Teams Dallas Cowboys - America's Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Yikes...rough draft overall I think, far cry from 2020. Got pipped at the post for the two CB’s in Rd 1 & Moehrig in Rd 2.

Wish they went Salter over Parsons, but looks like they were hell bent on investing heavily in the defence with the top 100 picks, which is fair enough after what we saw last season.

Some guys with definite characters concerns in Parsons, Joseph & Ball. Hopefully Parsons & Joseph is just a maturity thing, but Ball...yuck, don’t want him anywhere near the 53 man roster (or PS for that matter) with that DV rap sheet.

Favourite pick is Jabril Cox, outstanding value at 115. The writing is on the wall for LVE & Jaylon now, basically got their replacements ready to take over in 2022!

We are also very much in the action snapping up UDFAs and got a 6ft 6 TE and a few local WRs all who are huge and 6ft 4+.

Training camp to get on the final roster is going to be very competitive.

All in all I love this draft.

Yikes...rough draft overall I think, far cry from 2020. Got pipped at the post for the two CB’s in Rd 1 & Moehrig in Rd 2.

Wish they went Salter over Parsons, but looks like they were hell bent on investing heavily in the defence with the top 100 picks, which is fair enough after what we saw last season.

Some guys with definite characters concerns in Parsons, Joseph & Ball. Hopefully Parsons & Joseph is just a maturity thing, but Ball...yuck, don’t want him anywhere near the 53 man roster (or PS for that matter) with that DV rap sheet.

Favourite pick is Jabril Cox, outstanding value at 115. The writing is on the wall for LVE & Jaylon now, basically got their replacements ready to take over in 2022!

I'm not sure of the details re Parsons. He was named in a lawsuit but wasn't the defendant, in regards to hazing. Joseph got into altercations with different coaching staff so need more context there.

Ball though ... * that guy.

Jerry does seem to look for troubled sliders because success is more important than being ethical.

However ... the incidents with Ball happened between 2016-17. He was 18-19 at the time. He claims to have done a lot of growing as a person, and if you listen to his phone call audio, the guy was in tears. I think he knows he is lucky to be given a chance given his history, and I hope he does some good with his opportunity and turns himself into a role model.

Last edited:

I'm not sure of the details re Parsons. He was named in a lawsuit but wasn't the defendant, in regards to hazing. Joseph got into altercations with different coaching staff so need more context there.

Ball though ... fu** that guy.

Jerry does seem to look for troubled sliders because success is more important than being ethical.

However ... the incidents with Ball happened between 2016-17. He was 18-19 at the time. He claims to have done a lot of growing as a person, and if you listen to his phone call audio, the guy was in tears. I think he knows he is lucky to be given a chance given his history, and I hope he does some good with his opportunity and turns himself into a role model.

Ball was touted as a Rd2 pick without the Priors.

Everyone deserves a chance and like you said it was a few years ago and people do mature admitting mistakes.

You gotta trust the club but if someone was a sh*t bloke at 19 years old I’m pretty certain at 23 years old they’re more likely than not to be the same sh*t bloke.

I wasn't a bad person when I was young, but I know I'm a much better person now.

Cowboys declined LB Leighton Vander Esch's fifth-year option for the 2022 season.
The writing was on the wall the moment Dallas traded back for Penn State LB Micah Parsons in the first round of Thursday's draft. LVE's 13 absences the past two years obviously played a major factor in this decision, foregoing the $9.145 million he otherwise would have been owed in 2022. For what it's worth, Jaylon Smith remains under contract through the 2025 season.
SOURCE: Todd Archer on Twitter
May 3, 2021, 1:38 PM ET

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Randy Gregory felt he “got robbed of a year” by defensive staff’s favoritism of Aldon Smith

Posted by Charean Williams on July 18, 2021, 5:55 PM EDT

Randy Gregory has not played much since the Cowboys made him a second-round choice in 2015, missing 52 games while suspended. But the pass rusher should have played more than he did last season.
He saw action on only 271 defensive snaps in 10 games after returning from a fourth career suspension. Only twice in 2020 did Gregory play more than 40 defensive snaps with 44 a season high.

Defensive coordinator Mike Nolan, defensive line coach Jim Tomsula and pass rusher Aldon Smith are gone from the 2020 team, meaning Gregory will play more this season.

