Dalight Saving Poll II The Purple Hordes Final Verdict

Remove this Banner Ad

My personal view is we should have Daylight Saving for a myriad of reasons. I love this state, it's a shame we have to be so backwards in some ways....

I want it, but unfortuately I don't think it will get through....

Didn't like it as a 21 year old concreter in 1975.
Didn't like it living in our first home with my soon to be missus in 1n 1984. We both found we went to bed later. Not a good thing when your a healthy 30 year. :cool:
Didn't like it 1994 with young kids at school.

Didn't like the latest 3 friggen ! years of it.

There is now doubt most people get less sleep during DLS. Less sleep means health issue. If it is bad for our overall health, it's bad.

We'll get some of the standard 'Yes' camp insults out of the way early eh?

* You have a backwards WA mentality being afraid of change and will just vote No even though deep inside you like it.
* You're worried about the curtains in your house fading (ho, ho..)
* You are a farmer and "wont someone please think of the cows?!'
* You reside more than 75kms away from the CBD and are an uneducated bogan that does not know what's good for you.

Any others?

How the hell do you get less sleep during DLS? I don't know how that works.

You guys should have it, its great here. I was in QLD for a week once when they didn't have it and it was terrible having summer nights of 30 that went dark at 7. Its also great for BBQ's.

Just ask yourself one question and answer honestly.
Do you go to bed later at some time during DLS. ?
It could be for any amount of reasons on any amount of days.
Most people are creatures of habit on workdays. No matter what the (clock) time is they go bed at an amount of time after the sun sets. This means generally people go to bed later. Result equals less sleep.
You know it's true.

Absolute yes from me, I lived in NSW for 15 years - We didn't have any issues with the cows waking up at the wrong time, the kids going to bed or the curtains fading.

At the end of the day you go to bed when you are tired... not necessarily when the sun goes down!

I'm for it. I grew up with it in Europe and think it's great. However, I'm not as passionate as some people in this state [either for or against] and if we don't have it, I'm sort of fine with it. It's not the end of the world. :)

Just ask yourself one question and answer honestly.
Do you go to bed later at some time during DLS. ?
It could be for any amount of reasons on any amount of days.
Most people are creatures of habit on workdays. No matter what the (clock) time is they go bed at an amount of time after the sun sets. This means generally people go to bed later. Result equals less sleep.
You know it's true.

When I was working in December/January, I would go to bed at 10:30 and wake up at 7 like normal. The Sun goes down by 8:30, not affecting anything that I do. I could still sleep at 10:30 unless it was frickin hot (and that has nothing to do with DLS)

The above tripe is just as bad as global warming alarmists. Total bollox.

Yes. It suits my lifestyle pretty well, which is what it's supposed to be about. You either benefit from it, or you don't. All the political nonsense - from both sides - that has been brought into the debate over the years gives me the shits.

I don't like the penis, therefore, I will vote yes.

It's better for my work, and makes it much more conducive for catching up with the dad and others on weekdays.

Nothing worse than getting home (for me) in the evening, when it's dark already. Depressing as. Bad enough at the moment when it's dark at 630.

Didn't like it as a 21 year old concreter in 1975.
Didn't like it living in our first home with my soon to be missus in 1n 1984. We both found we went to bed later. Not a good thing when your a healthy 30 year. :cool:
Didn't like it 1994 with young kids at school.

Didn't like the latest 3 friggen ! years of it.

There is now doubt most people get less sleep during DLS. Less sleep means health issue. If it is bad for our overall health, it's bad.

It was 1991/92 not 1994 the last time we had it but regardless your less sleep argument makes no sense. What about in winter when the sun sets earlier, do you go to bed earlier in winter? So regardless of DLS or not by your logic you get less sleep in summer anyway. I say we ban summer all together :eek:

I am all for it, I remember fondly the summer of 91/92 being able to go to the beach after school for a couple of hours and the summer two years ago actually being able to get home from work, and go for a run whilst it was still light. The only valid argument for or against is if you are active in the mornings or evenings, everything else is just excuses.

I voted last week here in London, although not compulsory for ex-pats to vote the guy at Australia House told me about 70 people had come into vote at that stage....woot democracy!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hell NO

we do not need it in WA why follow it when its not needed here.
In summer it doesnt get dark till after 8pm here normal time.
DST it doesnt get dark till after 9pm little kids shouldnt be out playing with parents at that hour they should be settling down ready to go to bed.

If they really care about having more sunlight for after work we need DS in winter as its dark just after 6pm giving people no time to do things after work while its still light.

Its mainly wanted by companies and politicians that always have to deal with eastern states.
No one says they have to work 9-5 if theey want they can work 8-4 during summer or since the eastern states are so important an have to follow everything they do why not start same time as they do so 7-3 inwinter an 6-2 in summer then they will have no probs trying to contact them during working hours.

heck since it being light till after 8pm isnt enough daylight for people to do things we need more daylight for after work.
why dont we really be forward thinking instead of just sheep following.
And change everything so we get more time after work.
From now on if your hours are 9-5 they will be changed to 7-3
School hours no longer 9-3 they will be 7-1 plenty of time for everyone to enjoy the daylight after work no more messing with clocks, having to adjust to getting up earlier an going to sleep later.

And plenty of daylight for all in both summer and winter

Sorry I don't understand. It's still dark for the same number of hours so assuming you can only sleep when it's dark wouldn't that mean that you're going to bed later but getting up later resulting in the same number of ours of sleep?

I don't care either way on daylight saving but if people can't afford curtains and can only sleep during darkness then daylight saving isn't their biggest issue. What do you think shift workers do?

My personal view is we should have Daylight Saving for a myriad of reasons. I love this state, it's a shame we have to be so backwards in some ways....

I'd love to know how many of the stooges who shop at IGA's on Sunday's and need to park 50 metres from the front door because the store's packed voted against longer shopping hours.

Its mainly wanted by companies and politicians that always have to deal with eastern states.

The general public could care less what the business sector wants. Nor should they. That's just one of the arguments brought in to give the 'Yes' campaign extra merit. Much like the 'No' campaign craps on about cows. DLS is a social policy NOT a business policy.

The outer-suburbs will vote yes, the inner-suburbs will be split, the country will vote no. One thing for certain, no matter who wins the loser will crack the 'sads' and we'll do it all again in 10 years.

No..No..No

Catching public tansport in the morning in th dark, catching public transport home at the hottest part of the day.

Working out when its still hot...

No No No

Daylight savings isn't going to suddenly make a state of overweight individual's healthy, I seriously doubt the one extra hour will motivate them.

Neglected children won't suddenly have their father back.

In my opinion we have enough sunlight and it's not like they are extending trading hours as well....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back