Dan Butler - The one that got away

Remove this Banner Ad

To me what is really helping Butler as well as the rest of the forwards is how much attention Max King is receiving being double and triple teamed. I think it's ludicrous that a guy with just 4 games experience is commanding such respect from the opposition. On top of that King is rarely outmarked bringing the ball to ground every time.

Anyways to Butler he has a good footy I.Q that much is apparent but more importantly the skills to execute. I thought he specifically requested to be traded to St Kilda to answer some of the above which is why no other clubs came knocking? Tell me if i am incorrect.

I thought he specifically requested to be traded to St Kilda to answer some of the above which is why no other clubs came knocking? Tell me if i am incorrect.
Carlton, Hawks and the Saints were reportedly the teams in the frame. Carlton cooled their interest as they were in pursuit of the services of Papley and Martin, getting the latter.

Have a look at the Dan Butler trade thread and his perceived value from opposition clubs. Its not like we were talking about a 23 year old Dustin Martin on the trade block, Butts at best probably gets us a second rounder. When players are wanting out for opportunity and are out of contract if I recall, and are not best 22, they go for peanuts. That's just how it works.

Very often players that switch have a second wind and breathe new life in to their career. The challenge for Butts is not 2020, its whether he can continue to work hard in the years beyond, thats something he wasn't quite prepared to do at the Tigers after 2017, but maybe a new club and being on the outer was enough for him to have learnt that lesson. If so, the Saints are the club that benefit from it. So its a win for them.

Saw the thread title and thought this was having a dig at Carltons recruiting.

Butler was well and truly hoping to play for the Blues before SOS came and and squashed that dream. The Saints made a canny call late when no other clubs showed interest. Ellis is also proving many haters wrong up in GC. They chose to invest in Newnes instead.

This comes as no surprise to Richmond supporters though. We know these players have talent. It was the rest of Bigfooty who thought we won in 17 on the back of 4 guns and 18 triers. Playing for other clubs has just shown the talent we had at that time which is a great thing for our premiership legacy.

Yeah nah if you saw him in 2018 and especially in 2019 you would realise why we let him go.
I'm rapt for him that he has once again pulled his finger out. Playing really well kudos to Butts but i honestly don't think anyone is losing sleep over it.

Playing in a flag as a kid doesnt make you a 100 gamer .... lots of life members didnt play 100 games :'(

Dan Butler was always capable of doing what he's done this season (as seen in 2017), but he was in a position that is stacked at the Richmond FC. Where as at St. Kilda he's found himself a spot and allowed Gresham to move more into the midfield.

Good for St. Kilda, Good for Butler.... I'm happy for him (even though he cost us yesterday)

Saw the thread title and thought this was having a dig at Carltons recruiting.

Butler was well and truly hoping to play for the Blues before SOS came and and squashed that dream. The Saints made a canny call late when no other clubs showed interest. Ellis is also proving many haters wrong up in GC. They chose to invest in Newnes instead.

This comes as no surprise to Richmond supporters though. We know these players have talent. It was the rest of Bigfooty who thought we won in 17 on the back of 4 guns and 18 triers. Playing for other clubs has just shown the talent we had at that time which is a great thing for our premiership legacy.

Yep. SOS made a massive error going for Papley instead, not sure why we went so hard for him.

Playing in a flag as a kid doesnt make you a 100 gamer .... lots of life members didnt play 100 games :'(

Spot on don't disagree with that.
On another note im still surprised the blues didn't get him they had the opportunity first but i guess they spent all their tickets trying to get papley and already had Betts but he's 33.

I'm happy for B Ellis, Lloyd at the Dogs, Towner, Butler, Conca etc all ex tigers continuing on their careers at other clubs.

Butler and Ellis were there and wanting to play for the Blues. Would have got both for nothing. Nothing wrong with going for Papley as well. In the end they got none of the three.

We didn’t want 2 of them. Butler isn’t a Carlton recruiting issue.

Spot on don't disagree with that.
On another note im still surprised the blues didn't get him they had the opportunity first but i guess they spent all their tickets trying to get papley and already had Betts but he's 33.

I'm happy for B Ellis, Lloyd at the Dogs, Towner, Butler, Conca etc all ex tigers continuing on their careers at other clubs.

:thumbsu:

My thinking exactly = always interesting to follow those leaving a strong list & trying their hand elsewhere. The Tiges are in the same boat as the Eagles were in the 90s - Matty Clape, Dean Laidley & Matt Connell played in the 95/96/97 & 98 flags. Jason Ball from the 94 flag winning side played in the Swans 05 flag - watching Woosha & Drew Banfield congratulating him is one of those bitter sweet moments of being a footy fan.

Its an example that serves our game well & something that is a big plus for the clubs involved.

