Damian Barrett

Remove this Banner Ad

When doing their job properly, breaking stories and presenting facts to the public
Unfortunately this is somewhat of a rare occurrence
It is one of the things that bugs me about current AFL journo's, they seem to think that their opinion is more valid than ours just because they are more likely to be recognized in the street.

When you really think about it, what purpose does a journalist serve anyway?

I don't think that you have really thought about it.
Without the media (the bridge between the powers that be and the public) everybody would be kept in the dark.
For instance, would you believe everything the government told you without analysis by a good journalist?
The purpose of journalists is to inquire, to educate and entertain.
Some do it badly and some do it well, just as in any other, craft, trade or profession.
Just because Barrett is crap doesn't mean all are crap.

When doing their job properly, breaking stories and presenting facts to the public
Unfortunately this is somewhat of a rare occurrence

Agreed. If they did their job that way, I'd say they were worthwhile, but most of them spend their time writing opinion pieces that are full of crap, making them no more effective than a glorified Big Footy poster.

I don't think that you have really thought about it.
Without the media (the bridge between the powers that be and the public) everybody would be kept in the dark.
For instance, would you believe everything the government told you without analysis by a good journalist?
The purpose of journalists is to inquire, to educate and entertain.
Some do it badly and some do it well, just as in any other, craft, trade or profession.
Just because Barrett is crap doesn't mean all are crap.

Oh, I've thought about it. I watched football in the 60s and 70s where journalists actually wrote about the game. That means they needed some knowledge of the game. Since "opinion pieces" became the rage, they haven't been worth a pinch of crap.

Oh, I've thought about it. I watched football in the 60s and 70s where journalists actually wrote about the game. That means they needed some knowledge of the game. Since "opinion pieces" became the rage, they haven't been worth a pinch of crap.
Well played, sir. Carry on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Barrett last night said that because the Collingwood players took drugs in the off-season it didn't matter, but then said they needed to do better as they are role models.....he's too stupid for his own good.

Did he maybe mean it didn't matter from the perspective that they broke no actual rules but morally they should be held to a higher standard?

Just to prove this clown has no idea and his attacks are personal he said Riewoldts game v the WB was no good. 22 disposals 14 marks 2 goals. Now excuse me but Barret you are a flog.

Just to prove this clown has no idea and his attacks are personal he said Riewoldts game v the WB was no good. 22 disposals 14 marks 2 goals. Now excuse me but Barret you are a flog.

He has an odd vendetta against St.Kilda. No issues of him being harsh on the performance Saturday night but Riewoldt is the last player to criticise as you've pointed out.

He has an odd vendetta against St.Kilda. No issues of him being harsh on the performance Saturday night but Riewoldt is the last player to criticise as you've pointed out.

Yeah he pots us at every occasion. Same old thing gave up Parish for Carlisle McEvoy for Savage the usual lies.

When you really think about it, what purpose does a journalist serve anyway?

Possibly to be the voice of the faceless men who manipulate the game to serve their own purpose it would seem.
This week saw a great example of how this is done. The scrub the Grand Final Replay campaign.
Using all of his now considerable outlets, pushed this issue using the most feeble arguments I`ve ever come across.
Having three different "time zones"
The players don't like it
If Freo and West Coast have to do it, it will cost as much as the $9-15 million the AFL makes in profit to get them all back over here.

It seems that the only ones who have a problem with a GF replay are the ones who have to change their holiday plans if one pops up.

Tradition is often used in this game to sell us something or steer us to a different mindset and is always the first thing to be cast aside
for what generally are selfish, short term thinking reasons. Good Friday and a night Grand Final and an Interstate held Grand Final next?

Last edited:
If we're going to make one crazy call for this round of footy .......

... it is that Stringer will kick 12.

:drunk:

Dudes got a chip on his shoulder r.e St Kilda.

Didn't know where to post this but what is it with Barrett and the Saints? I know he's a negative reporter, but gee he loves to dish it to the saints every chance he gets.

On the footy show this morning when discussing the 2 costly 15m kicks. Barrett said it wasn't 15m and that Savage should been called holding the ball anyway..
Then when they were all talking about McCartin's Big Mark and missed goal, everyone was giving him praise about the mark and being unlucky not to kick the goal considering he allowed for the breeze. But You can hear Barrett in the background say twice "but he missed it.. But he missed it Bill."
Did not say anything positive about McCartin at all.

Seriously where does this flog get off? ****** of the highest order

From the Saints board and it's bang on. Deadset flog.

What's wrong with what he said? Barrett was right.

Only a Hawks fan would claim it was less than 15m with all the rub of the green your lot get.

As for Paddy's mark we all know he missed but the mark itself was immense. Of course Barrett would look at the negative because he doesn't like St Kilda and never has.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back