Damian Barrett

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
Seriously?

The segment is just his name but it still says "with Damien Barrett"? Do you really need to tell us twice? Who else would it be?

1617815819576.png

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
FMD this guy grinds my gears.

Let's recap some of his comments on WC and Tim Kelly.

At the start of the 2019 trade period, "Damo" was on the radio talking about how the deal might get done. He was adamant that it would be too hard for WC to satisfy Geelong.

"I dont see any way that Geelong can strike a deal with West Coast."

"There is still no way that a trade can work between Geelong and West Coast."

"I still don't see how this gets done."

"This is going to go right up to the end of trade period."

And then it goes through on day one via a trade of WC's existing picks. It was expensive but relatively straightforward, after "Damo" spent weeks insisting that it was impossible.

Now, in his recap of WC beating Freo, he's talking about Kelly, saying that he's "still sceptical about what WC gave up to get him".

Damo, the trade blew your mind at the time. You thought it would be impossible. And instead it got done for existing picks. How can you now claim to be "sceptical" about it?

Last edited:

Mr Experience

Southern Power fan
Apr 8, 2021
wat
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Anyone who still holds the opinion that Sliding Doors isn't the best column in footy journalism is wrong.

Boristown

Premiership Player
May 24, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
FMD this guy grinds my gears.

Let's recap some of his comments on WC and Tim Kelly.

At the start of the 2019 trade period, "Damo" was on the radio talking about how the deal might get done. He was adamant that it would be too hard for WC to satisfy Geelong.

"I dont see any way that Geelong can strike a deal with West Coast."

"There is still no way that a trade can work between Geelong and West Coast."

"I still don't see how this gets done."

"This is going to go right up to the end of trade period."

And then it goes through on day one via a trade of WC's existing picks. It was expensive but relatively straightforward, after "Damo" spent weeks insisting that it was impossible.

Now, in his recap of WC beating Freo, he's talking about Kelly, saying that's he "still sceptical about what WC gave up to get him".

Damo, the trade blew your mind at the time. You thought it would be impossible. And instead it got done for existing picks. How can you now claim to be "sceptical" about it?

Did he do it in that weird tone where he accentuates every second word?

newcastlefalcon

Team Captain
Oct 1, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
I really do try and avoid reading and certainly watching anything that Barrett does but I saw his Sliding Doors on afl.com.au today and had to comment.
He made the comment about Jacob Edwards being taken by the Roos and said "they should play him immediately, after their bye, against GWS. And that would be one almighty initiation for Jacob Edwards, playing against Shane Mumford in an AFL debut."
I would have thought that any rational and balanced view would not have a brand new draftee playing his first game against the monster that is Shane Mumford.
Just reinforces why the only thing that I find Barrett consistent and accurate about is always introducing himself.

hilly

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 27, 2000
Frank Grey Smith Bar
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Triple M commentary team
I really do try and avoid reading and certainly watching anything that Barrett does but I saw his Sliding Doors on afl.com.au today and had to comment.
He made the comment about Jacob Edwards being taken by the Roos and said "they should play him immediately, after their bye, against GWS. And that would be one almighty initiation for Jacob Edwards, playing against Shane Mumford in an AFL debut."
I would have thought that any rational and balanced view would not have a brand new draftee playing his first game against the monster that is Shane Mumford.
Just reinforces why the only thing that I find Barrett consistent and accurate about is always introducing himself.

Desperate to criticise NM, yet had we overlooked Edwards....

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
Surely the absurd "Sliding Doors" contrivance has done its dash. It's just a series of statements shoehorned into the "if/then" format in a way that has nothing to do with any implied hypothetical.

What's this about?

IF ...
Bont in my eyes is THE standout player of 2021 ...

THEN ...
Trac is second to him. And Trac still has five matches to catch him, beginning Saturday night when he lines up inside the MCG square against him. After that moment, Bont will go one way, Trac the other, as they both inevitably go about controlling their team's fortunes in this fascinating 1 v 2 ladder clash. Cannot wait.

What do you mean by "IF..."? It's your opinion. Why is it couched as a hypothetical? It's like saying "if I had two legs, I'd walk to the shops". What do you mean "IF..."?! You do have two legs! Why are you suggesting there's some contingency in play here?

What would be lost by simply stating: "I regard Bontempelli as the standout player of 2021 but Petracca is second"?

It's the same information minus the bullshit word salad.

And this writing below is awful, just awful. This would be unacceptable in a high school essay.

IF ...
the Dockers had entered round 18 in seventh place on the ladder ...

THEN ...
while factually they exited it in 10th place, so bereft of top eight relevance did they seem in scoring just three goals against Geelong that it might as well been 15th

Again, what do you mean by "IF..."? Did they or didn't they? It's not an "if" statement. And then the traffic accident of jumbled clauses in the second part is appalling.

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
fu** it annoys me when he calls Oliver & Petracca “Tracc” and “Clarry”
I saw a clip on the AFL site last week. It was about Zurhaar taking a great mark. The headline referred simply to "Cam". Like "Cam flies high".

It's like when you were playing U10s and one of the dads wrote a match report for the newsletter each week.

Edit: here we go. Are we serious? Is he Cher?

Oh right, Cam. Of course. Everyone knows Cam. That could only possibly be one person. That's how well-known Cam has become. It's amateur hour with these peanuts.

1627026121268.png

Scoho

Cancelled
Apr 22, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I saw a clip on the AFL site last week. It was about Zurhaar taking a great mark. The headline referred simply to "Cam". Like "Cam flies high".

It's like when you were playing U10s and one of the dads wrote a match report for the newsletter each week.

Edit: here we go. Are we serious? Is he Cher?

Oh right, Cam. Of course. Everyone knows Cam. That could only possibly be one person. That's how well-known Cam has become. It's amateur hour with these peanuts.

View attachment 1184670

Its such an stupid American thing, specifically NBA more than any other sport. Everyone is referred to by their first name. It's always Le Bron this, Steph that.

Back