Damian Barrett

Remove this Banner Ad

FMD, Barrett has gone the whole smorgasbord of his shitty writing tics this week.

If ...
we've been a massive fan of Hipwood from the moment we first saw him in 2016 ...

then ...
nothing has changed. Would just love for last week's performance to become the norm, or at least something like the norm. He's certainly capable of that.

What the hell is this? The hypothetical premise is once again not even a hypothetical. That's standard by now. But the upshot isn't even an upshot - he simply says "nothing has changed". So this is basically a stupid, convoluted way of saying "I've rated Hipwood since 2016". But of course he also has to refer to himself as "we" for some neurotic reason. Does he think it sounds more thinky, like he's a one-man consensus and that makes his bullshit sound more authoritative?

But wait, there's more.

If ...
you lined up Cyril's best 50 moments on an AFL ground ...

then ...
it's going to stack up very nicely against anyone's best 50 in the history of the game. And here's a twist – we reckon there's a chance he will play AFL again. Happy to put $10 on that. And if you, too, choose to do so, please bet responsibly.

Argh! Very nicely?! Do you have an editor? You've been writing for a living for 20-odd years and no one has told you this is pissweak? And why do you keep calling yourself "we"? You've got a truly freaky Norman Bates vibe going on.

We think this. We think that. Me and Mother.

Last edited:

If

the offer to keep Kelly a Cat beyond 2019 was just about finalised ...

then
it's going to need to be revisited. A genuine gun in his first year. And the Perth clubs have offered perr-lenty.

Why does he need to write "perr-lenty"? Why not just write "plenty"? Must have been a couple of characters short of his minimum word count....

6d2b6e5863107c93e3675694ab59b675.jpg

Spent 20 minutes on his podcast with Hutchy trying to throw everyone under the bus but himself in regards to the Barry Hall sacking.
How many times did he say "now i don't want you hold back hutchy, ask me anything", purely as an attempt to avoid answering a question at length. His explanation of trying to straighting the subject was pathetic. He made a weak joke during it all trying to keep up with the big boys that wasn't funny and now claims it as an attempt to straighten the conversation.

How many times did he say "now i don't want you hold back hutchy, ask me anything", purely as an attempt to avoid answering a question at length. His explanation of trying to straighting the subject was pathetic. He made a weak joke during it all trying to keep up with the big boys that wasn't funny and now claims it as an attempt to straighten the conversation.

or 'just to clarify that i'm not separating myself from the others in the room'

I usually enjoy their podcast but that was easily the worst episode i have heard.

In all honesty, I don't mind Damien Barrett - and more often than not, he seems to be pretty well-connected in terms of the stories that he brings. He's not a great judge of footy - loves his superstars a little too much - but as an investigative journo, does pretty well.

I'd prefer to listen to him than another stupid Dad joke from Carey, or a put-down from BT, thanks.

There's never been a opinionated footy journalist on a panel show who's been anything other than broadly disliked, from memory. Even Sheehan copped brickbats on here until Open Mike started - but that's a one-on-one. There's this feeling that they haven't earned their spot, somehow.

Also, he clearly gets under Brian Taylor's skin, which does go down fairly well with me.

I used to like Damo mainly because I loved the Friday Rub and Saturday rub for years. But he is shocking. A hypocrite and would be a terrible friend/collegue it has been mentioned but I was actually disgusted by his commentary about the incident on the podcast.
They have a segment called spin city all that needed to be said was “Barry hall got sacked because he made some terrible comments but by no mean was he the only one; I was a part of the conversation I should have seen where the conversation was going but I didn’t, I’m an experienced media performer I should have stepped in. I didn’t. I have have taken full responsibility. We have all learnt a lesson from this incident - I hope Barry will come back from this and he is not lost to football”.

Instead “it was nervous laughter”, “it was just Baz” “I tried to stop it” “I didn’t laugh” “I’m holier than though”.

Spare me

When Barrett stated on the podcast that the pregnancy of Joey Montagna”s wife had been a discussion point on the MMM program for several weeks I again posed the question to myself “ How does anybody listen to that s**t”?!!.

When it comes to MMM I just cannot come up with an answer.

When Barrett stated on the podcast that the pregnancy of Joey Montagna”s wife had been a discussion point on the MMM program for several weeks I again posed the question to myself “ How does anybody listen to that s**t”?!!.

Yes, I was wondering what that had to do with Bulldogs v Cats.

I don't mind him. At least him and Michael Warner have got the guts to relentlessly bag hq on air about rigged tribunal decisions and the money pit in the Gold Coast

Don’t know about Barrett but Warner and his good friend Robbo have been conducting a concerted shitcanning campaign of the AFL since they backed the wrong horse in the Essendon drugs saga. Their hilariously predictable and consistent attempts at sabotaging the reputation of HQ come entirely from an undying loyalty to their chief leakers in Hirdy and Bomber. It has nothing to do with “guts”.

Another funny one was him saying 'it was a procedure' was his attempt to straighten up the conversation. :D

Spent 20 minutes on his podcast with Hutchy trying to throw everyone under the bus but himself in regards to the Barry Hall sacking.
that is the kind of weasel he is

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bevo goes Whack!

LUKE Beveridge has labelled AFL.com.au's Sliding Doors column "disgraceful" for inferring the Western Bulldogs may have fabricated a back injury to Tom Boyd.

Contributor and long-time journalist Damian Barrett surmised in his weekly column: "IF back soreness is the real reason Boyd is not playing this weekend … THEN that's a shame. Would've liked to have seen him up against Gawn. Instead, (Jordan) Roughead, who Bevo has developed a set against, will go up against a guy who may be the best ruckman in the game."

