Portfolio Damo's work of 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Next project.

NRL Expansion, Conference system.

Scenario;

In 2020 the NRL has expanded out to a twenty team competition. To accommodate this growth the league has split itself into two conferences, the Platinum and Gold.

These conferences are not based on form or geography, but can have been designed to be flexible in nature. A two "Biannual Window of Review" was decided on as way of both measuring the success and removing disparities in the system.

Clubs would play every team in their conference twice, with a midyear gap for Origin.

The finals would see the top five of Gold conference e play the top five of Platinum, the winning team of the top of the table clash earning a week off, the loser having to play again.

Gold Conference

West Coast Pirates

the Pirates league bid is a perfect design. It's a classic look for league, and it uses the state colours tastefully and cleanly. The red is a nice homage to the old western reds.

Wests Tigers
I feel like the Tigers have finally, FINALLY hit on the perfect design template.

Adelaide Rams
The Rams are back and in a less 90's looking kit. logo not my original work, citation needed.

Brisbane Bombers
I'm conflicted on with this one, because I love the design, the colours etc, but the name and bid location are only important because they seem like the most likely expansion in real life.

Canberra Raiders

I very much think that the key to a good raiders kit is simplicity. Let the green do all the work, the rest should just be trimming.

St George Illawarra

The Dragons have THE, BEST sponsorship marriage in Australian sports. which is why I don't think it matters that it cuts across the V

Manly Warringah

Manly has had too many iterations of maroon and white, and I have no idea why, especially when they had the perfect design in the 00's

Gold Coast Titans
Another team that just needs to accept it has a great colour scheme, pick a working template, and ******* stick with it.

Newcastle Knights

there's really nothing I can do to improve on the Knights kit. I did try something a bit different with the away, moving away from the typical white away kits they've used.

Parramatta Eels

I like the old school parra kits, with the stripes and colour blocking.

Last edited:
Platinum Conference

Brisbane Broncos

Seriously, it's so frustrating as a broncos fan watching the club try and fail time and again to get back to the classic kits of the 90's.

Canterbury Bankstown

The Bulldogs are one of the few clubs to constantly get their look right time and time again.

Central Coast Bears

The Bears are back, and their based on the central coast.

North Queensland Cowboys

Just like the Broncos, the Cowboys had, then lost, the winning formula. Lets get back to the mostly white days, and bring grey back into vogue while we're at it.

Melbourne Storm

I wish I could take credit for this design but I can't. I saw something similar online (i've never been able to find it again) but i live the simplicity, and the way it marries the blue purple and yellow unlike alot of storm kits.

South Sydney

Like the Knights, there's not much more one can do with the Rabbits kit.

New Zealand Knights

I've always been really keen to bring back the old blue red and green kit of the old Auckland mob.

Penrith Panthers

I'm not completely in love with the home kit, I will probably change it later, but I LOVE the away, bringing back the chocolate soldiers.

Sydney Roosters.

The Chooks are fine. Absolutely fine.

Cronulla Sutherland Sharks

Last edited:
Gold Conference

West Coast Pirates

the Pirates league bid is a perfect design. It's a classic look for league, and it uses the state colours tastefully and cleanly. The red is a nice homage to the old western reds.

Wests Tigers
I feel like the Tigers have finally, FINALLY hit on the perfect design template.

Adelaide Rams
The Rams are back and in a less 90's looking kit. logo not my original work, citation needed.

Brisbane Bombers
I'm conflicted on with this one, because I love the design, the colours etc, but the name and bid location are only important because they seem like the most likely expansion in real life.

Canberra Raiders

I very much think that the key to a good raiders kit is simplicity. Let the green do all the work, the rest should just be trimming.

St George Illawarra

The Dragons have THE, BEST sponsorship marriage in Australian sports. which is why I don't think it matters that it cuts across the V

Manly Warringah

Manly has had too many iterations of maroon and white, and I have no idea why, especially when they had the perfect design in the 00's

Gold Coast Titans
Another team that just needs to accept it has a great colour scheme, pick a working template, and ******* stick with it.

Newcastle Knights

there's really nothing I can do to improve on the Knights kit. I did try something a bit different with the away, moving away from the typical white away kits they've used.

Parramatta Eels

I like the old school parra kits, with the stripes and colour blocking.

I'm triggered by the Bombers, Ipswich'll win the license.

For my next work, I've tried to step it up a bit with my formatting and presentation.

Rugby League 2017 World Cup kits.

