Damian Barrett: Clubs will refuse to trade with Hawthorn because of aggressivness and arrogance ....

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Damian Barrett: Clubs will refuse to trade with Hawthorn because of aggressivness and arrogance

Well we will see how it all pans out won't we in trade week. Craig Hutchison also said that your mob have offered him $350000 a year for 3 years. he is currently on $220000 a year. You can hardly blame him having a look at that.

Thank goodness they didn't target Scotty Thompson who is developing into an absolute gun fullback.

If we do some rough numbers, say 40 players by $350000 per annum = $14m. Now I am not sure what the salary cap is nowadays, but I am pretty sure it is less that $14m. Your elite players such as Mitchell, Hodge, Sewell, Rioli, Bateman, Franklin, Roughead will surely demand much more than this, which means that there are going to be a few boys down there earning a fair bit less than Gibbo.

Let's hope they don't start to get restless and look to maximise their chances elsewhere. :)
So, you believe what Hutchison says? And just how would he know the truth? I am damn sure the player manager, nor the player, nor Hawthorn would come out and tell a journalist ANYTHING!!
They are just making up figures, to suit their ego!..Get a life you guys, the journalists know nothing!! They are just guessing. IF they did know, why wouldn't they print the offer in the paper. That's the only way I would believe anything they had to say!
They are all a pack of w***ers anyway. How else can they sell themselves, and it's fools like you that believe him..Unbelievable!!!
Golly gosh, I heard they offered him $2 million a year. Do you believe that?? Let's spread that figure around,ok?That's exactly what I told you, the figures are a figment of the journalists imagination!! They have ABSOLUTELY no idea!

Re: Damian Barrett: Clubs will refuse to trade with Hawthorn because of aggressivness and arrogance

Well we will see how it all pans out won't we in trade week. Craig Hutchison also said that your mob have offered him $350000 a year for 3 years. he is currently on $220000 a year. You can hardly blame him having a look at that.

If Craig Hutchison says it, it MUST be true :rolleyes:

So, you believe what Hutchison says? And just how would he know the truth? I am damn sure the player manager, nor the player, nor Hawthorn would come out and tell a journalist ANYTHING!!
They are just making up figures, to suit their ego!..Get a life you guys, the journalists know nothing!! They are just guessing. IF they did know, why wouldn't they print the offer in the paper. That's the only way I would believe anything they had to say!
They are all a pack of w***ers anyway. How else can they sell themselves, and it's fools like you that believe him..Unbelievable!!!
Golly gosh, I heard they offered him $2 million a year. Do you believe that?? Let's spread that figure around,ok?That's exactly what I told you, the figures are a figment of the journalists imagination!! They have ABSOLUTELY no idea!
Settle down sunshine, you will have a coronary arrest. :eek:

Must have touched a raw nerve there.

I am only telling you what Hutchison said. If he chooses to tell lies on the radio, then that is his problem. You would wonder why he would do that though wouldn't you.

Anyhow I wouldn't have a clue what your people have offered him; however....... quite often where there is smoke there is fire. :)

One thing is for sure, he wouldn't be wanting to leave if the offer wasn't substantially more that his current $220000 a year. Even if it is the $266000 a year as some are suggesting it is pretty big money for a player who will turn 26 in March next year and has only played 67 games of AFL football.

Settle down sunshine, you will have a coronary arrest. :eek:

Must have touched a raw nerve there.

I am only telling you what Hutchison said. If he chooses to tell lies on the radio, then that is his problem. You would wonder why he would do that though wouldn't you.

Anyhow I wouldn't have a clue what your people have offered him; however....... quite often where there is smoke there is fire. :)

One thing is for sure, he wouldn't be wanting to leave if the offer wasn't substantially more that his current $220000 a year. Even if it is the $266000 a year as some are suggesting it is pretty big money for a player who will turn 26 in March next year and has only played 67 games of AFL football.

And yet the Herald Sun suggests you are only paying him $160,000 per year.

100k would keep me in bananas for more than a week.

And yet the Herald Sun suggests you are only paying him $160,000 per year.

100k would keep me in bananas for more than a week.
Well there you go, as LuvMyHawks pointed out in his coronary inducing post, you just can't trust journalists can you.

Doesn't alter the fact that even if it is the $266000 a year as some are suggesting your mob are offering, it is pretty big money for a player who will turn 26 in March next year and has only played 67 games of AFL football. :)

Well there you go, as LuvMyHawks pointed out in his coronary inducing post, you just can't trust journalists can you.

Doesn't alter the fact that even if it is the $266000 a year as some are suggesting your mob are offering, it is pretty big money for a player who will turn 26 in March next year and has only played 67 games of AFL football. :)

Please don't act as if your club wouldn't be offering somewhere near the same coin if he decided to re- sign, he'd be on somewhere around 230k to 260k a year. You're trying too hard and been clutching at straws for the entirety of this thread

Thank goodness they didn't target Scotty Thompson who is developing into an absolute gun fullback.

If we do some rough numbers, say 40 players by $350000 per annum = $14m. Now I am not sure what the salary cap is nowadays, but I am pretty sure it is less that $14m. Your elite players such as Mitchell, Hodge, Sewell, Rioli, Bateman, Franklin, Roughead will surely demand much more than this, which means that there are going to be a few boys down there earning a fair bit less than Gibbo.

Let's hope they don't start to get restless and look to maximise their chances elsewhere. :)
Jason Dunstall was asked on MMM Friday nite if offering players from other clubs money would upset current Hawks, fair question. His response was that all offers put to outside players, while not exact figures discussed, were put to Hawks leadership group, discussed by all players, then reported back to officials before a decision was reached to offer said player a chance to come to Hawks. He also said [getting a bit pi$$ed with Damien "kangas' Barrett] that he would of thought that was "common sense". So funny to hear the silence from Barrett after that!

i would put the agressiveness on the opponents not willing to trade. Carlton not wanting anything but pick 6 and Sydney wanting nothing but pick 16.

now, thats agressive on their behalf because they are not willing to listen to any other offer but what they want.