BARRETT ON BOYD Read the round 17 Sliding Doors column

Boyd has had a well-documented battle with mental health issues over the past 12 months, and only returned to the senior side in round five after being sidelined with the condition since the middle of last year.

Speaking on Tuesday afternoon, a fired-up Beveridge wasn't mincing his words when asked about the column, dismissing the claim and declaring Boyd would have gone head-to-head with Gawn if fit.

Boyd will need to pass a fitness test to prove he's right to make the flight to Perth to take on the Eagles at Optus Stadium on Sunday.

MEDICAL ROOM Who's on your club's injury list?

"I think (the column is) disgraceful," Beveridge said.

"With mental health such a significantly sensitive issue in our game, for (Barrett) to infer we were making up (Boyd's) injury and that there is something else wrong, and why (he) would even go there, just shows what we're dealing with.

"Whoever contracts and employs (Barrett), I'm inquisitive to know what the driver is from a moralistic point of view, and a contentious point of view - there's not much there.

'We've been really happy with a 22-year-old developing ruckman who potentially, as we move into mid-twenties, will be an operational and damaging key forward – that would be outstanding.

"He found himself in a week where he was sore, out for a week and hopefully back in (against West Coast), there's a chance we'll play that 50-50 approach with 'Roughy' (in the ruck and attack).

"We've got to get through match committee and work that out."

COACHES' VOTES Gawn boosts lead with perfect 10

Beveridge also hit back at Barrett over his questioning of his relationship with Jordan Roughead, a player who has largely out of favour this season and a free agent at season's end.

The 2016 premiership coach then went on to query the role the award-winning journalist played in a recent Triple M scandal that cost Barry Hall his job with the network after the former Bulldog's comments about fellow commentator Leigh Montagna's wife.

"Even insinuating that 'Roughy' and I have relationship issues, and I'm throwing him under the bus by playing him against Gawn, is divisive," Beveridge said.

"He wriggled himself out of (the Triple M) situation when it comes to equality and the fairer sex, and now jumps into hot water when it comes to mental health."

The Western Bulldogs and Barrett had a meeting earlier in the season to work out the differences two parties have had in recent times.

Source: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-07-17/bevo-slams-disgraceful-sliding-doors-column

Bevo goes Whack!

LUKE Beveridge has labelled AFL.com.au's Sliding Doors column "disgraceful" for inferring the Western Bulldogs may have fabricated a back injury to Tom Boyd.

Contributor and long-time journalist Damian Barrett surmised in his weekly column: "IF back soreness is the real reason Boyd is not playing this weekend … THEN that's a shame. Would've liked to have seen him up against Gawn. Instead, (Jordan) Roughead, who Bevo has developed a set against, will go up against a guy who may be the best ruckman in the game."

BARRETT ON BOYD Read the round 17 Sliding Doors column

Boyd has had a well-documented battle with mental health issues over the past 12 months, and only returned to the senior side in round five after being sidelined with the condition since the middle of last year.

Speaking on Tuesday afternoon, a fired-up Beveridge wasn't mincing his words when asked about the column, dismissing the claim and declaring Boyd would have gone head-to-head with Gawn if fit.

Boyd will need to pass a fitness test to prove he's right to make the flight to Perth to take on the Eagles at Optus Stadium on Sunday.

MEDICAL ROOM Who's on your club's injury list?

"I think (the column is) disgraceful," Beveridge said.

"With mental health such a significantly sensitive issue in our game, for (Barrett) to infer we were making up (Boyd's) injury and that there is something else wrong, and why (he) would even go there, just shows what we're dealing with.

"Whoever contracts and employs (Barrett), I'm inquisitive to know what the driver is from a moralistic point of view, and a contentious point of view - there's not much there.

'We've been really happy with a 22-year-old developing ruckman who potentially, as we move into mid-twenties, will be an operational and damaging key forward – that would be outstanding.

"He found himself in a week where he was sore, out for a week and hopefully back in (against West Coast), there's a chance we'll play that 50-50 approach with 'Roughy' (in the ruck and attack).

"We've got to get through match committee and work that out."

COACHES' VOTES Gawn boosts lead with perfect 10

Beveridge also hit back at Barrett over his questioning of his relationship with Jordan Roughead, a player who has largely out of favour this season and a free agent at season's end.

The 2016 premiership coach then went on to query the role the award-winning journalist played in a recent Triple M scandal that cost Barry Hall his job with the network after the former Bulldog's comments about fellow commentator Leigh Montagna's wife.

"Even insinuating that 'Roughy' and I have relationship issues, and I'm throwing him under the bus by playing him against Gawn, is divisive," Beveridge said.

"He wriggled himself out of (the Triple M) situation when it comes to equality and the fairer sex, and now jumps into hot water when it comes to mental health."

The Western Bulldogs and Barrett had a meeting earlier in the season to work out the differences two parties have had in recent times.

Source: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-07-17/bevo-slams-disgraceful-sliding-doors-column
Just my gut feel......but i think Bevo hates DB's guts.

Hate is a very strong word, and I usually reserve it for things truly deserving of the word, like coriander or those people who try and sell you skincare products in the middle of shopping centre walkways. However, it doesn’t even begin to describe the manner in which I abhor this man.

Yep. Because they cater to the lowest common denominator. Have to appeal to the low IQ, sexist knuckle draggers out there,

Remove this Banner Ad

Back