Traded Dan Butler [traded to St Kilda for #56]

Who won this trade?

• Richmond

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

We are not the only club that did this, Hawthorn did it to North with Jono Hay as well.

Are clubs actually obliged to disclose any off field issues/problems a player on the trade table has to other clubs? I don't think they should be tbh.

When it comes to a players mental health and drug addiction they probably should tbh.
If Carlton genuinely cared about him that's what it would have done. They would have made sure we knew everything so we could best help him through it.

Last edited:
We are not the only club that did this, Hawthorn did it to North with Jono Hay as well.

Are clubs actually obliged to disclose any off field issues/problems a player on the trade table has to other clubs? I don't think they should be tbh.

No they are not but if you remember the trade and how persistent on how sos was demanding a 1st round pick and the charade at the time with hindsight it doesnt look right. How would you feel if the roles were reversed

Would be very surprised Butler to Blues doesn't get done without too much fuss. Can be win-win-win for both clubs and player, and not likely to involve any asset that makes it a disaster for anyone.
Cant see how its a win for Richmond , We will get a nothing pick thats probably #60+
But suits Carlton for positional purpose and he is not a bad player but just been pushed out of the richmond team
hope he gets his career back on track and has a good career for the blues - Has talent and speed

Hes a premiership player and life member

Id rather give him cheaply to north or ess than blues. They piss me off that they always want to ‘win’ the trade.

Hes a premiership player and life member

Id rather give him cheaply to north or ess than blues. They piss me off that they always want to ‘win’ the trade.

Haha I understand why you may feel that way about Carlton after the Yarran trade (A former pick 6 mind you), but you've just brought up Essendon as a team you give the impression don't engage in the practice of trying to "win" trades. Adrian Dodoro lives and breathes the trade battle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking likely to end up at Carlton.
Obviously has ability but has gone off the boil/been surpassed by others in the last 12 months or so but he would be a valuable addition to Carltons f50 grouping regardless of interest in Papley as he'd provide the club with some much needed f50 pressure.
What would be a fair exchange to get him across?

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Looking likely to end up at Carlton.
Obviously has ability but has gone off the boil/been surpassed by others in the last 12 months or so but he would be a valuable addition to Carltons f50 grouping regardless of interest in Papley as he'd provide the club with some much needed f50 pressure.
What would be a fair exchange to get him across?

I would say just about a done deal as he has had a medical and toured the facility , Thinking pick #64 but hoping its pick #44

I would say just about a done deal as he has had a medical and toured the facility , Thinking pick #64 but hoping its pick #44
I'd been told as much, I'm just mindful of not rubbing ppl the wrong way by acting as it were already a done deal.
Cheers mate, that's not bad value at all then from the Blues perspective.

Well if thats the case and if the Hawks are his preferred club then its going to get really interesting with the hawks holding the following picks
It would have to be pick #45 or #28 o_O

I think he will get traded for closer to 82 than 28.

Not saying he's crap, but a 'surplus' small forward who is stuck in the 2nds, is behind a logjam of similar-ish players and is out of contract.

Isn't a huge goalkicker and not going to play meaningful midfield minutes.

Seems a solid citizen who will provide pressure but this feels like a token pick scenario (Sam Lloyd style).

I think Balme doesnt put up much fight and it gets done first day of trade period for a fourth rounder (third round at best). At which price its a good get for whichever team gets him.

Am I way off base here? Admittedly my hopes of Carlton getting him cheaply may be clouding my judgement.

I think he will get traded for closer to 82 than 28.

Not saying he's crap, but a 'surplus' small forward who is stuck in the 2nds, is behind a logjam of similar-ish players and is out of contract.

Isn't a huge goalkicker and not going to play meaningful midfield minutes.

Seems a solid citizen who will provide pressure but this feels like a token pick scenario (Sam Lloyd style).

I think Balme doesnt put up much fight and it gets done first day of trade period for a fourth rounder (third round at best). At which price its a good get for whichever team gets him.

Am I way off base here? Admittedly my hopes of Carlton getting him cheaply may be clouding my judgement.
Balme usually gets players to where they want to go but a pick in the 80's for a 22 year old premiership player with nearly 50 games would be just disrespectful imo , Last year we traded Lloyd to the doggies #64 and Stengle to crows #68 but they were not in the best 22 whilst Butler was in the team.

Butler will be let go cheaply (personally i think #64 to the blues but wouldnt surprise me if its the pick #44 (carlton) Pick #45 (hawks)
really depends on what else is happening and what we need but im thinking we wont use late picks and will only take 2 maybe 3 players at most in the draft
we will have #16/#18 + #20-#25 (ellis compo) #36 (our 2nd) #37 (gold coast 3rd)

Pick upgrades would be more what we would be looking for IMO

If Carlton land Papley, Martin and Betts where does he go

Think he could still end up at the Blues. Betts would only be a short term replacement and Papley and Martin can go through the middle too, meaning we could realistically play all four next season (although probably won’t). Long term we’d be a smart option.

Back