Coach Damien Hardwick

Remove this Banner Ad

Been wondering about this recently. There are some elements of the Hardwick style that have been very persistent.

He was bloody determined to get three talls in forward line in the early seasons. Had to roll with Jack and the 7 dwarves, and the single ruck, in 2017. And here we are, with the preferred set-up of Lynch, Riewoldt, Astbury, Balta, Grimes, and two of Nank, Soldo and Chol. His always loved to play talls, even though his famous for playing small.

His always been red hot on the honest pressure forward. Aarts really reminds me of Jake King.

I need to go back and watch some more 2013/14/15 games to form a proper opinion. I seem to remember our ball movement being much more stagnant in those days, but its a long time ago. And I was probably 6 beers in before I started watching every game.
Until 2013 we were pretty attacking, and could score heavily. 2012 and 2013 were our highest scoring H&A seasons under Dimma, both years over 2100pts. The only year we've gotten close to that since was 2018, other than that we've been under 2k every year.
Generally we were pretty good defensively, but when things went wrong, they went horribly wrong, and we conceded goals quickly. We had Carlton on toast 3 times in 2013 only for them to storm back in all 3 and overrun us in 2. Collingwood kicked 8 goals in a quarter. Norf got us similarly.
In 2012 we missed finals on the back of countless close losses. Gold Coast kicked 2 in a minute. Petrie kicked 3 goals in no time to turn the game on us.

We overreacted to what was really just a young, inconsistent team, and 2014-16 we defended through controlling the ball. In 2015 our defence was super but we didn't really have the players for it and in 2016 it all obviously just collapsed. Then in the off season we changed from defending through our form of attack, to attacking through our form of defence, and the rest was history.

Been wondering about this recently. There are some elements of the Hardwick style that have been very persistent.

He was bloody determined to get three talls in forward line in the early seasons. Had to roll with Jack and the 7 dwarves, and the single ruck, in 2017. And here we are, with the preferred set-up of Lynch, Riewoldt, Astbury, Balta, Grimes, and two of Nank, Soldo and Chol. His always loved to play talls, even though his famous for playing small.

His always been red hot on the honest pressure forward. Aarts really reminds me of Jake King.

I need to go back and watch some more 2013/14/15 games to form a proper opinion. I seem to remember our ball movement being much more stagnant in those days, but its a long time ago. And I was probably 6 beers in before I started watching every game.

Dimma brought a lot of Clarkson's IP over from Hawthorn in 2010, which was the high possession high skill corridor gameplan that won them their flags. While it was gorgeous to watch and won us a few cracking games from 2011 to 2015, we got found out in finals because we didn't know how to handle pressure, and our skills just weren't quite good enough.

Until 2013 we were pretty attacking, and could score heavily. 2012 and 2013 were our highest scoring H&A seasons under Dimma, both years over 2100pts. The only year we've gotten close to that since was 2018, other than that we've been under 2k every year.
Generally we were pretty good defensively, but when things went wrong, they went horribly wrong, and we conceded goals quickly. We had Carlton on toast 3 times in 2013 only for them to storm back in all 3 and overrun us in 2. Collingwood kicked 8 goals in a quarter. Norf got us similarly.
In 2012 we missed finals on the back of countless close losses. Gold Coast kicked 2 in a minute. Petrie kicked 3 goals in no time to turn the game on us.

We overreacted to what was really just a young, inconsistent team, and 2014-16 we defended through controlling the ball. In 2015 our defence was super but we didn't really have the players for it and in 2016 it all obviously just collapsed. Then in the off season we changed from defending through our form of attack, to attacking through our form of defence, and the rest was history.

Outstanding post, except for the bolded bit. Bastard. Hiding a tiger snake under the Chistmas tree.

Do any of you see any traits in current players that remind you of how Dimma played?
I see the type of player that he places a high value on is very team oriented , prob similar to how he went about it , there’s far more to him than that , to be able to implement a game plan that is against the grain and get 100% buy in and then be successful is testament to just how astute he is , ess are example enough of just how difficult it is to transition a game style effectively

I see the type of player that he places a high value on is very team oriented , prob similar to how he went about it , there’s far more to him than that , to be able to implement a game plan that is against the grain and get 100% buy in and then be successful is testament to just how astute he is , ess are example enough of just how difficult it is to transition a game style effectively

I don’t know who came up with the current plan but it is poles apart from way we played a few years ago, where the startling thing was the near total lack of movement when one of our players had the ball; nowadays, when we have it, we race around like shoppers looking for the $49 television

Don’t think we overreacted as it’s proven that high offensive sides simply don’t W flags far less the style just don’t suit FINALS football , it’s remarkable how our game style turned 180deg and 4y on it’s become our trademark despite intro of rule changes that were designed to have an adverse effect on our game plan

Couldn’t find a more appropriate thread for this. I normally don’t like to focus on private lives, but thought this was worth posting.

You can only admire Danielle Hardwick for being so dignified in public when it must be very tempting to vent her spleen about the separation.

Good form lass.

I hope things turn out really well for Danielle. Probably one of a number of key people who had they not performed their role well, our success does not happen.

Feel for her, but I don't think It's a conversation that we want to have again.
May be in the minority here but just my opinion
Yeh agreed, sorry for her situation which would be tough on anyone.

Given Dimma's importance to our club, we need him fresh and content with life and not this continuing to play out in the media. Time to move on, the club needs it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I might be in the minority but it’s a private situation. It should stay private and out of the media

I am all for keeping things private but to me Ms H has done herself, the club, and Damien a good service by giving plain, dignified and believable and well timed answers to questions about her situation. Many people will have been wondering about her. I found the piece somewhat reassuring having been through a contested divorce. Not something you want your senior coach subjected to whilst in the position.

Hope Dimma and Alex didn't buy near Benny Gale's old place.
Remember when Benny's house auction in Elwood was publicised in the media and then he said the property was broken into.
Anyway, Danni is using the publicity of the divorce to promote her art business, that is the point of the article.
Does the average person in the street really care about her stoking the embers of the divorce?
Don't think so.
Zero news value in my book.
She is using the publicity of the faded divorce as leverage for her own business.

Last edited:
Hope Dimma and Alex didn't buy near Benny Gale's old place.
Remember when Benny's house auction in Elwood was publicised in the media and then he said the property was broken into.
Anyway, Danni is using the publicity of the divorce to promote her art business, that is the point of the article.
Does the average person in the street really care about her stoking the embers of the divorce?
Don't think so.
Zero news value in my book.
She is using the publicity of the faded divorce as leverage for her own business.

It doesn’t say anything about her business in the article.

There's always two sides to the story.

No, there is three sides - each party and the truth, which lays somewhere in the middle.

I'm with you Meteoric Rise, Danielle Hardwick has been extraordinarily dignified and measured, publicly at least - has every reason I'm sure to be a little less so. Hope she finds a better happiness!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back