News Damien Hardwick to take an extended holiday break

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
stack and CJJ back at PRO early December, remainder of group beginning January, first game vs blues 18th March.
Surely not 18th March?
We'll be pretty light on starting in January! Not a heap of time for those that need it to do the hard running and conditioning work (unless they are all doing it now in their own time).

Nov 11, 2010
Punt Rd End
AFL Club
Richmond
I'm really worried about Leppa moving on. I feel that, in some ways, Dimma and Leppa were a strong team that complimented each other. It was Leppa who educated our backmen on their bodywork and teamwork. It was Leppa who convinced Dimma to play a small forwardline in 2017, when none of our second talls were standing up yet we had a plethora of talented smalls.

Dimma would feel safe when Leppa challenged him. When Leppa left to coach Brisbane and both he and Dimma were on thin ice in 2016, they had an agreement that if one of them kept their job but the other lost theirs, they would hire them as an assistant. Leppa returned back to Dimma's side with new ideas and confidence. Leppa was also completely loyal. After freshly losing a head coaching job, Dimma also knew that Leppa was not after his job. Now Dimma has lost that unconditional support.

I'm sure Dimma will still be able to discuss tactics, issues and ideas with Leppa even if he is no longer at the club. I'm certain Kingsley will step up now. He was the architect of our astounding turnaround at clearances so I have faith that he will step up but Leppa will be a loss whatever way you look at it.

The soft cap changes will be a challenge for every club. Dimma will continue to put on a coaching master class but the clubs needs to ensure he continues to have the support around him to succeed.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
We all love Leppa and he will always be welcome at Richmond if he decides to come back to football coaching but the current Richmond coaches are an experienced outfit and have got a good handle on things . The coach that will be missed by the players is fly macrae. The bloke is a gun and a very very smart coach. cannot believe he has not been appointed as senior coach by now

Vassp

Premiership Player
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
I'm really worried about Leppa moving on. I feel that, in some ways, Dimma and Leppa were a strong team that complimented each other. It was Leppa who educated our backmen on their bodywork and teamwork. It was Leppa who convinced Dimma to play a small forwardline in 2017, when none of our second talls were standing up yet we had a plethora of talented smalls.

Dimma would feel safe when Leppa challenged him. When Leppa left to coach Brisbane and both he and Dimma were on thin ice in 2016, they had an agreement that if one of them kept their job but the other lost theirs, they would hire them as an assistant. Leppa returned back to Dimma's side with new ideas and confidence. Leppa was also completely loyal. After freshly losing a head coaching job, Dimma also knew that Leppa was not after his job. Now Dimma has lost that unconditional support.

I'm sure Dimma will still be able to discuss tactics, issues and ideas with Leppa even if he is no longer at the club. I'm certain Kingsley will step up now. He was the architect of our astounding turnaround at clearances so I have faith that he will step up but Leppa will be a loss whatever way you look at it.

The soft cap changes will be a challenge for every club. Dimma will continue to put on a coaching master class but the clubs needs to ensure he continues to have the support around him to succeed.
the seeds of winning are already in place, the juniors just follow our seniors....rinse and repeat till they get it .

Andyy

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond

I would have felt this way 3 years ago, but to be honest I think the team/senior players are experienced enough now to do a lot of their own coaching with the younger kids. I think that's what happens later in any dynasty - it becomes a bit more self-perpetuating.

Nov 11, 2010
Punt Rd End
AFL Club
Richmond
Dimma is an amazing coach that has continually focused on self improvement and remaining open to change. There is no doubt that he is better coach now than when he first began and the growth he made as a person, and in response we as a club, after 2016 has been testament to that.

Where I am concerned is what the soft cap will do to coaches. I heard Longmire interviewed this morning and he confirmed many of my suspicions. He stated that he has had to get rid of multiple coaches and reduce the time fraction of others. He said that the jobs/work these coaches were doing won't disappear but instead be just added to the workload of those coaches remaining.

To me that signals either burnout or inadequacy. Dimma stated that at the end of 2016, he learned to trust those below him and delegate responsibility. He was trying to do to much and trying to control to many. Without the help, I fear he may need to revert to this once again.

There has been challenge after challenge thrown at the club over the last few years - rule changes to curb our game plan, changes in coaches and players and now cuts in list size and soft cap spending. Dimma has been proven to successfully adapt and evolve to suit any challenge.

The biggest drop off in roles is the welfare - the very area that drives our culture. I don't think the AFL truly understands what these cuts will do. They are thinking money rather than people. A large part of what allows Dimma to be a great coach, is the support around him. Dimma is a great coach because of the buy in from his coaches, the admin and then the players.

I hope Dimma can get the balance right. Perhaps senior players to step up to be more onfield and development coaches for the squad. I hope so but regardless, having a break over the summer is exactly what he needs and what he deserves. I'm sure he'll have the boys ready for another flag tilt nest season.

