Traded Dan Butler [traded to St Kilda for #56]

Who won this trade?

• Richmond

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 39 should do it. We have a history of being willing to take unders so a player can have more opportunity at AFL level.

Still only 23 years old.

Pick 39 should do it. We have a history of being willing to take unders so a player can have more opportunity at AFL level.

Still only 23 years old.
Premiership small forward, by my calculations will take at least 2 first round picks and Cain Liddle to come back and do some admin work twice a week

Dec 5, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Knicks, Giants
I believe he would be a good pickup - he is just on the outer at the Tigers for some reason?
One trick pony.
Can only play as a small forward.
Others like Bolton, Rioli & Castagna all can play mid or like George can take a grab.
Higgins will be also ahead of Butler when he comes back next year

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers

Still only 23 years old.
Premiership small forward, by my calculations will take at least 2 first round picks and Cain Liddle to come back and do some admin work twice a week

Balme doesnt muck around with these picks , Any pick around the #60+ range will get him to a good home

So long as you guys dont treat him like trash he will be free to a good home

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Fits our needs.

Richmond are historically good to trade with.

Can see a 4th rounder or swap of 3rd rounders.

Probably just your pick #67 just to get him there,I would be surprised if its anything more
Sam Lloyd who is probably a better player got traded to doggies for pick #64

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Fits our needs.

Richmond are historically good to trade with.

Can see a 4th rounder or swap of 3rd rounders.
We usually get unders in these scenarios. I'd want pick 39, 4th rounder is probably too low. 3rd rounder is probably where it will be at.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
We usually get unders in these scenarios. I'd want pick 39, 4th rounder is probably too low. 3rd rounder is probably where it will be at.
I doubt it will be there 3rd rounders but if it was im sure there would be 1 of our 4th rounders going back so the blues could use that to secure cameron from the swans.

But most likely their 4th i would say which is pick #67 atm and will likely end up pick #70 after academy selections

Mar 6, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Boston Bruins, New York Giants
I believe he would be a good pickup - he is just on the outer at the Tigers for some reason?

An extremely long form slump.

If he can get anywhere close to where he was in 2017 it'll be a win for the Blues (or any other team that gets him). He's got a pretty deep bag of tricks and provides excellent pressure up forward when he's at top flight. This trade could be the change required to set his development back on the right track.

In saying that though, he was pivotal in Richmond's 40 point comeback in the VFL QF on the weekend so he might be back to his best sooner than expected. Carlton could well be getting a bargain if Richmond really are going to jump at a pick in the 60's. Personally think a third is closer to the mark given his age and ceiling.

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If he played any other position he'd be worth pick 39 on performance.

But uncontracted + Richmond's insane depth in this spot and he is seemingly out of favour means they will be happy to free up the list spot I reckon.

He also signed this contract in 2017 so presuming he got a little bit of a rise as a reward for a breakout year. The extra 150k saved from Butler (250kish) to a draftee (100k) could be the difference in keeping B.Ellis, or rewarding Soldo, or maybe it was used in keeping Astbury etc - much like clearing Lloyd, Miles, Ellis was worthwhile last year.

Pick 39 will probably get a late pick back to Carlton as Butler is surplus to needs, good trade for both sides.

Butler is a quality player. He's been passed by more rounded smalls. But he's well worth the pick 39. If he goes 67 it's a steal.

Could be anything, but is a bit hit and miss.

Munnez

Premiership Player
Apr 2, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
One trick pony.
Can only play as a small forward.
Others like Bolton, Rioli & Castagna all can play mid or like George can take a grab.
Higgins will be also ahead of Butler when he comes back next year
Seems like Higgins might be struggling to be back next year at least early doors

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
With Jack Higgins now out for the entire 2020 season and maybe beyond the RFC might think twice about letting butler go and offer up a new deal
No we won't.

There are at least half a dozen if not more guys on the list that can play that small forward/ up the ground small rotating role.

No need to keep him in the VFL. Let him go.

robbo1981

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2011
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
With Jack Higgins now out for the entire 2020 season and maybe beyond the RFC might think twice about letting butler go and offer up a new deal
That's what I was thinking especially if Bolton wants to go home.

Young Gun #6

Norm Smith Medallist
May 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Juventus, Suns
Think he is a lot more valuable to Richmond in their system than any other team. Wouldn’t be paying much to acquire him.

One of those players that gets the absolute best out of himself but can’t see much upside from what he already is, especially outside of the Richmond system.

'Small' players outside of Richmond's current 22:
-Jack Higgins
-Sydney Stack
-Marlion Pickett
-Dan Butler
-Mav Weller
-Jake Aarts

I think even with Higgins potentially being out for much of 2020 it's likely that Butler will struggle to become a regular 22 game, then the year after Richmond will be keen to bring in Maurice Rioli Jnr for the 2021 season.

Best to let Butler go for a 2nd/3rd rounder and keep one of Weller & Aarts for the VFL and injury depth as they are cheaper and have less trade value than Butler

Back