Toast Dale Thomas

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sadly, 2019 will be Daisy's playing swansong (least at Carlton, not sure if he will play on elsewhere)

Really won us over with his on field leadership and courage and effort during some rough and tumble times for the club.

I am certain i'm not the only one here who will miss Dale Thomas and what a great Clubman he became.

Carved up a great career for a shy country boy who grew up without a Father (Mick Malthouse wrote glowingly about Daisy and how professional and dedicated he was when drafted by the Pies in his book, The Earth is slow but the Ox is Patient)

All the best to you and your family in the future DT, really hope you can return to Ikon Park someday in a coaching capacity !

images

Sadly, 2019 will be Daisy's playing swansong (least at Carlton, not sure if he will play on elsewhere)

Really won us over with his on field leadership and courage and effort during some rough and tumble times for the club.

I am certain i'm not the only one here who will miss Dale Thomas and what a great Clubman he became.

Carved up a great career for a shy country boy who grew up without a Father (Mick Malthouse wrote glowingly about Daisy and how professional and dedicated he was when drafted by the Pies in his book, The Earth is slow but the Ox is Patient)

All the best to you and your family in the future DT, really hope you can return to Ikon Park someday in a coaching capacity !

images

Is this an opinion?

Is this an opinion?

All the news reports are saying DT will announce his Carlton retirement this afternoon. Has not been offered a new contract.

Think there are too many reliable sources reporting it for it to be true.

Gutted, but I can understand the club's reasoning for it, even if I disagree with it.

On the other hand, I would hate Daisy to be one of those great players who went on one year too long (like Roughie at Hawthorn, arguably)

I don't want to see him off until he actually announces it.

Sorry in have been out of the loop all day with work related stuff, I assumed it already had been announced.

Never a good or happy time to toast a fan favourite player departing (and Daisy really became a fave of mine)

Apologies if I jumped the gun prematurely. I am in a bit of shock over the news tbh.

All the news reports are saying DT will announce his Carlton retirement this afternoon. Has not been offered a new contract.

Think there are too many reliable sources reporting it for it to be true.

Gutted, but I can understand the club's reasoning for it, even if I disagree with it.

On the other hand, I would hate Daisy to be one of those great players who went on one year too long (like Roughie at Hawthorn, arguably)

Haven't seen any saying this afternoon.

Tomorrow according to Ralphy!

Dale Thomas will retire with his name on a Carlton locker when his career comes to a close in 10 days’ time.

Thomas will play his 100th game for Carlton against St Kilda on Saturday and is expected to announce his retirement at a retirement press conference on Friday as part of that milestone

His goal against the bulldogs in round 13 and the reaction it drew from the playing group is just about the my best memory of this season.
I’m not ready to accept he won’t be going around again. But if he doesn’t, would be very surprised if he doesn’t stay working at the club!

Sorry in have been out of the loop all day with work related stuff, I assumed it already had been announced.

Never a good or happy time to toast a fan favourite player departing (and Daisy really became a fave of mine)

Apologies if I jumped the gun prematurely. I am in a bit of shock over the news tbh.
Not having a go at you brother, people are saying he's coming to the end all over the place and being that that includes our ITK posters, it's likely true. It's more I just want to hang onto some small hope he stays on one more year and don't want to commit to truly seeing him off yet.

I got a lotta love for the bloke too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the club is banking on Williamson and Doc to take his spot then that is a pretty big risk.. They've played a combined 2 games in the last 2 years
I guess the silver lining here is it means simpson's going round one more time next season. At the Half way point in the season i would have retired him then but his form over the last few weeks warrants another year.

It’s strange how media are talking about his retirement or not being offered a new contract when it hasn’t been officially announced. How would they know.
It does kind of feel like digging a bloke's grave and saying "get in" before he's dead, doesn't it.

If we're pushing Thomas out then this is a bad decision from Carlton.

If we have to push him out because of who is coming in or he wants to give it away then so be it.

Certainly playing very good football after taking a good while to get his body going.

Love how he plays hard footy in a team that has a lot that don't. Has got his skills and fitness going well and the quality of the footy he is playing is top shelf.

Would hate to be relying on Docherty and Williamson to get fit and Simpson not to fall in a heap.

We delist Thomas and go into 2020 and Docherty and/or Williamson don't come up and Simpson's bod starts to fail him then we're in a fair bit of trouble IMO. But we don't know who's coming in so there is that.

Has quickly become my favorite Carlton player after Gibbs left. I will be devastated if true. It simply makes no sense. If they have to make a list spot surely Simpson goes before Thomas (based on age as they contribute equally).

We have been caught short on backline this year with depth so relying on Doc, Williamson and Simpson next year seems optimistic and risky.

Will be sad to see him go, he's one I think a lot of fans don't really appreciate enough. My old man reckons he's a waste of list space, but he doesn't really take the time to watch Daisy's game and his opinion is pretty well drawn from "we paid him big money when we got him, he should be a jet", which is remarkably unfair.

Last I check he was top 2 or 3 in the side for disposal efficiency, which I find astounding given a common "uneducated" opinion is that his disposal is s**t.

Heart and soul player, been great for the kids coming through and has doubtlessly contributed to creating a positive/enjoyable culture at the club.

As far as replacing him goes, I don't think we'll miss the on-field too much. SPS shifted down back permanently, Docherty/Willo hopefully back into the mix, Newman finding some confidence, Stocker blooded down back - we've got it covered a few ways. Depending on other acquisitions, it may well be that Daisy making way is what keeps one of Gibbons, Dow, O'Brien, Kennedy or Cuningham in the senior side.

It's the intangibles that will leave a bit of a hole though, hoping a few more "personalities" start to stand out.

Tipping he goes straight into a media gig, which suits him to a tee, though I'd love to see him involved in the club in some capacity.

Last edited:
Will be sad to see him go, he's one I think a lot of fans don't really appreciate enough. My old man reckons he's a waste of list space, but he doesn't really take the time to watch Daisy's game and his opinion is pretty well drawn from "we paid him big money when we got him, he should be a jet", which is remarkably unfair.

Last I check he was top 2 or 3 in the side for disposal efficiency, which I find astounding given a common "uneducated" opinion is that his disposal is s**t.

Heart and soul player, been great for the kids coming through and has doubtlessly contributed to creating a positive/enjoyable culture at the club.

As far as replacing him goes, I don't think we'll miss the on-field too much. SPS shifted down back permanently, Docherty/Willo hopefully back into the mix, Newman finding some confidence, Stocker blooded down back - we've got it covered a few ways. Depending on other acquisitions, it may well be that Daisy making way is what keeps one of Gibbons, Dow, O'Brien, Kennedy or Cuningham in the senior side.

It's the intangibles that will leave a bit of a hole though, hoping a few more "personalities" start to stand out.

Tipping he goes straight into a media gig, which suits him to a tee, though I'd love to see him involved in the club in some capacity.
Absolutely ... imo players who play with guts and passion for 120 minutes every single week ... who leave nothing out there ... you keep around as long as they are physically up to it ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back