Damian Barrett

Remove this Banner Ad

I really doubt Barrett will be known in 10 years time.

He will disappear from the game like most hot shot journo's of the past.
70% of his stories are pure negativity. He makes his living from other people's mistakes.

He will still have a job sifting through ppls rubbish to remain in the spotlight. Barrett is a grub.

Waiting for next week's "Sliding Doors" where Luke Hodge is cooked and should never have come back...
Yep we all know who the flog is going to go after for the rest of the season now

Earlier this month: Barrett seeking greater media access to players

https://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-04-04/clubs-are-stonewalling-access-to-players-says-barrett

Last year: Damian Barrett recommending “encouraging, even ordering” players to speak their minds and be more candid - as well as “allowing cameras and microphones into huddles and wiring of players during matches” as 2 of his 10 rules to “fix the game for fans”

https://m.afl.com.au/news/2018-06-06/barrett-10-ways-to-fix-footy-for-the-fans

🧐🧐🧐

This is a great example of the hypocrisy of the footy media on this.

On one hand constantly wailing it's 2019 and players should be much more media friendly, but when players adjust to these media requirements Barrett types turn into Denis Pagan in the 1990s and accuse them of going down media street.

On one hand constantly wailing it's 2019 and players should be much more media friendly, but when players adjust to these media requirements Barrett types turn into Denis Pagan in the 1990s and accuse them of going down media street.

Damian “Purple” “Revolving-sliding doors” “Parrot” Barrett.

He’s all over the shop. And you’re right, definitely not the only one!

or if the players refuse, the media chucks a tantrum about them not going along with their wants/needs for "the good of the game".

True to form, Barrett absolute s**t his pants when Hodge barrelled him on Triple M

It could have been better.

I would love for someone to really go him as a fraud who uses his privileged media position to run these low rent pathetic personal agendas, and then tries to pretend like he is just a impartial participant who calls it as he sees it.

It could have been better.

I would love for someone to really go him as a fraud who uses his privileged media position to run these low rent pathetic personal agendas, and then tries to pretend like he is just a impartial participant who calls it as he sees it.
Pretty good I thought. Reasoned without being abusive. Made Barret look like a scared second rate hack with zero skills. Jeez there are some flogs in footy media

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I honestly don’t know how Judd etc can stand to work with him. Just hearing this smug campaigner talk in the box with them makes me want to smack him in the mouth. Hopefully one day one of these players or ex players he starts conflict with does it for me.

His scoops have and always will be nothing stories or rehashed stories he’s trying to make seem groundbreaking.

I understand the need for radio shows and TV shows to have a journalist or two who may be more negative than your typical journalist and report on a specific type of story (in his case the workings of clubs and the league itself). But this dude is just on a whole different planet. Bags everyone and everything. I don’t think there’s a club in the AFL that hasn’t had something going drastically wrong the moment they lose a few games according to this campaigner. He seems to hate the game and the league itself too. Spent last year telling everyone how broken footy is. If it’s all so s**t Damo then why do you spend so much time getting paid to talk about it?

Reality is this guy is lucky the AFL exists and companies hire knobs like him. Otherwise he’d be in some nothing job being an office campaigner that everyone despises.

Sums up what an embarrassment journalism is in this country these days when he’s an “award” winning journo.

I’ve seen comparisons to Hutchy but Hutchy despite being a knob himself at times actually has a clue. He isn’t constantly negative either and he’s fairly impressive as a speaker when you see him.

I reckon I could maybe like him a tiny bit if he wasn’t so stubborn and repetitive. Once a coach or club does something to get on his nerves he won’t let go. Last year it was Beveridge. This year he won’t shut up about Hannebery even though nobody really cares by now, especially with the Saints currently playing well.

Hodge and St Kilda his new targets this year. Purple loves being to part of the headlines.

Last edited:
Another horrible person being a journalist?
Not unexpected.
Though Purple does take it to the higher levels.

Earlier this month: Barrett seeking greater media access to players

https://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-04-04/clubs-are-stonewalling-access-to-players-says-barrett

Last year: Damian Barrett recommending “encouraging, even ordering” players to speak their minds and be more candid - as well as “allowing cameras and microphones into huddles and wiring of players during matches” as 2 of his 10 rules to “fix the game for fans”

https://m.afl.com.au/news/2018-06-06/barrett-10-ways-to-fix-footy-for-the-fans

🧐🧐🧐

Somebody with Twitter should send Barrett a reminder of these recent bodies of work... seems to think from this article that he has been against wiring players for years:

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-04-21/barrett-hodgey-i-was-wrong-but-not-about-the-mike

Old Purple just can't help himself. Even as he apologises to Hodge he has to have one more dig at him on the way out:

Source: https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-04-21/barrett-hodgey-i-was-wrong-but-not-about-the-mike

"I did use the phrase "well-paid contract" to describe your dealings with Channel Seven. That was wrong. Repeat … wrong. And Hodgey, I do here apologise for that, as I did on the Sunday Footy Show, and would have done on Triple M on Saturday if you at some stage had taken your eyes off the notes in front of you in your too-long rant".

Old Purple just can't help himself. Even as he apologises to Hodge he has to have one more dig at him on the way out:

Source: https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-04-21/barrett-hodgey-i-was-wrong-but-not-about-the-mike

"I did use the phrase "well-paid contract" to describe your dealings with Channel Seven. That was wrong. Repeat … wrong. And Hodgey, I do here apologise for that, as I did on the Sunday Footy Show, and would have done on Triple M on Saturday if you at some stage had taken your eyes off the notes in front of you in your too-long rant".
This is the most frustrating thing. Has been shown up but uses his "power" of media platform to have a parting dig at him. Just except you are wrong and move on. It's almost Robbi like behavior.

Listened to 4 of the most recent episodes of this for the first time this morning. He doesn't seem like a bad bloke just very entitled in his opinion...It's hilarious how many times Hutchy weighs in with a different opinion and Barrett massively changes his tune though :poo:
image.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back