Not open for further replies.

RFCGloryJC

Publicity for Ricky Nixon and the St Kilda Girl
Jun 13, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Inter Milan, Real Madrid šŸ‘‘
Not everyone's life affects you personally and directly, of course not.
However, the Hardwicks would be experiencing a range of difficult emotions at this time.
You can acknowledge this and feel sad about it to a certain extent.
We are human beings after all.
You would be less than human if you were not affected by the death of Dan Frawley.
This is a different sort of loss.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2015
Nathalia Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Leeds United
That is society nowadays and it's so easy to through in the towel. As long as no one else is involved it's sad but as they say, S happens.
You can bet he won't be the same as the media will be all over him day and night, especially after a loss. People say but they looked happy together! Well, it just shows looks are deceiving.

In all seriousness, beside the potential downside to not performing at the best of his capabilities, why does anyone care that he split with his wife? All these posts saying it is sad news for someone (I assume) none of us know personally.

I genuinely don't understand how people feel sad for other's who they never know on a personal going through relationship problems. A quantum super computer calculating until the heat-death of universe could not calculate the number of fu**s I do not give about Elon Musk's marital status and I own shares of Tesla. I may be a sociopath for not getting it, but I think that the people who felt emotion about Brad and Angelina divorcing are a special kind of crazy.

I donā€™t know Angus Young, i am not a member of AC/DC. But the day he passes i will shed a tear for the joy his music put in my life.
Damien has put a lot of joy into my life by being involved with something i am particularly passionate about. I feel empathy for his families situation.
Itā€™s also a reminder of how tough this year has been and a lot of families have paid a price.

JAKLAUGHING

šŸ†šŸ†šŸ†šŸ†šŸ†šŸ†šŸ†šŸ†šŸ†šŸ†šŸ†šŸ†šŸ†
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
Very sad news.
I hope it all works out in the end for Dimma, Mrs Hardwick and the family. family always comes first.
On another note, I hope this doesnt affect his coaching for the seasons ahead. She has seemingly been his backbone when he has struggled. So it will be a big challenge
Agree

Sometimes things just don't work out. Maybe Dimma is a campaigner, maybe she's a psycho, or maybe it just ran its course.

Starting the dating game is probably not a good way to get optimum performance as a coach though, so a conga line of slappers would be much preferred.

Tiger_Of_Old

šŸ†šŸ†šŸ†šŸ†šŸ†šŸ†šŸ†šŸ†šŸ†šŸ†šŸ†šŸ†šŸ†
Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Very sad news.

They want to keep matters private. Best wishes to their children most importantly and hoping their can work together to ensure everyone can find happiness.
Geez.Who would have guessed that?

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ā€˜17? ā€˜19?
AFL Club
Richmond
Hey dont shoot the messenger, its just what i was thinking, only because of how much Dimma has praised his wife over his whole time at Richmond, its been constant and they even allow rookies to stay at their place, Danielle has had a big say in getting Damien's head right, it seems very odd, Rance quit footy and even that didnt work for him and his relationship.

i just wont be surprised if Dimma does the same. He has also lost a lot of his support staff and his contract does end in 2021. Id be surprised if this doesnt effect him in some way this season and its foolish to think it wont.
I know what youā€™re saying itā€™s just not how I read him , can you honestly see dimma running a cafe or working in Bunnings or training racehorses instead as an example . Heā€™s nothing like rance in terms of personality in fact polar opposite , I can see him in football for some time yet , he as a Malthouse type intensity thatā€™s suited to football

SunshineBoy

šŸ†šŸ†šŸ†šŸ†šŸ†šŸ†šŸ†šŸ†šŸ†šŸ†šŸ†šŸ† šŸ†
Jan 3, 2012
From the interview room
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, Victory, All Blecks,
Hope this will make them both happier- that is all that matters.
Clinging on to a relationship that has burned out is no good for anyone.

Peace to you Dimma and Mrs Hardwick...
Hear hear

SunshineBoy

Jan 3, 2012
From the interview room
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Time for everyone else to step up a little (senior players and assistant coaches )
Youā€™d think that most if not all would know both parties
Could make it awkward some people wonā€™t know how to act

I separated when my twins were 19 and initially thought it would be no problems for them , they took it hard and a knee jerk reaction was to side with their mother
Despite the fame and success or more so because of it he could be in for a very tough 6 months or so and it might be next off season when he gets time and space to get his head right

mate my daughter hasnā€™t spoken to me since the split and she was 24 at the time

Nov 26, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond

SunshineBoy

Jan 3, 2012
From the interview room
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
agree for a vacuous celeb...

THIS is very sad even without knowing any details, I hope wounds heal for you and all concerned.
The split was very amicable with the ex, my son and I are close but my girl, changed her surname even to my exes new surname

GoTigers2015

šŸ†šŸ†šŸ†šŸ†šŸ†šŸ†šŸ†šŸ†šŸ†šŸ†2017šŸ†2019šŸ†2020šŸ†
Oct 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Dimma_smiling.jpg

Nov 26, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
First Nathan Buckley, now Damien Hardwick has split with his wife
Two weeks after Nathan Buckley announced the end of his marriage, Richmond coach Damien Hardwick has followed suit.