“I felt there was a little bit of favoritism going on, . . . refusing to let me outshine their favorite,” Gregory told Dan Pompei of TheAthletic.com. "They knew I could do it, so they did what they could to keep me at bay. I had my times when I was angry. I used to talk to [agent] Peter [Schaffer] about it, and the best thing I could do was just go out there on the field with the plays they give me and make those plays worth it. I did that, but I truly felt I got robbed of a year last year.”

Mike Fisher of SI.com has reported that owner Jerry Jones — who long has held Gregory in high regard — confronted head coach Mike McCarthy in a staff meeting last season about why Gregory wasn’t playing more. New defensive coordinator Dan Quinn wondered the same after joining the staff and watching film of last season.

“I was surprised he didn’t play more,” Quinn said. “I brought it up to Mike. He was at the top of the list for me as far as defining a role. His playing time is going to increase, for sure. I think he’s going to really take off.”

After allowing the most points in team history, the Cowboys fired Nolan and Tomsula. Smith left as a free agent for Seattle in April.

Gregory, who has openly talked about his social anxiety disorder, should get the best chance he has ever had to put his best foot forward this season.

Cowboys 'Hard Knocks' Begins Filming; Top 10 Concerns Revealed

The Top 10 Dallas Cowboys Storylines To Come on 'Hard Knocks'

MIKE FISHER
23 HOURS AGO

FRISCO - The Dallas Cowboys will be featured on HBO's "Hard Knocks," which is a terrible idea for a football team trying to win games. As former "Hard Knocks'' victim/Cowboys coach Dave Campo recently told me, "It's invasive ... "I think there is pressure on (head coach) Mike McCarthy right now. I don't think it's in his best interest. It's a distraction.''

There is no denying, though, that this franchise and this team in particular provides more storyline fodder than any club in the NFL, and maybe in all of sports. And as we roll into Oxnard today, the HBO cameras have already been rolling. Cameras all over The Star. Cameras all over Frisco. And now, cameras all over Oxnard, Ventura, LA ... everywhere, in search of storylines.

Some of those storylines can already be predicted, I think. To wit: "The Top 10 Storylines To Come on 'Hard Knocks":

1. Dak's Ankle. This will be a legit football story. But it will also be transformed into high drama. Close-ups of the ankle. Violin music. And, I guarantee, a moment when Prescott falls to the turf ... and a video editor milks the moment with a painfully long sequence of silence.

2. Jerry in Hollywood. This is usually TMZ's deal, and it happens every summer. But now TMZ will be elbowed out of the way by owner Jerry Jones' personal entourage of NFL Films staffers. And yes, it will be made to look like total coincidence when Jerry is at dinner and happens to bump into Denzel Washington or Rob Lowe or Kevin Costner.

3. "The Swipe.'' I am a Jaylon Smith guy. But if you think you're tired on Jaylon's televised act? Wait until the "Hard Knocks'' cameras and the charismatic linebacker find one another. They will be magnetized together. And it will exhaust you.

4. Zeke's abs. We've covered Ezekiel Elliott's offseason extensively - but get ready to have it all re-covered. That same close-up camera that is going to bring you "Dak's ankle'' will also focus on Zeke, proudly wearing his familiar half-shirt, showing off those abs.

5. Amari Cooper's timetable. We've been told that Cooper's ankle rehab is not a major concern, and that if he's not ready for Day 1 of camp, his participation will occur shortly thereafter. But that truth makes for boring TV. So I'll nominate Amari as the guy who gets "The Real Housewives of Dallas'' treatment: Lots of fake angst, but without the wine-glass-throwing antics.

6. The Party Bus. It'll be "Hard Knocks'' best shot at showing "how the other half lives.'' Unless ... Jerry's Yacht is available. This will be the Jones' first opportunity, I believe, to pull the boat into Southern California during training camp. Hey, if you got it, flaunt it. (Especially if certain members of the media are invited aboard.)

7. Dan Quinn, Mic'ed Up. Head coach Mike McCarthy is something less than colorful. Enter the new defensive coordinator, who is a combination of lovable and gruff and active and loud.

America is about to fall in love with Dan Quinn.

8. Jimmy and Company at The Hall of Fame. Yes, the Cowboys play the Pittsburgh Steelers in the Hall of Fame Game in Canton on Aug. 5. But that's not as camera-worthy as Drew Pearson, Cliff Harris and Jimmy Johnson going into the Hall.

Ah, the parties! Oh, the emotion! And yes, NFL Films will literally order Jerry and Jimmy to hang out together.

