.
Adams was a trade for Heath Shaw - and I reckon that is win-win. Adams is a very good young mid, who is never gonna be truly elite, but would do very well in any lineup as that 3rd or 4th mid who plays the tough inside game, and likely our next captain. (Shaw has done very well now that he's matured, but things werent gonna change without some serious growing up and he got the kick in the pants he needed - i wouldve loved him to still be at the Pies, but fully support the decision that wad made).

As for Thomas my thoughts have not changed.
At his best he was great - there were questions about his health and whether he could back to his best.
We didn't want to match the salary and were happy with a 1st round pick as compo as a bonus (Matt Scharenberg from memory - still hasnt got a healthy run at it so hard to judge... maybe end up being a "bust" but i hope not. Still a talented kid).

As I've said - every club will make good and bad decisions as FA and trading becomes more common.
Not sure whats bitter about that.

Obviously Mick was channelling Vito Corleone and made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

we_did_it_mick.jpg

Not sure if it has been mentioned, but the story goes that the Pies wanted him to have an op on his ankle at the end of 2012 and he told them it was fine because he wanted to go on a surfing holiday.
When he got back from this month long safari, he told them his ankle was rooted and the Pies were not happy.
The relationship was compromised all year and the Pies were happy to let him go.

His game at its best was built on workrate and pace and overhead strength.
Once he lost motivation and ability to work hard, his kicking skills have been exposed as atrocious.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was a gun half a decade ago mate.... Im sure Carlton fans don't care one bit how good he was at the pies, it is how he is at your club that counts, and he has earnt 700k roughly a year at the blues giving SFA in return form wise.

Clearly I was referring to those who said he was never any good or overrated. I didn't mention his time at Carlton. He's clearly finished and has been for a while.

He averages 14 games a year and goes into the third year of his four year contract on the edge of the 22. You got sold a lemon.
Like I said, not everyone can be pretty footballers. We took a gamble, and it's about a 50/50 at the moment in terms of good decision vs bad decision.

Is the oh wait because you realised Adams had nothing to do with us letting Thomas go as FA, or because you realise he's a very good footballer and would be your second best mid behind Cripps?

Very harsh thread. Even as far back as his TAC Cup days, he was a proven finals football performer. That reputation will remain well and truly intact at Carlton.

I think Adams has Thomas covered lol....
Why are we comparing Thomas to Adams. Adams was a trade with GWS. Thomas came as a free agent all we lost for the possibility of getting pick 14 after our first round as compensation for betts. Although the afl would of never given Carlton a first round compensation for betts but it would of looked terrible after how he'd performed at Adelaide. Carlton would of taken Cam McCarthy at 14 anyway which is who was debated for at 13.

He's clocked 200 and based on last night it's a waste of time playing him again.

Surely Carlton have another ex-GWS player ready to go?
Hopper + change for a future pick coming soon. Maybe Fyfe will join him with a huge price tag that's unmatchable.

It won't matter in the end. The 700k he frees up rmd of year as well as the 95% of cap Carlton have paid for a maximum of two consecutive years gives us 1 million free space just from that. Take into account the other poor MALTHOUSE ERA player payment for vfl jones and it's pushing 1.5 million cap space and the extra fromtje new negotiations. Who else had that kind of free cash??

It won't matter in the end. The 700k he frees up rmd of year as well as the 95% of cap Carlton have paid for a maximum of two consecutive years gives us 1 million free space just from that. Take into account the other poor MALTHOUSE ERA player payment for vfl jones and it's pushing 1.5 million cap space and the extra fromtje new negotiations. Who else had that kind of free cash??

Nobody is worried about your perceive amount of salary cap space. Carlton has a long and repeated history of squandering it.

Ideally he'd get squeezed out by a kid. Not ideal having a player on such money relegated to the VFL, but at the same time, you can't have a player get a spot on the AFL team every week just because of a mistake that was made.

He is a good fella otherwise and I can only hope he helps out plenty with the youngsters... but otherwise I don't think there's any super happy endings here.

Nobody is worried about your perceive amount of salary cap space. Carlton has a long and repeated history of squandering it.
Things are looking up however with better people on board responsible for the decisions with it this time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back