Damien Hardwick says "I don’t have to remind anyone in this room what our track record is against the Cats on the biggest stage”

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
19 pages after a tongue in cheek comment, at a B&F

a comment in which by the same logic, one could argue he disparaged the previous reigning premiers as he called them "banged up"

Christ, Collingwood v Carlton never had anything on this sooky rivalry

Of all the teams this year, Richmond, Brisbane (ended up doing better than I thought), Geelong and Western Bulldogs looked the most likely to struggle. Geelong because of previous finals campaigns, Brisbane due to their one dimensional midfield, Dogs due to insipid responses after being challenged for 20 minutes during a close game and Richmond due to their veterans running on fumes.

Hardwick can say what he likes, he has earned the right having won premierships as a player and coach. Don't think they would have gotten within 4 goals of Geelong if you look at it in hindsight.

Of all the teams this year, Richmond, Brisbane (ended up doing better than I thought), Geelong and Western Bulldogs looked the most likely to struggle. Geelong because of previous finals campaigns, Brisbane due to their one dimensional midfield, Dogs due to insipid responses after being challenged for 20 minutes during a close game and Richmond due to their veterans running on fumes.

Hardwick can say what he likes, he has earned the right having won premierships as a player and coach. Don't think they would have gotten within 4 goals of Geelong if you look at it in hindsight.
Hardwick has had a crazy career as coach and player.

He won 6 minor premierships in a row with two clubs. 3 in a row at Essendon and then Port with one premiership for both. Then he lead Richmond to 3 premierships in 4 years. I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets legend status in the AFL Hall of Fame for that. There’s already lesser men in the illustrious group.

Hardwick has had a crazy career as coach and player.

He won 6 minor premierships in a row with two clubs. 3 in a row at Essendon and then Port with one premiership for both. Then he lead Richmond to 3 premierships in 4 years. I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets legend status in the AFL Hall of Fame for that. There’s already lesser men in the illustrious group.
Needs to win at least one more as a coach. If he gets in it is mostly based on his coaching, but he wasn’t a good enough player (only one B&F and one AA) such that when his playing record is added to his coaching record it elevates him to Legend status.

2010a64f73d272d6029a1b3eafd45415

View attachment 1520866
reposted for accuracy and i needed to check something.

Yup .. its still there.

GO Catters

Makes sense, Fadge. Because 32 year old Danger is so much better than 29 year old Danger; ditto Selwood, Hawkins etc. And because Ablett and Tim Kelly, compared to de Konig and Holmes, were such rubbish players as to make Geelong a 12 goal worse side.

Geelong's 2022 win actually retrospectively shows how good Richmond 2020 were.

Tim Kelly was invisible in the 2020 GF, zero possessions! It’s almost like he played for West Coast that season 🤔

Tim Kelly was invisible in the 2020 GF, zero possessions! It’s almost like he played for West Coast that season 🤔
He certainly wasn’t invisible in the 2019 prelim. He had 31 and 3 goals, so forgive me if I’m not totally convinced that Geelong are a 12 goal better side now

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He certainly wasn’t invisible in the 2019 prelim. He had 31 and 3 goals, so forgive me if I’m not totally convinced that Geelong are a 12 goal better side now

Kelly was sensational in 2019 but Jeremy Cameron was better and more valuable in 2022.

I’m not going to argue about semantics and how much better 2022 Geelong is compared to 2019/20 but we are absolutely a better, more even, more versatile team in terms of both personnel and gameplan.

Kelly was sensational in 2019 but Jeremy Cameron was better and more valuable in 2022.

I’m not going to argue about semantics and how much better 2022 Geelong is compared to 2019/20 but we are absolutely a better, more even, more versatile team in terms of both personnel and gameplan.
Yep, I'd agree with that. I just don't agree with Fadge's assessment that you are a 12 goal better side than a couple of years ago. I don't think that there is such a massive gulf between the 2 Geelong sides

Hardwick only stating facts, pretty boring really. Cats have actually beaten us twice in finals. Ever. Happens about every 65 years or so. Next occurance expected around 2060. Fortunately I will be deceased. 😁

Is that because you’ll come 9th for 2/3rds of those years avoid any cats finals losses.