9. Homesickness. "Hard Knocks" will find a guy who can barely stand being away from his wife and his kids. ... and who won't be shy about showing that love for all to see. My nominee? Tank Lawrence would be down for this.

10. Micah and The Musician. This rookie class is overflowing with interesting personalities. I've already been told by an NFL source that "Hard Knocks'' finds first-round linebacker Micah Parsons to be a candidate for TV stardom due to his combination of glamor and grit.

But what NFL Films doesn't know yet? "Bossman Fat.''

"Hard Knocks" loves that obscure UDFA who can play the guitar; they latch onto him and make him a star, if only for a few weeks. And now here comes a kid in the form of Kelvin Joseph who isn't obscure (he's a second-round pick) and who actually does more musically than strum a guitar? He's actually got a rap career going?

Here's hoping that Kelvin Joseph is about to launch his 15-year NFL career. But first? His at-least 15 minutes of fame as an HBO character.

Jerry Jones: Jimmy Johnson was a great coach, I f–ked it up

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 21, 2021, 5:46 PM EDT

The Cowboys won two Super Bowls with Jimmy Johnson as their head coach before he and owner Jerry Jones had a bitter divorce. Today, Jones got emotional and seemed to blame himself for the split.

Asked about Johnson, Jones raved about the job he did in Dallas.

“He’s a great coach and I’m proud to have him as a friend, and proud to have the times that we — we just had a great experience,” Jones said.

Jones then appeared to be choking back tears as he said it was his own fault that things didn’t end better with Johnson.

“I’ve never been able to know why I f–ked it up.”

Jones indicated that one of the reasons he’s excited about the Cowboys playing in the Hall of Fame Game is so that he and Cowboys fans can be there when Johnson is enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame next month.

Why Dan Quinn is going to rule HBO’s “Hard Knocks”

The Cowboys defensive coordinator should be an entertaining personality.

By Dave Halprin
Jul 25, 2021

After years of watching HBO’s Hard Knocks, we know what they like. One thing they most definitely like is entertaining, engaging coaches. They also like a dramatic storyline. Those two elements are about to meet as Dan Quinn seems to be the coach they want, and the Dallas defense is a storyline they need. As such, we should be getting plenty of Quinn when the show debuts.

We’ve already spent plenty of time talking about Quinn the coach. There have been his one-on-one sessions with certain players on defense, there has been his willingness to get into to the drills personally, and we’re also learning that he is a pretty unique guy in the meeting room.

The other day we heard Mike McCarthy say that Quinn spent ten minutes teaching players how to take notes. That seemed unusual enough in its own right, but the method he used is sure to catch HOB’s camera eyes.

The Cowboys’ new coordinator offered a challenge during a meeting. To quote a certain hip hop group, it was “tricky — tricky, tricky, tricky, tricky.” The fast-talking coach from New Jersey used a Run DMC song to encourage his defense to keep pace whenever Quinn is installing defensive concepts.
“It’s Tricky” wasn’t the Run DMC song that Quinn chose.
Instead, in a hotel ballroom, he played Sucker MC’s. The 1983-released track begins: “Two years ago, a friend of mine, asked me to say some M.C. rhymes. So I said this rhyme, I’m about to say. The rhyme was Def; a-then it went this way.”
Quinn instructed players to take handwritten notes during the song but not of every lyric.
That would be impractical.
Instead, critically listen to the song as it went. Search for the most relevant message. Jot that down.

Points to the coach for thinking outside of the box. This isn’t something that Quinn has done before, at least recently, as Keanu Neal relayed that in his five years with Quinn he had never done this. The players came away with a mixed-bag of success. Neal said he got maybe two words, Damontae Kazee said he got 10. Micah Parsons commented:

“All I got was, shoot, I don’t even remember,” said linebacker Micah Parsons, a rookie first-round pick. “I had one sentence. It just went way too fast for me. …He was like, ‘Everything I say, you’re not going to [write] it down. But you’ve got to take in the key message of what I’m trying to say. Take in what you understand, not everything I say, so that way it translates to you.’”

Transforming the Cowboys defense is Quinn’s number one job, and it looks like he will use everything at his disposal to get there. If he manages to bring the defense into decent territory, then the Cowboys are legitimate contenders.

One things for sure, we’re going to see plenty of that attempt at transformation on Hard Knocks. They won’t be able to resist Quinn.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back