Teams Dallas Cowboys - America's Team

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Jason Hatcher unleashes on Tony Romo, Jason Garrett
Posted by Charean Williams on March 12, 2019, 10:20 PM EDT
gettyimages-457965152-e1552443596248.jpg

Getty Images
Former Cowboys defensive lineman Jason Hatcher called Tony Romo a bad leader and accused Jason Garrett of sabotaging Wade Phillips during a radio interview Tuesday.
Hatcher spent eight seasons with the Cowboys before finishing his career in Washington.
He never played with Dak Prescott but said the Cowboys current quarterback has better leadership skills than the quarterback he replaced. Prescott won the job when Romo was injured during the 2016 preseason, and Romo retired after that season.
“Romo didn’t have the it factor to make people around him better,” Hatcher said on 105.3 The Fan, via Clarence Hill of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. “I think when I was there he thought he was bigger than the team. It was like Romo and then the team. Like nobody in the locker room is really going to respect you like that. I really don’t respect him as a player based on what he did to the team where a lot of people didn’t see.
“He was a great player and got all the numbers and stuff, but I’ll take Dak over Romo any day because Dak has the ability to make people around him better. You’ll run through a wall for Dak but Romo, hell no.”
Romo holds most of the team’s passing records but went only 2-4 in the postseason. Hatcher blames Romo for not doing enough to lead his teammates.
“Romo was feeling like he was a Brett Favre and I’m like ‘dude, you ain’t do nothing. What have you done? You got your own space that you leave [and] don’t come in the locker room an interact with your teammates, but you call yourself a leader?’ Nah, partner. It don’t work like that,'” Hatcher said. “He’s got great numbers, but he’s had so many opportunities. Like if I was a G.M., Romo do not have the ability to make people around him want to play for him.”
Hatcher, though, was only getting started. He also blamed Garrett, the team’s offensive coordinator from 2007 to the middle of the 2010 season, for sabotaging Phillips.
Garrett replaced Phillips as head coach in the middle of the 2010 season after a 1-7 start. The Cowboys finished 5-3, and the Cowboys named Garrett the full-time head coach.
“Let me tell you something. I’m going to tell you the truth. I saw Jason Garrett sabotage this man,” Hatcher said. “We ran three plays, three freaking plays [with Phillips as head coach].
“. . .When you know the truth and what’s going on, you’re like ‘why the hell are we running three plays on offense?’ And then, to know the truth after Wade get fired, you open up the playbook and we start scoring points?”

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
God we are perpetually a deflating team to follow in free agency. Destination club but we never dine out on it.

Looks like Earl Thomas will be settling for the Ravens.

Sad to see Beasley go too. SMU kid. Should have been Dallas for life.

I'm on the fence with Cole, glad for him that he's going to get paid and will be at a team that probably appreciates his efforts more but also glad we didn't try and match the Bills on that offer.

God we are perpetually a deflating team to follow in free agency. Destination club but we never dine out on it.

And yet you're one of the winners simply by not being the Giants. You vs us for the East again this year you'd think.

oh_my_hat

Club Legend
Jun 28, 2000
one-out in the goal squar
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, Tottenham
Am I alone in not trusting Dak at all? The thought of him getting $30M a season is making me sick.
What are the alternatives? I might be in the minority but he has taken us to the playoffs in 2 of his first 3 seasons (with the help of a good O-line and Zeke) and can't do much more especially being thrown in at the deep end in his first season when Romo was forced out.

oh_my_hat

Club Legend
Jun 28, 2000
one-out in the goal squar
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, Tottenham

Looks like Earl Thomas will be settling for the Ravens.

Sad to see Beasley go too. SMU kid. Should have been Dallas for life.

Randell Cobb is an upgrade over Beasley and less of a hit on the Salary Cap, can play in the slot and outside (Beasley not so much) so Jerry has done ok there.

Am I alone in not trusting Dak at all? The thought of him getting $30M a season is making me sick.

Yep!

You seen the quality of a number of other starting QB's and the money they are getting?

Dak is a solid Tier 2 QB in the NFL. Last thing we want to do is turn into a Bills / Dolphins / Broncos / Cardinals / Giants and Jags etc with their history of QB management and paying blokes.

With Lawrence now signed, we have an elite pass rush combination with him and Quinn at left and right defensive edge. And with Smith, Lee and Vander Esch sitting behind them...I like where this is going :)

Sep 3, 2002
In a good place
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NBA Winning Machines/Dallas Cowboys
waiting for the schedule to come out as Im planning to get a match in this season. if anyone has any tips about good hotels or how to get to the stadium it will be greatly appreciated. anything else I Must see or do in dallas?

Hopefully it all lines up and i get in the Cowboys, spurs and some UFC and maybe even a Rams game on the way home

I don't know much about the guys we picked up. The blow by blow callers for the Boys certainly raised the Hill and McGovern selections before they happened.

We also picked a couple of others up after the draft.

Only thing about the draft that surprised me is that we didn't bother looking at the TE position at all when the depth there is pretty shithouse and we really don't have anybody that can hold a candle to Witten in being a reliable passing option, and the jury is out on whether Witten himself can still produce. Either we're long on Gathers and Jarwin or we're hoping that Witten can be good enough for another year and plan to draft a TE in 2020.

"ESPN's Chris Mortensen and Pro Football Talk's Charean Williams later reported that Prescott had not asked for $40 million, but the story had already gone through roughly eight internet cycles."

Jane Slater from the NFL was the one who reported the $40m a year thing. She's also the one who reported that she believed Elliott was going to rock up to training camp.

At any rate, it's really the guaranteed money that is most important.

Sep 3, 2002
In a good place
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NBA Winning Machines/Dallas Cowboys
i just think he has got bad advice Zeke,same as Melvin Gordon

still has 2 years left on his contract, HBs (as good as he is) are dime are dozen.

that and the new collective bargaining agreement coming up at the end of the year, you think will increase the cap even further....

just seems weird timing

i just think he has got bad advice Zeke,same as Melvin Gordon

still has 2 years left on his contract, HBs (as good as he is) are dime are dozen.

that and the new collective bargaining agreement coming up at the end of the year, you think will increase the cap even further....

just seems weird timing

Not really, they are all looking at Gurley and thinking imagine if he didn't get a new contract before the injury he sustained.

Don't blame them at all, they put their body at risk far more than WRs do. You could argue more than any other position given their size and what they are asked to do.

I reckon the talk about how rookie contracts for rbs shouldn't be so team friendly given how they are used and their shelf life compared to other position has some merit.

Back