Last edited:
To me what is really helping Butler as well as the rest of the forwards is how much attention Max King is receiving being double and triple teamed. I think it's ludicrous that a guy with just 4 games experience is commanding such respect from the opposition. On top of that King is rarely outmarked bringing the ball to ground every time.

Anyways to Butler he has a good footy I.Q that much is apparent but more importantly the skills to execute. I thought he specifically requested to be traded to St Kilda to answer some of the above which is why no other clubs came knocking? Tell me if i am incorrect.
His brother is absolutely the same. * they are guns at such a young age,

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's amazing what being up for trade does to a bloke's hunger for the game. He played in 2018 & 2019 like a bloke pretty content with what he'd achieved out of footy. Got himself a single digit number and had a medal to shine before he went to bed. I imagine he's had that comfort shaken up again and is training and playing more like he did pre-September 2017.

It's amazing what being up for trade does to a bloke's hunger for the game. He played in 2018 & 2019 like a bloke pretty content with what he'd achieved out of footy. Got himself a single digit number and had a medal to shine before he went to bed. I imagine he's had that comfort shaken up again and is training and playing more like he did pre-September 2017.

Clubs & individuals are 'cut some slack' with a flag, & its true as players hang on at the end of their career.

Reserves player left club for better opportunity.
Good luck to him but it's not like our club would be losing any sleep over it.

Sam Lloyd kicked more goals last year than quite a few Tigers small forwards but that doesn't mean it wasn't the wrong decision for him to move at the end of 2018.

Butler has played a few good games but he played a few good games at Richmond as well.

Last year, he was well down the queue for a small forward slot, he knew it, the club knew it, so he asked to move on and the club was happy to oblige.

Not sure if it's the kick up the butt, the confidence of having a regular spot again, or the energy of a fresh team/start, but he's back to playing the kind of football that would have had him best 22 at Richmond again.

To be honest though, he probably wouldn't have got back to this level if he'd stayed. Sometimes you just need that change.

I wish him, and St Kilda, well.

Wasn't a big wrap on him at Richmond and thought he was steak knives. Been a revelation to me. Don't know if he was always this good or has just come of age but right now he is the recruit that has changed the look of the Saints structure.

Has only just played around 50 games I think? Still a babe. Going to be a very good small forward for us.

I'll give you the answer.

Butler was pivotal to a new Richmond gameplay in 2017, his tackling and hitting the scoreboard with 30 goals for the year. Part of the crew with Castagna and Rioli that changed the way we played and gave us a flag.

Sometime over 2018 and 2019 however, Butler went Hollywood. His focus changed from doing the hard running at pace, tackling that he was known for, and he become lazy, wanting to get on the end of work rather than force the issue himself, and he wanted the flashy finishing stuff and not to do the hard yards.

Secondly, over 18/19 Richmond had an influx of decent small forwards who could all play that role. Higgins, Edwards, Stengle, Bolton, among others, these guys all started competing for small forward spots. Also, Martin started spending a lot more time forward, and the intro of Lynch meant that there was one less spot for smalls in 2019 as well.

The Tigers were strong over 18/19, and Butler struggled to crack into the side. It's not as if he couldn't crack into a bottom 4 side, the side he couldn't get into won the Grand Final by 89 points.

From that, Butler requested a trade for opportunity to a side he knew needed speed and some personnel change. No difference than what happens every year, and often a change of scenery can do them the world of good and give them the kick up the ass they need. Grigg or Houli anyone?

If he pulled his finger out and went back to working hard, he could always improve and play good footy. Good to see him doing that now. The club has to honour the trade request though when a guy can't get a game, I hope he succeeds.

So are you saying that you can categorically state that he wasn't told to be more offensive which took away from his defensive work? Because in the role he plays it's a pretty fine line and pretty impossible to gut run non stop for an entire game.

Can understand why the Tigers were happy to let him go and pleasantly surprised at how well he's gone for us.

Early days obviously, but has to be the recruit of the year in terms of what St Kilda paid for him (pick 56)?

Not only is he kicking goals, but his tackling (5 per game) and score involvements (6) are elite.

Considering pick #56 was eventually used by Richmond to draft St. Kilda NGA talent Bigoa Nyuon it seems like a fair trade. Bigoa is a raw tall talent-- but is the top of player Richmond needs long-term while Butler is a perfect fit for St. Kilda now and gets paid what he deserves as a small forward.

Considering pick #56 was eventually used by Richmond to draft St. Kilda NGA talent Bigoa Nyuon it seems like a fair trade. Bigoa is a raw tall talent-- but is the top of player Richmond needs long-term while Butler is a perfect fit for St. Kilda now and gets paid what he deserves as a small forward.
Hard to know how Biggie will turn out. He is very raw and the Saints did have to opportunity to match and chose not to.

Just looking at past drafts though, It's very unlikely a club ends up with a quality player with a pick in the mid 50's.

Hard to say the trade is not currently in the Saints favour, but that's usually just the way it falls when players leave for more opportunity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back