Damien Hardwick

Remove this Banner Ad

The planets began to align about a month out from finals. Certain things conspired to help him to have the team in peak form for September, which is every coach's aim.

Look back to where he started from - absolute rock bottom, with the worst record of any coach in history at one point. Compromised drafts, trying to keep Cousins on the rails, keep Martin out of strife, selling home games to Cairns. Look up the 3-0-75 thread for perspective.

I mentioned that in A Tiger FB group I am in, Benny Gale's plan when he started. He may have got the dates slightly wrong when the goals would be achieved, but all and every one of them have been.

Massive congratulations to the entire club and fans. I love youse all.

Richmond went under the radar all year. Should have finished two games clear on top
There is merit in this, but we ended up needing those losses to learn what we needed to learn. In the end we never left the G in finals. It was set up perfectly.

The planets began to align about a month out from finals. Certain things conspired to help him to have the team in peak form for September, which is every coach's aim.

Look back to where he started from - absolute rock bottom, with the worst record of any coach in history at one point. Compromised drafts, trying to keep Cousins on the rails, keep Martin out of strife, selling home games to Cairns. Look up the 3-0-75 thread for perspective.
Every club has a plan. If it produces then it's genius, if it doesn't then it's not.

Adelaide were a game away from a genius plan too.

That is the sign of a well run club, not luck.
A well run club that finished 13th a year earlier?

Let's see how you handle success before handing around that title.

Last year the Western Bulldogs were call well run too. Twelve months later I'm not sure too many would be handing that compliment so readily.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A well run club that finished 13th a year earlier?

Let's see how you handle success before handing around that title.

Last year the Western Bulldogs were call well run too. Twelve months later I'm not sure too many would be handing that compliment so readily.
We were a much better team than 13th. Last year we had a heap of injuries and chose to get game time into our kids.

Paid off.

Wasnt it Wallets s**t season that got you that pick though?

3e2caef2915fa6083a14fedc15657084

We were a much better team than 13th. Last year we had a heap of injuries and chose to get game time into our kids.

Paid off.

Look just win the flag every year ok, then apparently he is a good coach... :p

He got lucky.

Let's see how he goes again when everything doesn't fall into place.
Ridiculous post, reckon your bitter because the aints can't manage to win a flag. Richmond have an afl flag now so do the doggies, aints have just the 1 vfl flag lol. :$

I'm starting to wish his mum would take his phone off him

Hahaha. You sad little boy. Take it all in little one. Saviour the win, You pathetic, sad excuse for a tiger you. You were one of the sooks complaining about him in every single thread. I had you on ignore with the other sooks as to not have to see your sulking and derailing every thread. Clean ignore slate today, all so I can enjoy the salty tears from you and your posse.

The real funny part being you probably thought you were displaying your supreme intellect and expert knowledge on afl coaching. Shame every one over 13 years old, ignored your childish tantrums. Hahahaha. Karma flog.

I suppose now you'll say he was a great coach the whole time. You and the other richmond coaching experts calling for his sacking every minute must be so pissed ATM. Hope this win really stings, and your reamed out arse never properly heals you pathetic little boy. Suck it up dip s**t. Go Dimma

I always felt he had it in him, well more accurately I always got the impression that Clarko rated him and I have full faith in the Master.

Probably hamstrung for the first 4-5 years of his tenure by the club's policy of aiming to just compete rather than aim to win a flag. Has always been a good man-manager but this year I think his matchday coaching went to another level. He clearly did his homework on the Crows whereas I don't think the Crows did their homework on the Tigers. Crows gave the impression that they were confident that they were the better team and that if they just did what they'd been doing all year it would get the job done. What they perhaps didn't fully appreciate is that in finals you go the extra mile to make sure you're set up specifically to counter your opposition on the day. I reckon Hardwick, like Clarkson, has an edge in that department.

For some examples, and I apologise for using Hawthorn examples but they are the team I watch the most closely, watch Hawthorn's wins this year against Sydney and Adelaide. We finished 13th and I think that was basically a fair representation of where we were at this year, but we beat probably the second and third best sides of the year in those matches. I believe that we were able to do that because Clarkson specifically devised plans for those specific opposition to win those matches. You can see as well in Geelong's win over Sydney in the SF and Richmond's GF win that the coaches of those sides had studied those matches.

That, I think, is a large part of why finals are really different to home and away matches. Coaches that understand that have had a lot more success in recent times. Regardless, I'm really happy to see Hardwick succeed. Always liked him and had a lot of time for him.

Hahaha. You sad little boy. Take it all in little one. Saviour the win, You pathetic, sad excuse for a tiger you. You were one of the sooks complaining about him in every single thread. I had you on ignore with the other sooks as to not have to see your sulking and derailing every thread. Clean ignore slate today, all so I can enjoy the salty tears from you and your posse.

The real funny part being you probably thought you were displaying your supreme intellect and expert knowledge on afl coaching. Shame every one over 13 years old, ignored your childish tantrums. Hahahaha. Karma flog.

I suppose now you'll say he was a great coach the whole time. You and the other richmond coaching experts calling for his sacking every minute must be so pissed ATM. Hope this win really stings, and your reamed out arse never properly heals you pathetic little boy. Suck it up dip s**t. Go Dimma

Your an idiot mate. Get back on your meds....twit

I honestly thought he was a coach that wasn't a great tactician but a master man manager and youth developer. Managed to get a side thereabouts but at key moments failed tactically. Was never going to win the flag by himself. Needed tacticians around him.

I thought if we were going to investbin youth though, Dimma would be the best choice. The players all love him.
Surround a head coach that the players love with some good tacticians and there's no reason you can't taste success.Too much weight is put into the ability of the head coach, it really is a team effort from the top to the bottom of the club in winning the premiership.

It seems pretty much all modern premiership sides have:
-Supportive/patient administrations
-Targeted recruiting/list management
-Collaborative coaching

Remove this Banner Ad

Back