List Mgmt. Dan Hannebery - 5 year deal & Pick 28 to St.Kilda for Pick 39 & 2019 2nd Round Pick

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
ELITE salary dump by the swans… shame our management couldn't see what half the posters on this board could.

He won't get anywhere near the trigger clause which was about 85% of matches… his mate lethers might trigger it anyway though.

Hopefully adding players like Hill and Hanners will build a bit of momentum to attract some more free agents, because their actual on field output vs the salary and picks we've used is looking pretty awful.

And… I'm not buying the off field leadership schtick if he can't even join the leadership group.

You’d think it was heavily front-ended. Or hope.

The #10 is cursed isn't it?

Need to get Stevie Baker back to the club to heal that wound and restore it to glory.

EDIT: Give it to Paton if Hanners isn't going to be able to play.

ELITE salary dump by the swans… shame our management couldn't see what half the posters on this board could.

He won't get anywhere near the trigger clause which was about 85% of matches… his mate lethers might trigger it anyway though.

Hopefully adding players like Hill and Hanners will build a bit of momentum to attract some more free agents, because their actual on field output vs the salary and picks we've used is looking pretty awful.

And… I'm not buying the off field leadership schtick if he can't even join the leadership group.

Q1.
Which trade targets have we missed out on because of what we've been paying hanners?

Q2.
Which players haven't we been able to re-sign because of what we've been paying hanners?

Sure it would have been nice if we got him up and going, but he really was a free swing:
low risk (monopoly money we were forced to spend + a nothing pick cost) for potential high reward.

You gotta risk it for the biscuit, and don't forget his signing kicked off a wave of quality players nominating us.
Not saying it was the be all and end all- but I think it certainly helped attract others having a decorated player like him move to us when we looked very smelly.

Last edited:

Who did we get for the other pick?

Not easy to work out. We moved so many around that it's hard to work out. Ended up with Bytel around that pick but that was before the Sydney pick. Possibly Kent and Parker? Moved Hickey out as well so could have been that as well.

We split the pick with Melbourne which became Bytel and Parker.

We had the money that had to be spent. I'm glad we took the risk to make us a better club.

He may not have played as much as we wanted, but I have zero doubts that having Hanners leadership and experience around the club has made our playing group better.

I also think getting him through the door helped attract the 5 we got last off season.

Q1.
Which trade targets have we missed out on because of what we've been paying hanners?

Q2.
Which players haven't we been able to re-sign because of what we've been paying hanners?

Sure it would have been nice if we got him up and going, but he really was a free swing:
low risk (monopoly money we were forced to spend + a nothing pick cost) for potential high reward.

You gotta risk it for the biscuit, and don't forget his signing kicked off a wave of quality players nominating us.
Not saying it was the be all and end all- but I think it certainly helped attract others having a decorated player like him choose us when we looked very smelly.
It's a hard one to analyse. As you say, there are elements that can't be put into a tangible measurement such as cultural impact and helping recruit other players. On the other hand, it is shaping up to be a completely horrendous return in terms of on field performance for $$$. It's possible for both these these positives and negatives to be true. It's too simplistic to write it off as a 100% wrong move to get him. It's also too simplistic to say that it's worth it due to us recruiting players at the end of last year. We're still coughing up a huge salary for a bloke who can't get on the park. We also don't yet know what impact it will have on potential future recruits. What if Kelly did turn out to be an option and we couldn't afford him? Or any other number of potential elements over the rest of Hanners contract. I've loved his off field impact at the club and I can see why we took the punt, but it is a complicated issue. I can see both sides of the debate.

So now we readjust our sights. He's not going to be the saviour onfield that our wildest dreams were hoping for (and who can dream like a Saints fan?). But I remember another great player we brought in from another club who spent his time with us perpetually injured, always famously 2 weeks away, hell this bloke cost us pick 4 in the draft! We didn't get the value of him out on the field that we would've originally hoped for, 95 games, 128 goals, but he brought a toughness and leadership we needed, set our young boys up for the long term and is with the club to this day.

Maybe that's our hope for Hanners now. Hamill mk 2.

We need to do with Hannebry what Brisbane used to do with their ruckman (was it Keating) keep him in mothballs until finals time and let him play one month a year.
Let’s just make finals first aye lol

So now we readjust our sights. He's not going to be the saviour onfield that our wildest dreams were hoping for (and who can dream like a Saints fan?). But I remember another great player we brought in from another club who spent his time with us perpetually injured, always famously 2 weeks away, hell this bloke cost us pick 4 in the draft! We didn't get the value of him out on the field that we would've originally hoped for, 95 games, 128 goals, but he brought a toughness and leadership we needed, set our young boys up for the long term and is with the club to this day.

Maybe that's our hope for Hanners now. Hamill mk 2.
I will give you 1000-1 odds on 95 games or 128 goals.
Yes,what we're paying him may have encouraged Hill to come and see if he could score even more over the odds!Based on what these 2 are getting what would we value Cripps or Fyfe at??

I will give you 1000-1 odds on 95 games or 128 goals.
Yes,what we're paying him may have encouraged Hill to come and see if he could score even more over the odds!Based on what these 2 are getting what would we value Cripps or Fyfe at??
OblongBlindBlobfish-size_restricted.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The point is that comparing this to Hamill is like comparing Baldock with Lonie!
The point which I think you’re missing is that both Sammy and Hanna aren’t getting into the field as much as we like.

But because of their leadership and impact to the group they can influence our young and growing team positively even from the side.