Jai Bednall

9a6f3ec26b5a9dbcfd184f6d1e301f75

December 16, 20206:48am
d067c9a659fea364c3625f27b3abaa89

Damien Hardwick and his wife Danielle at the 2017 Brownlow Medal. (Photo by Scott Barbour/Getty Images)Source:Getty Images
Two might not make a trend but back-to-back breakups by leading coaches Nathan Buckley and Damien Hardwick has marked a troubling end to a challenging season for all involved in the AFL.
Less than a fortnight after Collingwood coach Buckley and his wife Tania announced the end of their 18-year union, the Herald Sun has revealed Richmondā€™s Hardwick has separated from his wife, Danielle.
They have three children, Ben, Isabelle and Imogen.

Often referred to by the Tigers coach as ā€œMrs Hardwickā€ in press conferences, Danielle had been by her husbandā€™s side through an incredibly successful career in football thatā€™s included flags as a player with Essendon and Port Adelaide and now three more as coach of Richmond.
The Herald Sun reports Danielle spent a short amount of time in Queensland while the Tigers were based in a hub this season because of COVIDā€™s impact in Victoria, but the reasons for their separation are unknown.
After leading the Tigers to a grand final win against Geelong, Hardwick had flagged the personal toll the season had taken on him.
ā€œIā€™m going to take a bit of a longer break this year over summer,ā€ Hardwick told 3AW.
ā€œItā€™s been a pretty full on 3-4 years and weā€™ve done a hell of a lot of work and had a lot of success along the way but sometimes you need to step back.ā€
It comes after Hawthorn coach Alastair Clarkson expressed his concern over the growing list of coaching casualties following Rhyce Shawā€™s exit from the Kangaroos because of personal issues.
HOW DANIELLE BECAME ā€˜MRS HARDWICKā€™
Damien Hardwick with wife, Danielle, and son, Benjamin, in 1998.

Damien Hardwick with wife, Danielle, and son, Benjamin, in 1998.Source:Herald Sun
After winning a premiership with Port Adelaide.

After winning a premiership with Port Adelaide.Source:The Advertiser
Hardwick and Danielle got together in the 1990s while he was playing at Essendon.
Despite never having visited the city, she moved with him and their children to Adelaide ahead of the 2002 season when he was squeezed out by the Bombersā€™ salary cap pressures.
After his retirement in 2004 they talked about buying a few hectares in the Adelaide Hills but he was drawn to coaching and after an apprenticeship at Hawthorn was given the top job at Richmond in late 2009.
It took several years for the Tigers to taste finals success and while never seeking the limelight, Danielle was described as her husbandā€™s rock as he held on to his job just long enough to build Richmond into a powerhouse.
She also took a keen interest in the club and its players.
When Hardwick was struggling with the decision on whether to pick Marlion Pickett for his debut in the 2019 grand final, Danielle put her two cents in.
ā€œI must admit, she was pushing Marlion harder than anyone,ā€™ā€™ Hardwick said after the Tigers defeated the Giants.
ā€œShe goes, ā€˜Youā€™ve just got to play him heā€™s too goodā€™. She was in the VFL coaches box watching me and she kept smiling at me looking at him as he was playing.
ā€œSheā€™s been a terrific supporter of mine and behind every man is a great woman and Iā€™m very fortunate.ā€
When former player Jake King was struggling to control his aggression on the field in 2010, he had to answer to ā€œMrs Hardwickā€.
ā€œEvery time I misbehave, I have to deal with her. She will let me know during the week. Thereā€™s not much you can say back to her,ā€ King said in 2010.
ā€œShe comes over and says what she has to say and you cop it and walk away.ā€
Damien and Danielle Hardwick at the 2018 Richmond B&F at Crown. Picture: FIONA HAMILTON PHOTOGRAPHY

Damien and Danielle Hardwick at the 2018 Richmond B&F at Crown. Picture: FIONA HAMILTON PHOTOGRAPHYSource:Herald Sun
Her husband wasnā€™t spared either. After Hardwick made out-of-character comments about Sydneyā€™s tactical approach in a game this year, he was told in no uncertain terms to apologise to Swans coach John Longmire.
ā€œ(Mrs Hardwick) wasnā€™t overly happy with the press conference. She gave me a dressing down after it. That was a good result,ā€™ā€™ he said at the time.
There were also lighter moments.
In 2013, after a defeat against Collingwood, Hardwick said about under performing: ā€œIt happens all the time; sometimes I like to make love to my wife (but) donā€™t perform to the highest standard.ā€
He also referenced ā€œMrs Hardwickā€ after trading barbs with former Port teammate Kane Cornes in the media.
ā€œIt might not seem this way but I do have a lot of love for Kane, we obviously played in a premiership together and itā€™s like Mrs Hardwick, we have our little blues every now and then but we certainly make up. I prefer making up with Mrs Hardwick more so than Kane Cornes, but we move on pretty quickly,ā€ he said.

When former player Jake King was struggling to control his aggression on the field in 2010, he had to answer to ā€œMrs Hardwickā€.
ā€œEvery time I misbehave, I have to deal with her. She will let me know during the week. Thereā€™s not much you can say back to her,ā€ King said in 2010.
ā€œShe comes over and says what she has to say and you cop it and walk away.ā€

Can we get Danielle to sort out Stack ?

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2001
Punt Road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melbourne Heart, Furies
This is a real shame, I didn't see it coming.

I hope for all involved that it's resolved as peacefully as possible.

Tassie27

Club Legend
Jan 13, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
LOL its called empathy, doesnt bother me if people do or dont but it does impact us because it relates to Richmond thats what concerns me.

I feel empathy because I have been through a breakup and divorce myself and I understand how difficult it must be for the Hardwick's and their children at the moment. It is an absolute horrible time and just to know that it is happening to people that I actually care about makes me sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back