Dallas Mavericks thread: Extend our Wood

No chance the way you're playing of late. Won 8/11, just knocked Spurs, Cavs off in a b2b! Daylight ahead of any of the aforementioned

Stupid to be winning these games, keep hanging around the middle of the conference for the next 10 years Mavs.

Nerlens! Nice trade Mavs.

Slowly building a pretty nice young core.

Happiest I have been in a while when it comes to the Mavs trading, seriously good pick up and didn't cost much, like you said slowly building.

Need a top 8 pick now and land a star.

Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS
Noel- Dirk- Mejri
Dirk-Barnes
Barnes- Finney Smith
Matthews- Curry- Harris/Barea
Smith - Ferrell

All of a sudden, we have a roster. We haven't the type of guard Smith is in...forever? Nash, Terry, Kidd, Stackhouse, Harris, Barea didn't have what this bloke does. Dirk will create lanes for him on pick and pop.

Noel has a lot more skill than I realised when he played for the 76s. He can pass and dribble, and flashes a J. Keep. Him. Healthy.

Barnes was an elite iso scorer last year, he needs to make the next step to creating out of pick and roll, finding open teammates and getting to the FT line. And him and DFS can play 3/4 when we go small.

Matthews' efficiency will go up because he won't have to create as much off the dribble.

Curry is a legitimately good combo guard.

Im guessing one or both of Harris/Barea won't be back

Dwight Powell does not belong in the NBA. He can't shoot when playing the 4, and can't defend the rim when playing 5. Must be traded.

Otherwise, things are looking up for the 1st time since 2011.

Noel- Dirk- Mejri
Dirk-Barnes
Barnes- Finney Smith
Matthews- Curry- Harris/Barea
Smith - Ferrell

All of a sudden, we have a roster. We haven't the type of guard Smith is in...forever? Nash, Terry, Kidd, Stackhouse, Harris, Barea didn't have what this bloke does. Dirk will create lanes for him on pick and pop.

Noel has a lot more skill than I realised when he played for the 76s. He can pass and dribble, and flashes a J. Keep. Him. Healthy.

Barnes was an elite iso scorer last year, he needs to make the next step to creating out of pick and roll, finding open teammates and getting to the FT line. And him and DFS can play 3/4 when we go small.

Matthews' efficiency will go up because he won't have to create as much off the dribble.

Curry is a legitimately good combo guard.

Im guessing one or both of Harris/Barea won't be back

Dwight Powell does not belong in the NBA. He can't shoot when playing the 4, and can't defend the rim when playing 5. Must be traded.

Otherwise, things are looking up for the 1st time since 2011.

Very positive, I can't see it, really don't want to be the middle of the park type team we have been since 2012, West being so stacked we might not even need to tank.

Barnes, Noel and Smith have me very excited for the future still need to land another low pick and potential 26/27 year old free agent

I would have traded Matthews has a decent contract and could be appealing on a contender.

I agree with Powell putrid, I hope we keep JJ, happy to lose Harris.

My early opinion is we will be a lottery team again, I'm ok with this, need to get some low picks into the squad.

Barnes isn't delivering, not worth the money right now.

Noel I am worried about, I just don't think he will be anymore then an average C off the bench, I hope I'm wrong, the game is played now with Cs having to score from multiple spots on the court, he just doesn't do it.

Dirk still going strong, hope he plays 1 more year.

Dennis Smith Jr will be a star, will be some great PGs that come from this draft.

Matthews time to try and trade him, he has a pretty good contract, very handy on a contender like Houston, Spurs etc

Yogi/JJ both bring great hussle of the bench love watching them play.

Can't see us finishing out of the bottom 5

Dundalis

Club Legend
Sep 16, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
The tank is on. I'm a little bit worried about DSJ, not from a talent standpoint, but because he has a playstyle that is conducive to injury, Baron Davis style. This teams really needs a young franchise big to go with DSJ for the future. One of Porter or Ayton would be perfect from the 2018 draft. If Porter ends up as good as advertised him and DSJ could be another Westbrook/Durant type combo.

I feel like the team is better than the record so far but maybe I'm living in lala land.

I thought we'd be a 9-12 team but we're probably a lot worse than I thought. MIght be a very long season.

Will be a really long season.

Barnes has gone backwards which hurts, he was the player we were going to build around.

Dundalis

Club Legend
Sep 16, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
I'm fine with it. Having supported the Mavs since the Dirk/Nash/Finley days, this team has never valued draft picks under Cuban. Still ruing the fact Cuban overuled Nelson who wanted Giannis at pick 13 back in the 2013 draft. They got lucky getting a talent like DSJ at 9 in a strong draft, they need to tank again and give themselves a shot at another franchise talent. They will never challenge always being a mid pack team, the Mavs just aren't a strong enough destination for the best free agents.

As for Barnes, that was a clear overpay from the start. He never was and never will be a number 1 scoring option. You want him number 3 at best.

Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS
This is bad.

Noel is in the doghouse. The situation is irredeemable.

Barnes is not a franchise player, but is a good scorer.

Matthews will never get back. He busts his arse though.

Barea is shooting too much, but we have nobody else.

Dirk looks old. He can't post up anymore and is a sieve.

Smith is the only shing light. We need one of those bigs in the top 3. No point in busting to get to 35 wins.

Back