Surely not 18th March?
We'll be pretty light on starting in January! Not a heap of time for those that need it to do the hard running and conditioning work (unless they are all doing it now in their own time).

Inevitable consequence of the late finish this year...Players still want/need their break, so it's going to be a very short pre season.

Also concern about something similar happening this year will mean they'll restart as soon as they can.

The worst effected will be the new recruits. They wont be starting as ready as usual due to last year, will have little time to learn how the clubs operate, get AFL standard of fitness and will be doing all that with a reduced development/support team. Expect to see very few of them (probably none) getting playing time this year.

Dimma is an amazing coach that has continually focused on self improvement and remaining open to change. There is no doubt that he is better coach now than when he first began and the growth he made as a person, and in response we as a club, after 2016 has been testament to that.

Where I am concerned is what the soft cap will do to coaches. I heard Longmire interviewed this morning and he confirmed many of my suspicions. He stated that he has had to get rid of multiple coaches and reduce the time fraction of others. He said that the jobs/work these coaches were doing won't disappear but instead be just added to the workload of those coaches remaining.

To me that signals either burnout or inadequacy. Dimma stated that at the end of 2016, he learned to trust those below him and delegate responsibility. He was trying to do to much and trying to control to many. Without the help, I fear he may need to revert to this once again.

There has been challenge after challenge thrown at the club over the last few years - rule changes to curb our game plan, changes in coaches and players and now cuts in list size and soft cap spending. Dimma has been proven to successfully adapt and evolve to suit any challenge.

The biggest drop off in roles is the welfare - the very area that drives our culture. I don't think the AFL truly understands what these cuts will do. They are thinking money rather than people. A large part of what allows Dimma to be a great coach, is the support around him. Dimma is a great coach because of the buy in from his coaches, the admin and then the players.

I hope Dimma can get the balance right. Perhaps senior players to step up to be more onfield and development coaches for the squad. I hope so but regardless, having a break over the summer is exactly what he needs and what he deserves. I'm sure he'll have the boys ready for another flag tilt nest season.

Our culture is very heavily driven by self examination, players finding fault in themselves and others and working to improve on those areas.

A lot of how the coming year goes will depend on how much is driven by the coaches and other support staff, and how much comes from the players because clearly the players are going to need to step up here. The question is how big a step will be required.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Inevitable consequence of the late finish this year...Players still want/need their break, so it's going to be a very short pre season.

Also concern about something similar happening this year will mean they'll restart as soon as they can.

The worst effected will be the new recruits. They wont be starting as ready as usual due to last year, will have little time to learn how the clubs operate, get AFL standard of fitness and will be doing all that with a reduced development/support team. Expect to see very few of them (probably none) getting playing time this year.
Given where we are, I wouldnt see any of them playing in 2021. We are further ahead than that for first year kids to crack in. Youd expect they're behind half a dozen others who should be aiming to break in.

Given where we are, I wouldnt see any of them playing in 2021. We are further ahead than that for first year kids to crack in. Youd expect they're behind half a dozen others who should be aiming to break in.

On that matter, I was talking league-wide, and yes, that does put us in a fortunate position.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Richmond are in a very good position with the players we have at the club and the experience and leadership these players have

Riewoldt , Grimes , Astbury , Houli , Cotchin , Martin , Edwards ,Lambert , Vlastuin , Lynch , Caddy , Prestia - Are all 10 year players (some nearly)

These players are old enough and have many many years of pre seasons and experience that they dont need alot of coaching and can provide the younger 1-4 year kids with the assistance needed.

Apr 6, 2005
La Côte d'Azur
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton FC
Richmond are in a very good position with the players we have at the club and the experience and leadership these players have

Riewoldt , Grimes , Astbury , Houli , Cotchin , Martin , Edwards ,Lambert , Vlastuin , Lynch , Caddy , Prestia - Are all 10 year players (some nearly)

These players are old enough and have many many years of pre seasons and experience that they dont need alot of coaching and can provide the younger 1-4 year kids with the assistance needed.
But unfortunately we are going to lose 5 of that first 7 in the next year or 2. And the other 2 not far behind. It's a golden age for us, but it will end.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets

They're great mentors for sure. They can't teach time on the track or in the gym though which is where most of the jumps are made in the off season.

Sounds like some of our players are getting a head start and working on that though, tbh I hope all the kids on the fringe like RCD, Stack, Ross, CCJ, Naish are busting their ass at the moment trying to improve to break in to the AFL Side.

Like other posters, I'm pretty sad to see Macrae and Leppa leave.

But I've been thinking that perhaps 2021 is a transition year. Some of our senior players might want to try their hand at coaching when they retire. Makes sense that they'd start taking some responsibility in 2021.

Very easy to see that for Riewoldt and Houli.

Not Important

never test the depth of water with both feet.
Oct 4, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond

this season was particularly draining on so many fronts. a decent break and - hopefully - less hub activity and he'll be fine. i'm sure brendan will ensure he's got the support he needs.

Back