Please don't act as if your club wouldn't be offering somewhere near the same coin if he decided to re- sign, he'd be on somewhere around 230k to 260k a year. You're trying too hard and been clutching at straws for the entirety of this thread
Where did I say what we would be offering?

For mine, if he is on $220000, then that's about what he is worth, maybe a little more. I think the age 26 in March next year and only played 67 games are key aspects in this whole saga.

However if Hawthorn is offering him $266000 a year then he is worth more than Pick 25, though also not worth Pick 9. If on the other hand Hawthorn is offering $350000, then Pick 9 becomes much more equivalent on that price tag.

There is no way that I would be offering him $350000. It is way over the mark.

Me clutching at straws? Hardly. Just having an enjoyable time debating things with all of you. :D

My view on the way this has probably happened, is that Pelchen or one of the other club employees was probably discussing a players contract. It gets mentioned that we (hawthorn) are looking for an experienced defender. Gibson's name gets mentioned as being out of contract, the Hawks mentioned they would offer upwards of $1mil over 3 years, this gets back to Gibson, he likes the sound of it, all of a sudden it's hawthorn's fault that Gibson walks out.

Any chance this may have occurred??

Love the hypocrisy of Brayshaw etc, how the hawks are poor for approaching players when they've done it themsleves. Gotta love trade week

Damian Barrett is a twit. If he thinks the hawks are the only club being agressive or arrogant he has NFI. Because we went public about our intentions according to him we are the only club going down this path. Damian please stop embarressing yourself by making stupid biased comments. Footy is a business and in order to win flags you have to be aggressive to try and get what you need, who gives a toss if you tread on people's toes christ we are all adults. A big box of kleenex needs to be distributed to Arden St in the coming days. If anything they are going to end up looking very ordinary if they keep this nonsense up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: Damian Barrett f#$@wit extraordinaire

Its not about Pelchan burning the club - its the reputation that he has built over the last few seasons thats concerning.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24472573-2722,00.html

From day 1 of trade period, swans were clear about first pick+player for ROK or a player swap. You came up with the highest possible offer, atleast verbally, so swans continued squatting around you without talking to other clubs.
If Pelchen was not even remotely interested in trading the first pick, he could have made it clear on day 1. Posturing all the way till day 5, and then taking the pick off the table just means no other club could negotiate with swans regarding O'Keefe. According to that article, Hawks didn't bother even offering the player list whom they are prepared to swap for ROK, which is surprising as they were talking about it for the previous 4 days.

from the same article,
"We recognise that Ryan is worth pick 16, but we've made a philosophical decision as a football club that we don't want our first selection in the draft to be pick 34," Hawthorn list and recruitment manager Chris Pelchen said

this was on day 4 of the trade. Why even bother then?? Its not like he suddenly woke up to the fact that trading pick 16 will leave you with pick 34 as your first pick.

I will be surprised if clubs get into this slugfest with Hawks/Pelchen during this trade time. If they did, they have only themselves to blame as there is history on how hawks deal.

There is nothing wrong in it either, every club tries to look after themselves and I will be glad to have a Chris Pelchen on our team table too.

I appreciate the effort you've gone to make a point, but the pertinent fact in the O'Keefe trade was that no other clubs were banned from making offers to the Swans. Carlton had a crack, and I think had a better pick than us (perhaps, not sure, as they were doing the Warnock thing as well?).

You may say Hawthorn wastes peoples time, but the trade week is about posturing, and seeing what is vital to a deal, and what is just noise. For what its worth, O'Keefe seemed to be expecting big $$$, but Hawthorn is paying our list less to keep them all together. Carlton from memory was happy to open the bank vault for him. We'd just won the premiership, so we didn't have to succumb to Sydney's wishes. We stated what we'd offer, then on day 4, we said no deal. That's life. All the other clubs still had the opportunity to throw everything at him...as they did whilst we were on the bargaining table.

Its not like a game of chess where Hawthorn has the clock until we pass onto our opponent.

No one will refuse to trade with Hawthorn. But they might be wary. All players who are suggested for trade, it'd be assumed there's something we don't know about the situation. It's not about avoiding Pelchen, it is, and has always been, about due diligence, and fulfilling needs.

I just came across this thread via a Google search. Pretty hilarious remarks to look back on given the Hawks' reputation for trading now

I think we log this one as "yet another flog article by the flog Damien 'Floggo' Barrett".

You do have to wonder just what sordid photos he has of senior media people such that he is able to keep his job(s).

I think we log this one as "yet another flog article by the flog Damien 'Floggo' Barrett".

You do have to wonder just what sordid photos he has of senior media people such that he is able to keep his job(s).

Will be interesting tos ee how Cochrane and co manage the Ablett situation after taking a pretty strong stance over JOM...

I just came across this thread via a Google search. Pretty hilarious remarks to look back on given the Hawks' reputation for trading now
What the hell did you google search?

Where did I say what we would be offering?

For mine, if he is on $220000, then that's about what he is worth, maybe a little more. I think the age 26 in March next year and only played 67 games are key aspects in this whole saga.

However if Hawthorn is offering him $266000 a year then he is worth more than Pick 25, though also not worth Pick 9. If on the other hand Hawthorn is offering $350000, then Pick 9 becomes much more equivalent on that price tag.

There is no way that I would be offering him $350000. It is way over the mark.

Me clutching at straws? Hardly. Just having an enjoyable time debating things with all of you. :D

So Josh Gibson's useless as he's retired now.

We lost BIG on that trade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back