wagstaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 28, 2001
The Sea of Holes
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars, Arsenal
I can't even begin to comprehend why the AFL website has taken it upon themselves to give this bloke even more of a spotlight this year. Every second article seems to have been penned by Purple, all to the same level of ineptitude.

Yep, it's embarrassing when you see on the website (or app) one of the top headlines a story entirely composed of Barrett's views. Does anyone respect his football opinions?

May 1, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Bayern Munich, Tottenham Hotspur
Yep, it's embarrassing when you see on the website (or app) one of the top headlines a story entirely composed of Barrett's views. Does anyone respect his football opinions?

They learned from old mate Rupert M. After seeing the success the Sun have had employing gutter journalists and generating negative attention with their SuperCoach work, they thought they’d go the same route - hiring the biggest and best in gutter slime.

Very....ahh...deep by Damo

24C687A7-CD2D-473A-BB19-AA583CCF0DBE.jpeg

8 min 15 sec in.

tbf are journalists not allowed to criticize players earning top money when they are no performing because of mental issues?

tbf are journalists not allowed to criticize players earning top money when they are no performing because of mental issues?

They can question the value of the contract, but mental illness should be treated like injury. Say it was a physical injury, he could state dogs took a risk on an injury prone player. However you cant really fault a guy who's out of the team in rehab?

This is the one that set off Beveridge originally with Barrett over Boyd. Boyd had just come back into the team from his time out of the game with depression. Inference that it was something other back soreness, that he was omitted from the team. Yet when Barrett was pressed on the subject he didn't divulge what that reason was.

1558057666657.png

Falcon27

Club Legend
Sep 8, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Sounds like the heat is finally coming on him. Maybe the AFL should have a look at who they employ as part of their prioritisation of players mental health...
Article on afl.com was very selective in which Bevo quotes they choose to run with.

Aug 14, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
They can question the value of the contract, but mental illness should be treated like injury. Say it was a physical injury, he could state dogs took a risk on an injury prone player. However you cant really fault a guy who's out of the team in rehab?

This is the one that set off Beveridge originally with Barrett over Boyd. Boyd had just come back into the team from his time out of the game with depression. Inference that it was something other back soreness, that he was omitted from the team. Yet when Barrett was pressed on the subject he didn't divulge what that reason was.

View attachment 675366
Being fair, he said in the media later that he was referring to a finger injury rather than a back injury being what kept Boyd out. Boyd had had a finger injury.

Whether he was telling the truth or not who knows and given his time out of the game it was pretty clear people would think it was a reference to depression though.

MC_9

Premiership Player
Aug 29, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls

View attachment 675366

Love that Beverage is going hard at him.

The bloke is a dead set germ, and I am really surprised that he is still employed by AFL.com given he is so widely disliked.

Love that Beverage is going hard at him.

The bloke is a dead set germ, and I am really surprised that he is still employed by AFL.com given he is so widely disliked.
There was an article where Barrett basically called Bevo a liar regarding Boyd's back injury - shortly before said back injury kept Boyd out of the entire 2018-19 pre-season.

Sep 16, 2016
I have no idea
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Quite a few
Barrett has responded to Bevo's presser:

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-19/barrett-big-guns-make-flag-chase-a-race-in-five

Relevant section:

"Go your hardest, Luke, but leave Boyd out of it

Would prefer to not have to use part of this column to refer to Luke Beveridge's comments on Friday, as I addressed it twice on Triple M and once on Channel Nine over the weekend.

But I would get accused by some of weakly avoiding it if I didn't.

Beveridge's long-winded, personal-hijack reference to a journalist who would "never be forgiven by anyone at our football club" because of "how black that soul is" within an otherwise heartfelt addressing of Tom Boyd's retirement from football was a sad reflection on him, as well as being factually wrong and deeply insulting.