Australia

England

Fiji

France

Ireland

Italy

Lebanon

New Zealand

PNG

Samoa

Scotland

Tonga

USA

Wales

Continuing the Rugby trip, I've 'fixed' the Australian Super Rugby conference.

Waratahs

Reds

Brumbies

Sunwolves

and, the kicker, Melbourne Force.

South Sydney

Like the Knights, there's not much more one can do with the Rabbits kit.

Interestingly you went with the white (away) sidepanels instead of black and even hoops. South's jersey has a much thicker Myrtle hoop than the Cardinal, around 2:1.

Still really good work though _Damo_ and FWIW I've always preferred the white sidepanels over the black.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OK. Here's a real labor of love. This set has taken me WEEKS, maybe even months now.

SANFL as the National Comp.

Imagine an alternate timeline where, rather then finding copper in Burra, prospectors found gold. The ensuing gold rush left South Australia the most populated southern state.

During the late 1800's and early 1900's the states growing population developed a love of a little known aboriginal game called Marngrook. after years of growth and development the game evolved in Australian Rules Football.

The South Australian Football league of (SAFA) grew out of this love and by the 1970's the league had become the premier sporting competition in the southern states.

in the 1980's, the league announced it would grow to incorporate a the rest of the country, inviting the best clubs from the WAFL and VFL to join them. The also announced, in a rather forward thinking and strategic move, that special consideration would go to teams from regional areas.

In 1987, the league re branded to become the South Australian National Football League or SANFL.

In 2017, the league celebrated it's 30th birthday in style, declaring it would, for the first time, enforce a set of novelty rounds, including a Heritage, Rivalry, and Indigenous round, each having their own particular theme. The Indigenous round's theme was "People, place and community," rivalry round was "traditional," and the Heritage round focused on the 70's.

OK. Here's a real labor of love. This set has taken me WEEKS, maybe even months now.

SANFL as the National Comp.

Imagine an alternate timeline where, rather then finding copper in Burra, prospectors found gold. The ensuing gold rush left South Australia the most populated southern state.

During the late 1800's and early 1900's the states growing population developed a love of a little known aboriginal game called Marngrook. after years of growth and development the game evolved in Australian Rules Football.

The South Australian Football league of (SAFA) grew out of this love and by the 1970's the league had become the premier sporting competition in the southern states.

in the 1980's, the league announced it would grow to incorporate a the rest of the country, inviting the best clubs from the WAFL and VFL to join them. The also announced, in a rather forward thinking and strategic move, that special consideration would go to teams from regional areas.

In 1987, the league re branded to become the South Australian National Football League or SANFL.

In 2017, the league celebrated it's 30th birthday in style, declaring it would, for the first time, enforce a set of novelty rounds, including a Heritage, Rivalry, and Indigenous round, each having their own particular theme. The Indigenous round's theme was "People, place and community," rivalry round was "traditional," and the Heritage round focused on the 70's.
This sounds so cool! should make it into a comp or something like that.

First sets include home, away, and indigenous. PLease know that, in regard to all my indigenous work, that I am NOT aboriginal, nor do i make any claims that my work is traditional. I merely work to create something that pays tribute to indigenous art styles and the stories they tell.

The Roosters Indigenous jumper details the various art styles across Australia.

The Bloods took inspiration from the people and art of the Tiwi Islands, using a "comb" patterning.

The Eagles Indigenous pays homage to the two rivers which help border and define their catchment, the Port and the Torrens.

South Adelaide took inspiration from the Ngarrindjeri of the states south. The jumper tells the story of fishing in the blue waters of the Coorong.

Port Adelaide's indigenous jumper takes inspiration from several creation stories across the country. It hows many meeting places in the back ground, telling a story of community behind similar beliefs.

Despite the success of the SANFL, some clubs did struggle in the face of increased commercialization. Sturt was one such club, and eventually merged with close neighbour, Norwood. Their jumper shows a strong, growing tree, in keeping with the leafy green suburbs of Adelaide's south east, the leaves of which are the hands prints of the indigenous players at the club.

Central Districts invoked a warrior spirit in their jumper, inspired by the hardworking men and women of their community who need to fight and rise above the odds to succeed. NB yes, this is a rip off of the Adelaide 2017 kit.

Western Australia.

The Mariners are a direct merger between East and South Fremantle. Their Indigenous round jumper is made up of concentric fishing spears, used by coastal and river peoples.

East Perths flamboyant indigenous jumper depicts the rainbow serpent, a crucial creation story across many cultures.

Tasmania

Tassies Indigenous kit tells a sad story. It's main design feature is based on rock art from a time before European settlement. the black cuff is a permanent reminder of the atrocities committed during the early part of the century, including the infamous "black line."

