Dalrymple leaves the Kennel

Remove this Banner Ad

Did i read that Dal didnt want to take Naughton at pick 9?
I mentioned early in the thread that Dal did but the Beveridge camp didn’t. Not that they didn’t rate him, more that they didn’t understand taking another tall.

Got to say, was pretty impressed by the kid yesterday. Our backline is looking very strong in the future providing Adams stays long term

I mentioned early in the thread that Dal did but the Beveridge camp didn’t. Not that they didn’t rate him, more that they didn’t understand taking another tall.

Got to say, was pretty impressed by the kid yesterday. Our backline is looking very strong in the future providing Adams stays long term
He looked good forward in aflx one on one ;)

Phew, Clayton joins Eagles.

Was it Clayton that recruited or was in charge of recruiting at the Dogs when Sam Power was picked at number 10 I think.

Wonder what Sam thinks of Clayton recruiting ability?

Was it Clayton that recruited or was in charge of recruiting at the Dogs when Sam Power was picked at number 10 I think.

Wonder what Sam thinks of Clayton recruiting ability?

Cheap shot. Ring / email him and ask him ? Perhaps ask for an appointment and ask him to his face ?

On the KPP debate

I'd say these teams are the best at drafting and retaining KPP types at the moment

Richmond their premiership CHF and CHB arguably the best in their respective positions in the comp
Essendon, Hurley and Daniher are up there, with Hooker not bad also

West Coast and North next in line, alot of decent B grade types at both clubs, with some players having career years, like Goldstein and Brown, although Brown could be classed as elite if he does it again this year or next. McGovern is absolutely quality too. One thing is constant though with both clubs able to identify taller talent better than most imo.

Melbourne, losing Frawley hurts, but Gawn, McDonald and Hogan make up for it, haven't lost the magnitude of talls Adelaide and Carlton have for example though which keeps them ahead of them two.

Adelaide are excellent judges of KPP talent but fail in the retention side of things Bock, Gunston, Tippett, Davis and Lever the ones who hurt, a case could be made for Carlton too in the likes of Kennedy, Waite and Jacobs

GWS were allowed to throw as many darts on the board as possible, so I feel they're irrelevant in this discussion, GC to an extent too.

For mine I'm kind of with MD on Dals abilities to identify KPPs through the draft, with 2012 and 2013 easily his worst years at identifying talls or the lack of not bothering with it after the first round (Fuller over Brown an example here, Hrovat over a shitload who were available on the board at the time), however a case could be made that the directive given to him was get best available.

it was a frustrating trend we didn't look to rectify until after McCartney left was the talls, why did we go through a whole rebuild and not pump game time into KPPs who would've been required long-term players? Can only say Roughead benefited from this and that's all. We are playing catch up on this front now with the expectations on the likes of Boyd, Cordy, Adams fairly high now.

Anyways, I'd rather have who we have now than not have them and rely on an army of 6"2 6"3 guys to win us finals, like what Eade did and failed come prelim day. That structure of 2 talls plus Morris and Wood down back and Roughy/Boyd combo with Cordy playing his team oriented role up forward won us a prelim and a flag. A taller structure imo is better than a smaller one.

Phew, Clayton joins Eagles.

3-adegan-film-paling-terkenal.jpg

On the KPP debate

I'd say these teams are the best at drafting and retaining KPP types at the moment

Richmond their premiership CHF and CHB arguably the best in their respective positions in the comp
Essendon, Hurley and Daniher are up there, with Hooker not bad also

West Coast and North next in line, alot of decent B grade types at both clubs, with some players having career years, like Goldstein and Brown, although Brown could be classed as elite if he does it again this year or next. McGovern is absolutely quality too. One thing is constant though with both clubs able to identify taller talent better than most imo.

Melbourne, losing Frawley hurts, but Gawn, McDonald and Hogan make up for it, haven't lost the magnitude of talls Adelaide and Carlton have for example though which keeps them ahead of them two.

Adelaide are excellent judges of KPP talent but fail in the retention side of things Bock, Gunston, Tippett, Davis and Lever the ones who hurt, a case could be made for Carlton too in the likes of Kennedy, Waite and Jacobs

GWS were allowed to throw as many darts on the board as possible, so I feel they're irrelevant in this discussion, GC to an extent too.

For mine I'm kind of with MD on Dals abilities to identify KPPs through the draft, with 2012 and 2013 easily his worst years at identifying talls or the lack of not bothering with it after the first round (Fuller over Brown an example here, Hrovat over a shitload who were available on the board at the time), however a case could be made that the directive given to him was get best available.

it was a frustrating trend we didn't look to rectify until after McCartney left was the talls, why did we go through a whole rebuild and not pump game time into KPPs who would've been required long-term players? Can only say Roughead benefited from this and that's all. We are playing catch up on this front now with the expectations on the likes of Boyd, Cordy, Adams fairly high now.