It was the second time in 12 months that Beveridge had used Tom Boyd to leverage his own hatred of me.
Beveridge's dislike of me began in September 2015 when he was riled about my reporting of his handling of the supposed elimination final information exchange between his player Michael Talia and his brother, Daniel Talia, of Adelaide.

Four days after that report, at the Brownlow Medal dinner, he made forceful physical contact with me. It may have been an accident. It may not have been.

The Western Bulldogs lied to me early the following season, Boyd's second at the Bulldogs, when I directly asked about a bar stoush between Boyd and teammate Zaine Cordy.

During that period, Beveridge had been economical with the truth about why Boyd was playing in the VFL.
The very next morning after my inquiries about this matter, and after lying about it, the club issued a media release, conceding it had disciplined Boyd and Cordy.

This was long before Boyd had publicly raised his mental health issues.

I have never questioned any aspect of that part of Boyd's life, and from the moment he kicked his third goal in the 2016 Grand Final, a game in which I felt he should have been rewarded with the Norm Smith Medal, I have regularly stated he had fully paid back the extraordinary money the club used to recruit him as a 19-year-old from GWS.

Go your hardest with your words towards me, Luke, any time you like. That's your right. But stick to facts and leave Tom Boyd out of it."

Sep 28, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon
I find it pretty average that he chose to use a football article to respond to the complaints leveled at him.

It was a terrible use of AFL.com bandwidth, but somehow still better than his sliding doors tripe.

Mar 18, 2012
Vic
AFL Club
Fremantle
Barrett has responded to Bevo's presser:

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-19/barrett-big-guns-make-flag-chase-a-race-in-five

Relevant section:

"Go your hardest, Luke, but leave Boyd out of it

Would prefer to not have to use part of this column to refer to Luke Beveridge's comments on Friday, as I addressed it twice on Triple M and once on Channel Nine over the weekend.

But I would get accused by some of weakly avoiding it if I didn't.

Beveridge's long-winded, personal-hijack reference to a journalist who would "never be forgiven by anyone at our football club" because of "how black that soul is" within an otherwise heartfelt addressing of Tom Boyd's retirement from football was a sad reflection on him, as well as being factually wrong and deeply insulting.

It was the second time in 12 months that Beveridge had used Tom Boyd to leverage his own hatred of me.
Beveridge's dislike of me began in September 2015 when he was riled about my reporting of his handling of the supposed elimination final information exchange between his player Michael Talia and his brother, Daniel Talia, of Adelaide.

Four days after that report, at the Brownlow Medal dinner, he made forceful physical contact with me. It may have been an accident. It may not have been.

The Western Bulldogs lied to me early the following season, Boyd's second at the Bulldogs, when I directly asked about a bar stoush between Boyd and teammate Zaine Cordy.

During that period, Beveridge had been economical with the truth about why Boyd was playing in the VFL.
The very next morning after my inquiries about this matter, and after lying about it, the club issued a media release, conceding it had disciplined Boyd and Cordy.

This was long before Boyd had publicly raised his mental health issues.

I have never questioned any aspect of that part of Boyd's life, and from the moment he kicked his third goal in the 2016 Grand Final, a game in which I felt he should have been rewarded with the Norm Smith Medal, I have regularly stated he had fully paid back the extraordinary money the club used to recruit him as a 19-year-old from GWS.

Go your hardest with your words towards me, Luke, any time you like. That's your right. But stick to facts and leave Tom Boyd out of it."

Absolute weasel. Summed up:
"I'm gonna write this here because I'm to cowardly to talk to Bevo directly"
"He started it"
"He hates me"
"He's a liar"
"I've done nothing wrong"

How can this shite get posted on the official AFL website, really.

Absolute weasel. Summed up:
"I'm gonna write this here because I'm to cowardly to talk to Bevo directly"
"He started it"
"He hates me"
"He's a liar"
"I've done nothing wrong"

How can this shite get posted on the official AFL website, really.

Yep send bevo an email or ring him if you want, its not worth an article

Back