Toast Dale Thomas

Remove this Banner Ad

Daisy has decided to call it quits at the end of the season. While he didn't leave the club on the best of terms, he was still a brilliant player for us, especially in those 2010-11 seasons.

I think it's time that we as a club appreciate what he has done for the team.

Thanks Daisy for all your contributions to the club, and football as a whole!!

I *ing loved him, then I *ing hated him. So I guess he ends up in the middle.

I don't watch a heap of Carlton so I'm not an expect on what he did there but for us he was an excitement machine, from his very first game he was taking hangers and kicking goals, doing great tackles, he had it all. He was my favourite, any time he went near it something good would happen.

I remember arguing with my late mate early in his career who would end up better, Thomas or Pendlebury? At that stage, I had Thomas.

Remember we took Dale Thomas before Scott Pendlebury...

One and a half year wonder.

Nah he had it from day dot, then he peaked 2010-11, then his ankle injury took away his leap and some of his pace and he had to settle on being a good, ordinary player.

But for basically all his Collingwood career he was a star. Remember from pretty much his first year onwards the junior members section of the club was called the DT13 club or something. He was a cult hero before 2010.

Wikipedia will help refresh some memories of Dale starring as soon as he arrived in 2006...

Thomas made his debut in the AFL in round one of the 2006 AFL Season, in Collingwood's match against the Adelaide Crows. Thomas gathered 16 disposals, kicked two goals and took a spectacular mark on an Adelaide opponent's back. In Collingwood's round two win against Hawthorn gathered twenty disposals and was nominated for the 2006 AFL Rising Star award. By round two he had become a cult figure at Collingwood.

Thomas became so popular in his first season of AFL that guernseys bearing his name sold twice as many as the then captain, Nathan Buckley, at the club's merchandise shop.

Just need Heath to pull the pin and both can come back for next year's 10th reunion not being active players for other clubs.

I'd like to see that.

All the best Daisy, when on song, healthy, and in the black and white you were amazing. Ross Lyon declared him the best player in the comp in 2011, and he was IMO.

As an aside, this is a toast thread, if you can't chime in with something positive then don't post. Resist the temptation to be an arse.

Part of Collingwood history.
Always a premiership player.

Wish him well.

(Staggered if Carlton doesn’t give him one more game to get to 100. Unless he’s injured. Father son as you never know.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Part of Collingwood history.
Always a premiership player.

Wish him well.

(Staggered if Carlton doesn’t give him one more game to get to 100. Unless he’s injured. Father son as you never know.)

I think they made the list management decisions now on Thomas and Simpson so now Thomas can have a proper sendoff and say goodbye. Well handled by them.

Nah he had it from day dot, then he peaked 2010-11, then his ankle injury took away his leap and some of his pace and he had to settle on being a good, ordinary player.

But for basically all his Collingwood career he was a star. Remember from pretty much his first year onwards the junior members section of the club was called the DT13 club or something. He was a cult hero before 2010.
Yep, the kids loved him, it was called Thommo's Team 13. My son still has the cap from when he was a junior member.

Wikipedia will help refresh some memories of Dale starring as soon as he arrived in 2006...

Thomas made his debut in the AFL in round one of the 2006 AFL Season, in Collingwood's match against the Adelaide Crows. Thomas gathered 16 disposals, kicked two goals and took a spectacular mark on an Adelaide opponent's back. In Collingwood's round two win against Hawthorn gathered twenty disposals and was nominated for the 2006 AFL Rising Star award. By round two he had become a cult figure at Collingwood.

Thomas became so popular in his first season of AFL that guernseys bearing his name sold twice as many as the then captain, Nathan Buckley, at the club's merchandise shop.
I was lucky enough to be at that game sitting directly behind Daisy's mum and her mate who were introduced at the pre-game function. Like any mum of a good footy player in Gippsland she would have done plenty for Daisy's career, not to mention how many car miles. I will never forget seeing how elated/relieved his mum was when he took that hanger. It is one of my happiest spectating memories.

I was lucky enough to be at that game sitting directly behind Daisy's mum and her mate who were introduced at the pre-game function. Like any mum of a good footy player in Gippsland she would have done plenty for Daisy's career, not to mention how many car miles. I will never forget seeing how elated/relieved his mum was when he took that hanger. It is one of my happiest spectating memories.

Every player and their family would be shitting themselves wondering if they are good enough to make it at the top level, even if they got drafted high it doesn't guarantee they will be good enough so I'd understand her relief that he fit in and made an impact immediately.

I went to uni with a bunch of guys from Gippsland, they all went to Drouin High with him, he set himself to become an AFL footballer at a very young age so he is one of the few people who can say they actually lived out their childhood dream...

All the best Daisy, when on song, healthy, and in the black and white you were amazing. Ross Lyon declared him the best player in the comp in 2011, and he was IMO.

As an aside, this is a toast thread, if you can't chime in with something positive then don't post. Resist the temptation to be an arse.

Okay I'll wait until he's out of that :poo: jumper for good then I'll pass judgement

Will be forever remembered for this great sporting moment in time.

View attachment 727586
Yes and it was entirely deserved after what he did to Ball he has shown what an a-hole he has become at Carlton,I don,t think I want to congratulate him on what he became at Carlton just remember him for what he was at Collingwood.I think that was the match where Langdon in his 1st season as a 19 yr old gave him an absolute spray great stuff.

Last edited:
Apologies for the intrusion:

Daisy farewell speech to players for anyone interested.

It's mainly Carlton stuff but there is mention of the 2010 Premiership and a few other things.

People have short memories.

He'll no doubt be welcomed back to the club as a life member very soon.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

What a player he was at his peak. I think that injuries probably ruined him fairly young, but he was so damaging in 2011 in particular.

We can now welcome him back home!

I always wondered how I would feel about him once his career comes to an end.

He was probably the best player over both games in the 2010 grand final however never became the player he should have been and I feel he would have been better had he stayed with us.

He was an absolute favourite of mine and I genuinely hope he is happy with his career. It's a career marred by decisions that have puzzled me, but at the end of the day I'm sitting here writing this and he's a flagpie.

Last edited:
Premiership player and an absolute star. Finally we can stop laughing at his career choice and inexplicable loyalty to Malthouse.

Some recollections off the top of my head.

Was our best and most consistent finals midfielder in 2010 and 2011. While all his peers were having their ups and downs I don’t think he played a bad final.

Nearly kicked the goal of the year in about 2011 with and amazing snap from the boundary but the maggot boundary umpire called it out before it touched his boot.

Was the best player in the league in an amazing 6-8 week patch also from memory in 2011.

Welcome home Daisy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back