I bet he has seen a lot more winning gf in his lifetime then you have lol. Jesus the salt in this thread from Hardwick comments from cat supporters. You just won the flag after 11 years of failure in finals, enjoy it.
I’ve seen 4, so to have seen atleast one more they would have to be mid 50s, which I’m going to go out on a limb and say nahhh. Oh wow Geelong supporters commenting on a thread about them?

God Geelong supporters. You just win a premiership and this is what you chose to focus on?
Everyone knows you lot are utterly obsessed with Richmond, but FMD, this is a whole new level of triggered. It can't be healthy.
I’d love to see your post history post grand final wins after someone said something about Richmond.

Yep, I'd agree with that. I just don't agree with Fadge's assessment that you are a 12 goal better side than a couple of years ago. I don't think that there is such a massive gulf between the 2 Geelong sides
Different game style. Yeah players in new roles. New players. Plenty of teams have improved out of sight on the back of 2-4 new players, new coaches and other minor changes which really shouldn’t make up a 8-15 goal difference but it happens.

Man the logic of some people is sub par.

We have beaten the dogs in our last 7 finals. Why? Because in all of those seasons we’ve been a far better side and in 5 of them we’ve made the grand final.

What preserves that record?

Well for starters we avoided them in 2016 when they went on a tear and won 4 finals on the bounce.

We also avoided them last year when they threatened to do the same thing right up until half time in the decider.

It doesn’t magically mean ‘we always win when it counts.’ It just means that we’ve been higher up the pecking order of form and quality when we’ve met

I’d love to see your post history post grand final wins after someone said something about Richmond.
Richmonds premierships caused the biggest meltdowns in VFL/AFL history. I did plenty of trolling of salty bad sports and sore losers, with wonderfully productive results. Geelong and West Coast supporters were the best. Completely head f***ed by Richmond's success :D

Now it seems very important to Geelong supporters that Richmond supporters be bitter about your success. On the contrary, I think Geelong and more recently Richmond are the best managed of the Victorian clubs, and I hope Richmond can emulate Geelong's very long standing and consistent competitiveness. I admire Geelong. You lot seem stung by Richmond.

Fondest memories of the Tiggies years back now (haven't won a single final in over two seasons) were the tantrums upon tantrums of people 'not respecting' the Tiggies even after a bit of success. The Joel lovefest the past week is opening up all wounds I fear. :sadv1:

Richmonds premierships caused the biggest meltdowns in VFL/AFL history. I did plenty of trolling of salty bad sports and sore losers, with wonderfully productive results. Geelong and West Coast supporters were the best. Completely head f***ed by Richmond's success :D

Now it seems very important to Geelong supporters that Richmond supporters be bitter about your success. On the contrary, I think Geelong and more recently Richmond are the best managed of the Victorian clubs, and I hope Richmond can emulate Geelong's very long standing and consistent competitiveness. I admire Geelong. You lot seem stung by Richmond.

Here’s what it is, in a nutshell. Like most people, I would say Cats fans even after being beaten in the 2017 QF were on the tigers bandwagon in the grand final. I know I was. Even when we lost to you in the 2019 prelim I wasn’t fussed. We lost to a better side.

That’s when this ‘head*ed’ and ‘rent free’ bullshit started.

Few if any regularly posting Tigers fans seemed capable of understanding the logistics of what it meant to have a mental hold over an opponent and started with this ‘we always beat you when it counts’ crap. If it was just friendly jibing it wouldn’t have made a dent. But it seemed like there was this genuine belief that if the tigers had retrospectively snuck into the business end of say, 2007-2016 when we were winning flags and making prelims for fun, they would have beaten us.

They wouldn’t have. Simple as that. Why? Because they were ordinary. That changed as of 2017 because suddenly you weren’t ordinary anymore: you were a very good side.

I would be very very surprised if any side in modern professional football is ever beaten by the jersey they come up against.

We didn’t lose to Hawthorn in 2008 because they’re Hawthorn: we lost because we played a poor game and Hawthorn were well coached, up for the fight, and unafraid. We didn’t beat them in the next 9 games or whatever it was because of something Jeff Kennett said, we beat them because for the next 5 seasons we won 2 flags, made two prelims, and finished fifth in the other season and were still an ageing but damn good side.

For decades before 2017 we flogged Richmond like they owed us money. It wasn’t because we were their bogey side, it was because for much of that period Richmond were awful and we were good, and when Richmond were occasionally good we were usually better, and when we were struggling Richmond were usually struggling more.

Winning a few finals when the wheel turns doesn’t erase that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back