Anyways, I'd rather have who we have now than not have them and rely on an army of 6"2 6"3 guys to win us finals, like what Eade did and failed come prelim day. That structure of 2 talls plus Morris and Wood down back and Roughy/Boyd combo with Cordy playing his team oriented role up forward won us a prelim and a flag. A taller structure imo is better than a smaller one.
Who is Richmond's CHF?

Just an update for those who want to know. I’ve actively not been here lately, but the main reason Dally resigned was because he wasn’t considered for the top job, a job he aspires to do. He will work from the Lake Oval 3 days a week, isn’t a fan of the Power appointment as it was a soft appointment by the powers and P Gordon is the only one abrasive enough to challenge everyone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just an update for those who want to know. I’ve actively not been here lately, but the main reason Dally resigned was because he wasn’t considered for the top job, a job he aspires to do. He will work from the Lake Oval 3 days a week, isn’t a fan of the Power appointment as it was a soft appointment by the powers and P Gordon is the only one abrasive enough to challenge everyone.
Very interesting, thanks. Which obviously begs the question - why wasn't he considered for the role? Perhaps good at what he was doing but not seen as strong in other areas outside of his current role such as list/contract management?

Thanks Pann - pretty disappointing, still trying to understand how S Power gets that job in any merit based selection process. Its almost like being a s**t player but a high draft pick...

Sorry, I might be a bit slow but when you say "challenge everyone" as in everyone being plural is that what you mean or is it one person in particular? Initials LB?

Finally someone has pulled back the iron curtain of secrecy
and revealed the game of thrones like reality that is the
Western Bulldogs. (Complete with Arnold voice over)

I'll be back.

As we all thought, we have ****ed this up massively

That's only based on the assumption that he was the best/right man for the job that Power took.

Understand and agree with your principle, but the overall outcome is terrible and reflects extremely poorly on those involved.

I think you can quite clearly make a case that giving him the opportunity, training and support needed to grow into the TOP job would have been a much better overall outcome for the club.

As we all thought, we have ****** this up massively

Did we though?

None of the above comes as a real revelation. Dalrymple wouldn't be the first person to question the qualifications or the method of appointment of the person that he was looked over for as he quite clearly was in this case. To insinuate that Powers appointment is a 'soft' one that only came about because of his ties to the powers that be inside the club is possibly the easiest and lamest accusation to make when the field of candidates is as small as it will inevitably be in the AFL world. Should it be true, it smacks of sour grapes to me. He was an important cog in the machine of our recent success but by no means was he sole cause of it as some here would posit.

Did we though?

None of the above comes as a real revelation. Dalrymple wouldn't be the first person to question the qualifications or the method of appointment of the person that he was looked over for as he quite clearly was in this case. To insinuate that Powers appointment is a 'soft' one that only came about because of his ties to the powers that be inside the club is possibly the easiest and lamest accusation to make when the field of candidates is as small as it will inevitably be in the AFL world. Should it be true, it smacks of sour grapes to me. He was an important cog in the machine of our recent success but by no means was he sole cause of it as some here would posit.

Fair comments, I have expanded slightly on another post above, but yes we have ****ed up. While I don't believe he was the sole reason for our recent success, he was someone performing well above average in a poorly resourced club. He was also clearly looking for a more senior role.

The clever thing to do would be to either give him the role, explain the areas of concern that we have and provide support to see how he goes. Make part of his role the recruitment, training, mentorship and development of his successor - so that his knowledge doesn't immediately * off elsewhere. If he doesn't work out, then at least you have been supportive of his career needs and have a succession plan in place. Sometimes both parties recognise someone isn't cut out after a short while and stepping back is acceptable.

Alternatively, you have him act in the role and have a lengthy recruitment process and do similar things to the above - so that there isn't an immediate vacuum at the club.

What we have done is lose the two key people (regardless of your view on their performance) in our recruitment/retention and player identification roles - with a largely untried rookie coming into replace. If you take the argument that JMac and Dal butted heads - we were going to lose one - but to lose two, is not only careless but easily avoided.

Poor management of this issue, as I have said from the beginning.

Fair comments, I have expanded slightly on another post above, but yes we have ****** up. While I don't believe he was the sole reason for our recent success, he was someone performing well above average in a poorly resourced club.

Interestingly we had one of the higher football department spends last year. Albeit there's not much of a difference between clubs.

Football Department spending
  • Collingwood ($28,366,146) - includes AFLW, VFL.
  • Geelong - ($25,981,512)
  • West Coast - ($25,669,094)
  • Western Bulldogs ($25,489,964)
  • Fremantle - $25,476,311
  • Melbourne - ($24,223,494)
  • Brisbane - ($24,712,245)
  • Carlton - ($23,841,372)
  • St Kilda - ($23,715,001)
  • Essendon - ($23,687,766)
  • Hawthorn - Not Available
  • Richmond - Not Available

Last time I felt like the club was being poorly managed was at the end of 2015. Hopefully what's happening behind the scenes is far more carefully planned and under control than it looks from the outside.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back