Northern States

The territorials used traditional geometric designs and colours from Arnem land.

Brisbanes tells the story of two warrior groups meeting in the north, and combining as one people, after Fitzroy and the VFL's Brisbane Lions merged in 1996.

As apart of the SANFL's expansion policy, teams were given opportunities to relocate to regional areas in order to win a license in the new competition. After sitting out in the shadows throughout the 90's and early naughties, North Melbourne saw an opportunity to relocate to a less crowded market and move up into the big league, and in 2007 they moved to the Gold Coast becoming the Northern Kangaroos. Their Indigenous jumper has kangaroo tracks traveling between Arden Street and their new home of Metricon Stadium.

Sydney's jumper shows people traveling from their meeting places to a place near the crystal blue waters of the Sydney Harbor. It pays homage to South Melbourne, who moved north before the take over by the SANFL.

Victoria

The SANFL's premium on regional clubs was a boost for some and bust for others. It essentially limited the opportunities for most VFL sides, and all but cemented a place for Geelong.
Others were brave and put forward their best case for entry, but some old firm favourites had to be content in staying in a state based comp.

When one thinks regional footy in Victoria, they almost certainly think of Geelong. The club enjoyed unique status and fan retention based in down the highway, and their indigenous jumper reflects this. It depicts a solo set of foot prints standing on the shore as the weather changes rapidly behind them. It tells the story of the club, standing out alone by the bay, under all weather, standing strong.

The Bulldogs were a club perfectly poised to make a big leap into the unknown. penny-less and desperate in the mid nineties, the club was extended the most unlikely of courtesies by the SANFL, on the condition they relocate to Ballarat's Eureka stadium. Their indigenous jumper is simultaneously an adapted Eureka Star and a meeting place, a metaphor for the stadium itself.

The Melbourne Hawks were an unpopular, short sighted and desperate bid to get football back into the heart of Melbourne. After watching Geelong play in the SANFL since it's inception, and then the Bulldogs following suit in 1996, the VFL announced they would push for two license spots in the competition, and would insist on two teams in Melbourne.

The bidding process become ugly immediately. The old big four of Essendon, Carlton, Collingwood and Hawthorn went to war proving their credentials, and with no merger or prospect of a representative side on the table, the SANFL had to come to the table and lay down some criteria for the clubs to work towards.

Perhaps the most crucial of these was access to the famous MCG. While Essendon felt they may be able to strike a deal with the venue management, the hawks managed to steal the initiative and strike a deal with the venues most famous inhabitants in the Demons. The Melbourne Hawks won the day leaving more famous and more successful clubs out of the loop.

The indigenous jumper shows many people with many colours (reflecting the mismatch of colour schemes of the hawks and demons fans) meeting together at the MCG.

After the Melbourne Hawks entered the SANFL the VFL were even more determined to get one of their flag ship clubs into the competition. Carlton were considered front runners, and had the premiership record to back their claim. But it was Collingwood who managed to secure better sponsorship deals, assemble a powerful and prolific coaching and management team, and, crucially, managed to secure a deal with the MCG board and ultimately prove to the SANFL they would be the better performing club.

However, their transition was not as smooth as the club anticipated. They were initially barred form using the magpie moniker and black and white striped jumpers. After fierce negotiations the SANFL backdown and let them use the Magpies name, but only in the context of the "Collingwood Magpies." this led to a strange situation where no one associated with the club was allowed to refer to them as simply "The Magpies." This led to most refering to the club simply as Collingwood, or Collingwood Football Club. They were also only allowed to wear black and white but not as a set of stripes.

their earliest jumpers were a mess of 90's design tropes.

it wasn't until 2007 when the club were brave enough to experiment with stripes and the black and white. A new black and grey striped jumper became immediately popular with young fans, and an away jumper bearing a swooping magpies immediately began pushing the boundaries.

the away jumper became so popular that the club used it as their template for an indigenous jumper, which shows the magpie soaring over all cultures, who are represented in their art styles

This has been a long time coming.

It's taken me months, bare in mind I've been working on other projects.

Full AFL club kits. AFL home, away, reserves, womens. All clubs reserves use away senior away jumpers if there's a clash.

The conceit with Fremantle's reserves jumper is that they essentially swallowed Peel Thunder into their club, but kept their colours to appease fans.

The idea here is that North Melbourne has based their reserves team out of Ballarat.

like Freo, WC swallowed their WAFL affiliate, keeping their colours in the reserves.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back