AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Alot of Victorians wish they could be working, Dan won't let them
eGK9NsI.gif

Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Bit hard when most of the state has been out of work since March due to incompetence.
Most of the state?

Not doubting the scale of the issue, but I've been working my arse off the whole time.

I only know three people directly who aren't working. One has just gone back, one is a barrister so isn't devastated, and the other is a pilot so he's screwed. Every other person I know has worked through.

The coffe shops are as busy as usual down the street. Schools and music lessons have continued, and every tradie we've had over has said they've been busier than before.

I clearly live in a bubble of sorts, but my daily life just doesn't seem to align with what I read on news.com.au every day.

As I said, not doubting there's a huge issue here - but what is the actual scale of it? It's not 'most of Victoria' is it?

Most of the state?

Not doubting the scale of the issue, but I've been working my arse off the whole time.

I only know three people directly who aren't working. One has just gone back, one is a barrister so isn't devastated, and the other is a pilot so he's screwed. Every other person I know has worked through.

The coffe shops are as busy as usual down the street. Schools and music lessons have continued, and every tradie we've had over has said they've been busier than before.

I clearly live in a bubble of sorts, but my daily life just doesn't seem to align with what I read on news.com.au every day.

As I said, not doubting there's a huge issue here - but what is the actual scale of it? It's not 'most of Victoria' is it?

PWC modelling suggests the true cost to the Victorian economy may be over $100 Billion.

You must live in a bubble if you don't see the impact of shops, pubs and restaurants being closed. And don't be fooled by cafes continuing to serve coffee. That is chicken feed and barely pays the bills.

80+ shops in Chapel Street have closed for good. Chapel St was once the shining light of strip shopping. There are similar stories in Sydney Road, and other strips. 20+ shops have closed in Sorrento

When JobKeeper finishes heaven help this state...

Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast
PWC modelling suggests the true cost to the Victorian economy may be over $100 Billion.

You must live in a bubble if you don't see the impact of shops, pubs and restaurants being closed. And don't be fooled by cafes continuing to serve coffee. That is chicken feed and barely pays the bills.

80+ shops in Chapel Street have closed for good. Chapel St was once the shining light of strip shopping. There are similar stories in Sydney Road, and other strips. 20+ shops have closed in Sorrento

The dollar amount isn't the question. The economic impact globally will be enormous.

It's the comment about most of the state being out of work. Clearly pubs, travel and some hospitality places are screwed. Travel is rooted regardless of Victoria though.

The cafe owner up the street reckons she's doing fine. Coffee hasn't changed she told me, but food is down quite a bit.

Obviously cafes in non-residential areas are ****ed though.

Chapel St hasn't been a shining light for years. Retail shopping was cactus before COVID arrived. Clearly it hasn't helped their cause, but it was in bad shape before.

I've been lucky (touch wood), and clearly so has almost everyone I am in contact with - but I'm aware heaps aren't.

Just wondering if there are some actual facts around the impact currently, as opposed to the political narratives that I keep seeing thrown around at the moment.

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
But let’s face it what did we know about Andrews before the 2014 election? I thought he was middle eastern and had changed his name by deed poll. Fact is most governments are voted out, not the opposition voted in

Thats is true, but the swing needed by the LNP is gigantic. And right now (although they do have two years) they do not present as a credible alternative government.

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
The dollar amount isn't the question. The economic impact globally will be enormous.

It's the comment about most of the state being out of work. Clearly pubs, travel and some hospitality places are screwed. Travel is rooted regardless of Victoria though.

The cafe owner up the street reckons she's doing fine. Coffee hasn't changed she told me, but food is down quite a bit.

Obviously cafes in non-residential areas are f’ed though.

Chapel St hasn't been a shining light for years. Retail shopping was cactus before COVID arrived. Clearly it hasn't helped their cause, but it was in bad shape before.

I've been lucky (touch wood), and clearly so has almost everyone I am in contact with - but I'm aware heaps aren't.

Just wondering if there are some actual facts around the impact currently, as opposed to the political narratives that I keep seeing thrown around at the moment.

I would be interested to see the actual impact too. Some industries are stuffed absolutely, but big business continues.

BringOn2017

Cancelled
Apr 27, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
I wonder if the people who believe in s**t like this take pause and think about the lies they so easily believe after this proves to be some made up internet talk...? Or do they just believe the new disinformation story that will come

Iv never voted for Andrews and his government has made obvious mistakes, but the hysteria around him is pretty sad.

We are one of the few places in the world that has beaten back the virus. For that, he has done a great job.

I watch a bit of Sky News, the theme they are trying hard for is Trump is doing a great job (250,000 dead) and Dan Andrews and the NZ premier have failed and deserve to go. Commie dictators basically.