No doubt it would be better if we could get Dan playing but his body is giving up and if he can help mentor players like Clark and Steele and take them to the next level then yes it’s shame but at least it wouldn’t have all gone to waste.

We’re not comparing Sammy to Dan but rather looking at them holistically.

The point which I think you’re missing is that both Sammy and Hanna aren’t getting into the field as much as we like.

But because of their leadership and impact to the group they can influence our young and growing team positively even from the side.

No doubt it would be better if we could get Dan playing but his body is giving up and if he can help mentor players like Clark and Steele and take them to the next level then yes it’s shame but at least it wouldn’t have all gone to waste.

We’re not comparing Sammy to Dan but rather looking at them holistically.
Not sure if I was a parent of one of those young guys that I would be too pleased about them being mentored off-field by a former "playmate" of Buddy's.

It’s a valid point and is pragmatic but I think the frustration comes from that this could be seen as an issue before we got Hanners. We just got unlucky with Robbo and Stuv.
Beggers can't be choosers.
NO ONE wanted to come to stkilda (seaford).
If Dan is a small piece in righting the ship, then that's all he needs to be.
The SC burden is almost irrelevant when taken in context, and we'll have a good clean out in the next 2 years to afford some more talent.
It's a bloody shame his hammies are stuffed, but the team just pulled off 2 of the best wins we've had in years without him.

Time to blood some fresh talent.
No looking back and moaning about what could have been.

Beggers can't be choosers.
NO ONE wanted to come to stkilda (seaford).
If Dan is a small piece in righting the ship, then that's all he needs to be.
The SC burden is almost irrelevant when taken in context, and we'll have a good clean out in the next 2 years to afford some more talent.
It's a bloody shame his hammies are stuffed, but the team just pulled off 2 of the best wins we've had in years without him.

Time to blood some fresh talent.
No looking back and moaning about what could have been.
Hannerbery was a Hail Mary because our attempts to get a big fish failed , so we went for something we could get even though it was dodgy.

Anyway the unexpected arrival of Marshall has more than made up for the injury prove Hannerbery.

Anything could happen this year but one thing I do know we finally have a team that can play finals and a lot of the players are only just starting to show how good they are going to be.
Marshall showed on Saturday he can play 2nd fiddle to a in form Ryder and cause damage and this will only improve him as every game goes on - he could become one of the best big men in the game easily the way he is going.

Hunter Class showed against Port he can play on a halfback flank and pickup 26 touches / this kid is going to be elite

Paton we got as a pick in the 50s and by the looks he already is one of the best small defenders running around / just a ripper

Coffield has shown he has the movement of a Giselle and ball skills to match / he will blossom to be elite

Long , well I never though he could become a regular , well he has proved me wrong - he is tremendous defender and his disposal is top class and is tough as they come for some guy that isn't that big.

King is a work in progress , every game he plays he is just getting more experience and will develop to become one of the best big forwards in the AFL.

Wilkie is like a 100gamer already and whenever he gets the ball you know he is not going to waste it.

Howard is another absolute ripper - getting a big guy who can actually spoil and take on the big forwards , mark and kick in defense is bloody hard to find - having guys like Zac Dawson and Brown are gone.

Butler would have to be one of the best small forwards in the game and we got him for basically nothing.

Billings has matured and is now a top quality player who could well be captain material.

Gresham is another guy who has slowly matured and now with a good ruckman is killing it getting the ball out of the middle and is on track to prove he is not just a good small forward.

Steele ----- just make the guy captain now , is on the cusp of becoming a elite player , tough as they come and gives 100% all the time , he is just a winner.

These 12 guys are top quality and are 25 or under and will only get better the games they play - they will be the backbone of the club for the next 4 to 5 years and I'm not even including Battle , Clavarino , Byrne or Bytel who I truly believe will become quality AFL players.

Once the club is seen to be on the right track and the atmosphere at the club is uplifting like it is at the moment attracting quality free agents will become easy and it will come down to fitting them into the salary cap.

This why getting quality people like Ratten , Gallager , Rath , Roughead , Lade has just turned the club around , people doubted Leathlean but if it was not for him we wouldn't be in the position we are now.
He made some fantastic calls and tough calls , so I will forgive the Hannerbery trade.

Even having a multi-millionare CEO will only attract more money into the club and make it more attractive to new supporters.

For instance would Josh Kelly really want leave GWS and play for a team like Nth Melbourne who will be lucky to get out of the btm 4 for the next 5 years at least.
Or play for a young side with absolute with unlimited talent which we now have.

Go Saints

The fact we got Dan, enable us to entice others to come
Jones/Butler/howard/ryder etc etc etc
We may have paid over the odds for him at the moment
but the investment will pay dividends ,
already membership record numbers /i am sure sponsors are up as well

Who else was prepared to come,??
NO A, B C graders

10 games in the first 2 seasons from a big name, big money recruit is a disaster. Especially considering that these were the last years of his twenties. If he can't get on the park as a 28/29 year old it seems unlikely that the next 3 years are going to be fruitful. May well be a great leader and good for locker room morale but this has been a very bad result thus far. Fingers crossed his contract was heavily front-loaded

I took the whole Hannebery thing as.

Oh s**t , we need to spend this warchest or we don't achieve the minimum on the cap, we haven't been able to land any of the players we wanted, and the supporters are going to feed on our carcasses if we don't get someone who's name they know.
Damn ...we need to get ol man Hannebery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back