Damian Barrett

Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Rams, 76's, Brewers
WTF?? no mention of Clarko this week or sucking up his backside somehow??

he2.gif

Jul 29, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We get stuck into Barrett a fair bit and often with cause, but it would be unfair not to recognise good work also - and this article about Danny Frawley was brilliant. Moving and gives a real insight into Spud

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
IF purple vomits on his keyboard on a Thursday night......THEN he submits it and calls it sliding doors.
Well that would be an improvement.

But he’s not partial to improvement.

hilly

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 27, 2000
Frank Grey Smith Bar
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Triple M commentary team
We get stuck into Barrett a fair bit and often with cause, but it would be unfair not to recognise good work also - and this article about Danny Frawley was brilliant. Moving and gives a real insight into Spud

Yes it's good writing, shame we see it all too rarely.

Nal81

Draftee
Sep 29, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Is there any explanation on why Kane Cornes has replaced Damo on the Late trade with Terry Wallace?

ash_1050

Premiership Player
Nov 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory and Arsenal
Damian Barrett called Fantasia ‘immature’ for only selecting a new manager now and for effectively not providing a running commentary on his playing future since his previous manager denied he would be leaving Essendon a couple of months ago. 🤦‍♂️

Fantasia is immature because he's incredibly self centred and is on manager 4 now in 5 years of AFL.
Likewise of course his previous manager would deny Fantasia wants to leave the bombers, so did the Bombers and Fantasia himself. Nobody in AFL advises mid season they're moving to a different club/state like they do in the NRL.

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Is there any explanation on why Kane Cornes has replaced Damo on the Late trade with Terry Wallace?

I think it is purely a contract issue with SEN in SA and Victoria taking trade radio at different parts of the day. Barrett has a contract with Triple M so can't be heard on SEN. Same issue with Russell.

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
I used to rate Barrett but I think now a days he has got a bit too comfortable.

I also think he and a few others try to do too much. Barrett does Channel 9, Triple M, AFL website, podcasts and I have probably missed something. As a result he has zero time for research and probably watches very little football. There is only so many hours in the day.

Ishikawa

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

I also think he and a few others try to do too much. Barrett does Channel 9, Triple M, AFL website, podcasts and I have probably missed something. As a result he has zero time for research and probably watches very little football. There is only so many hours in the day.

That's interesting because I've actually found myself going the other way and developing more respect for him through his podcast, interviews (but fully acknowledge/aware clickbait drivel like "if... then" and his petty spat with Beverige is still out there).

Winky

Club Legend
Jan 7, 2009
Sunshine coast
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts

The whole AFL media industry, Barrett in particular, is focused on themselves and not the AFL itself. It's almost as if the reporting and who said what is the priority rather than letting the public know what is happening. Barrett carries huge grudges and biases with all of his work and of course it is not reporting but clearly opinion stated as fact. I'm no fan of Freo but when they try and extract a good deal for a player in Hill who is under contract and probably close to their best player, he is derisive and critical. On the other hand, Geelong demand the world for Kelly who is not contracted and has grounds for a trade and Barrett says this is brilliant work from the Cats. Given that both players were recruited by their clubs for picks in the mid 20's there are a lot of similarities. The criticism of Fantasia is also childish and he seems to be miffed that Fantasia didn't just do as the "journos" were reporting. Just an arrogant and opinionated clown

Sep 27, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
The whole AFL media industry, Barrett in particular, is focused on themselves and not the AFL itself. It's almost as if the reporting and who said what is the priority rather than letting the public know what is happening. Barrett carries huge grudges and biases with all of his work and of course it is not reporting but clearly opinion stated as fact. I'm no fan of Freo but when they try and extract a good deal for a player in Hill who is under contract and probably close to their best player, he is derisive and critical. On the other hand, Geelong demand the world for Kelly who is not contracted and has grounds for a trade and Barrett says this is brilliant work from the Cats. Given that both players were recruited by their clubs for picks in the mid 20's there are a lot of similarities. The criticism of Fantasia is also childish and he seems to be miffed that Fantasia didn't just do as the "journos" were reporting. Just an arrogant and opinionated clown

Nailed it. If things didn’t suit them or go to their script, they’re into you. It’s all ego and a giant p****** contest. Look at the number of ‘exclusives’. Exclusives are just a look at me exercise, the general public couldn’t care less, they just want the story to be accurate.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Fantasia is immature because he's incredibly self centred and is on manager 4 now in 5 years of AFL.
Likewise of course his previous manager would deny Fantasia wants to leave the bombers, so did the Bombers and Fantasia himself. Nobody in AFL advises mid season they're moving to a different club/state like they do in the NRL.

Wait, he's actually had 4 managers? WTF

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Love this post. Barrett is not often completely wrong but most of his opinions are clouded by self-serving hysteria. He is now demanding that Tom Harley issued a public statement/apology for Sydney’s ‘failure’ to land Joe Daniher. I agree that it isn’t a great look when a club fails to acquire a known target, however, Harley and co don’t owe anyone s**t in terms of public commentary. They couldn’t get a deal done that was mutually acceptable, what else is there to say?

Sydney can expect to cop a weekly lashing in Sliding Doors for the next year at least.

Love this post. Barrett is not often completely wrong but most of his opinions are clouded by self-serving hysteria. He is now demanding that Tom Harley issued a public statement/apology for Sydney’s ‘failure’ to land Joe Daniher. I agree that it isn’t a great look when a club fails to acquire a known target, however, Harley and co don’t owe anyone s**t in terms of public commentary. They couldn’t get a deal done that was mutually acceptable, what else is there to say?

Sydney can expect to cop a weekly lashing in Sliding Doors for the next year at least.
His reporting of this saga has been disgraceful. It would have been an infinitely worse act on the part of Harley to force someone like Blakey, Heeney or Parker out of the club just to get his man.

revo333

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Barrett said this week that he received an abusive voice mail from a Richmond player the morning after the Grand Final at 4.30 am, He wouldn't reveal who the player was.

Jack Riewoldt?

Back