They obviously aren't judging it on the handling of the Pandemic, but rather who was ideologically more similar to themselves.

Thats is true, but the swing needed by the LNP is gigantic. And right now (although they do have two years) they do not present as a credible alternative government.
Agree that the Opposition is lame. They need to find someone palatable to the masses and quickly. There is no one in the current Parliament who matches that bill. Maybe Georgie Crozier but she's in the wrong house. I thought for a while that Sally Capp might be a good candidate but I'm not sure which way she leans

Iv never voted for Andrews and his government has made obvious mistakes, but the hysteria around him is pretty sad.
He has himself and his spin doctors to blame 100% for the hysteria. We have been fed lies from Day 1 and they are continuing.

If Dan had come out and said "We made a mistake here with the hotel quarantine but we will do our darnedest to fix it" he and his government would have been forgiven. Instead he firstly blames us, the community, for spreading the virus until genomic testing proved unequivocally that it all came from hotel quarantine.

Then he called a judicial inquiry and refused to discuss anything about hotel quarantine because of the Inquiry even though Justice Coates said he could discuss the issues.

Then when the Inquiry was finally started one by one each minister and bureaucrat developed selective amnesia. We were expected to believe that nobody in particular made the decision to appoint private security over the ADF, that it "just happened".

Frankly I am fed up being treated by this premier like a little school kid

you havent been to chapel street in a while - its been on a downhill slide for years (which is why the council as recently as last year was working on plans to resurrect the street

covid didnt kill chapel. the shopping being b grade and overpriced, and the food being meh compared to south melbourne and richmond (which are moments away) killed chapel

chunkylover53

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2008
From Where You'd Rather Be
AFL Club
Carlton
you havent been to chapel street in a while - its been on a downhill slide for years (which is why the council as recently as last year was working on plans to resurrect the street

covid didnt kill chapel. the shopping being b grade and overpriced, and the food being meh compared to south melbourne and richmond (which are moments away) killed chapel
chapel needs to stick to bars, fast-dining restaurants and the odd nightclub. people don't come to chapel to shop, never have.

. 20+ shops have closed in Sorrento
Really? Sorrento is an absolute ghost down from post-Easter until November. If a business was banking their future on raking in cash over winter down there, then that was a poor business plan. Which shops? Are they permanently closed?

Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast
He has himself and his spin doctors to blame 100% for the hysteria. We have been fed lies from Day 1 and they are continuing.
I actually think the hysteria is manufactured.

Sure, people directly impacted have reason to be dirty about the whole COVID thing and it's reasonably natural to want to blame someone for it - but isn't the rest of the 'hysteria' just Murdoch doing his usual trying to get his Liberal puppets in power?

How many people are really hysterical?

I see MP Tim Smith out and about sipping on a latte with his mates, along with thousands of others on the weekend - then he goes online and acts like him and everyone else are chained to their beds and are rotting away in misery!

Last edited:
chapel needs to stick to bars, fast-dining restaurants and the odd nightclub. people don't come to chapel to shop, never have.

Really? Sorrento is an absolute ghost down from post-Easter until November. If a business was banking their future on raking in cash over winter down there, then that was a poor business plan. Which shops? Are they permanently closed?

fashion used to be good on chapel, in the 80's and 90's. but it went downmarket while trying to maintain premium pricing. has been trash for a decade. it could be another brunswick street (with a different vibe of course). carparking needs to be sorted, as traffic splitting the street is one of its major negs (compared to other street shopping areas)

the sorrento this is a ******* laugh. i used to go down there in winter and the place was a ghost town.

chunkylover53

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2008
From Where You'd Rather Be
AFL Club
Carlton
fashion used to be good on chapel, in the 80's and 90's. but it went downmarket while trying to maintain premium pricing. has been trash for a decade. it could be another brunswick street (with a different vibe of course). carparking needs to be sorted, as traffic splitting the street is one of its major negs (compared to other street shopping areas)

the sorrento this is a ******* laugh. i used to go down there in winter and the place was a ghost town.
I lived up Sth Yarra end as early last year, and my housemate and I used to count every month the new shops for lease when we'd walk down chapel on the weekends. I think at one stage their were 17 vacant shops before entering the Prahran postcode.

And don't be fooled by cafes continuing to serve coffee. That is chicken feed and barely pays the bills.

And wha? Coffee is the money printer for cafe's. 80%-odd margin. If you are a cafe known for your coffee, covid has been gold. free labor, nobody taking up space/time eating food cooked by expensive chefs, simple business plan pumping out high-volume, high-margin product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back