List Mgmt. Dan Hannebery - 5 year deal & Pick 28 to St.Kilda for Pick 39 & 2019 2nd Round Pick

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing.
What is this story about some nepotism between Lethlean, Xavier and Hannebery?
Has this got legs or is it just some b/s BF urban myth?
Because the same nepotism gossip surrounded Lethlean and Brad Scott when we were looking for a Richo replacement.
And as far as I can see, Brad Scott is not our coach.

It started before we drafted him so not sure. Apparently according to rumours the old man and Lethlean are mates so perhaps it's nepotism but in so far as he was able to get into the ear of a potential draftee rather than an evil conspiracy to clear Sydney's books for the AFL and add his mate's broken-down son with a wink and a secret handshake. Brad Scott must have forgotten to wear his old boy tie.

Adjusted for inflation, Billy Barrot was the single biggest waste of money player in the history of the club.
Him, plus the Brownlow Medal we didn’t win.

That's a bit before my time but is that Ian Stewart traded to Richmond? One of my dickhead Richmond mates likes to go on about that trade even though he wasn't even alive when that trade happened.

Blight was the single biggest non player waste of money.
If we hadn’t gotten Blight we wouldn’t have attracted Gehrig, Hamill, Lawrence and co, and probably would have stayed mediocre as a club and team for the foreseeable future, but getting those guys in changed everything, so IMO getting Blight paid off Inadvertently at least.

Could have done without him delisting Shane Wakelin though. That was a mighty stupid thing to do. Right up there with the recruitments of Lovett and Hannas.

Mind boggling and costly decision that one.

Last edited:

Huge amount in this imo. The book 'The Boys' Club' by Michael Warner just came out and details how close the Xavier boys are.

Lethlean comes up a lot and it wouldn't surprise me if Hanners is on our books because of him almost entirely.

You are completely right. Not a fan of Lethers at all. I don't think people know JUST how close we were to have Brad Scott as our coach.

It's all good to make mistakes and learn from them, but the Hannebery one was pretty clearly a poor decision at the time. Actually worse than poor, closer to a fraud scenario based on Lethleans history with the players family.

We fixed Sydney's salary cap issues and paid them draft picks for the privilege and rooted our cap in the process. Look who's playing finals this year with a bunch of promising kids in the mix, YAY!

Chasing Hill made more sense, but still there's a point even after to committing to a player where the cost is too great and you walk away… we crossed that line by about 3 draft picks and a player.

Mitch McGovern looks like a shocking contract, but he's played 3 times the amount of games that Hanners has, he's 26 and still may have an impact. I would swap him with Hanners in a heartbeat. btw - I think he's been on closer to 700 than 800.

I’m still trying to find any evidence at all that shows recruiting Hanners rooted our TPP.

And with close to our best 22 we smashed them last year with our exciting kids running around. This year with about 25 to pick from we lost by a kick.

Don’t forget that we split our 1st pick & got Doug plus the pick we sent to Freo for Hill. Would have like to have kept the 2nd but the deal got done. Acres… well we’d probably be bemoaning having him on a $500k deal playing VFL last season if he stayed (which may have prevented us from getting Crouch).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As I posted the other day, a big part of the reason our cap is tight would be due to our horrendous injury run in recent years, when it comes to guys who were in career-best form signing new long-term deals, and then pretty much falling off a cliff immediately afterwards, due to injury/health, and us then being stuck with their contracts:

Stuv
Armo
Robbo
McCartin
Stevens
Longer
About to be Carlisle

In 2019 for instance we were presumably paying Stuv, Robbo, Paddy, Armo and Carlisle over $3mil of our salary cap, for them to play the following number of games:

Stuv (~ $750k)- 7 games
Robbo (~ $650k)- 0 games
Armo (~ $650k)- 2 games
Paddy ($500k)- 0 games
Carlisle (~ $550k)- 10 games

And that was Hannas first year with us, so we were paying him who knows, maybe a $mil, to play 5 games.

So those 6 mostly injured/unavailable guys were taking up maybe $4mil of our salary cap, to play 24 games between them.

Then last year we were paying Robbo and McCartin to play 1 game and Stuv to play for another team. Presumably well over a mil of our salary cap. And this year we’re paying Robbo again to not play.

All that right there would be a big part of the reason our cap is tight, along with paying that extra $650K, because we’ve taken the COVID 7% hit in one go.

Robbo and the extra Covid hit would presumably be over a mil between them this year.

But both of those will be behind us after this year and Hannas contract will be behind us next year, and you’d think we’ll have a pretty decent amount to throw at “big fish” then, as a result.

Brilliant post.

Can we please sticky this for the the Hanners & Hill stopped us from getting a broken down Treloar posts?

No. We must continue on the narrative that Hanners ruined everything...
I prefer the yarn about setting standards in training and leadership… and lifting the culture of the club as a whole.

Proof is in the pudding, we're running like a swiss clock and Hanners is the keystone, straight from heaven.

That's a bit before my time but is that Ian Stewart traded to Richmond? One of my dickhead Richmond mates likes to go on about that trade even though he wasn't even alive when that trade happened.
Absolutely correct.
We were shafted by the Tigers.
Twice over.
By taking Barrot.
And losing that third Brownlow.

I prefer the yarn about setting standards in training and leadership… and lifting the culture of the club as a whole.

Proof is in the pudding, we're running like a swiss clock and Hanners is the keystone, straight from heaven.

If only we could throw all the blame on one bloke.

It would no doubt please the simpletons calling for Lethers’ head on FB.

Do we know for a fact that there is a trigger clause, or are we locked in to 2023 as well.

I remember there being alot of argie-bargie at the time and from my opinion it looked as though we just agreed with the terms.

Yeah, this was a shocker and I can remember it as a young bloke. From memory it was a straight swap between Richmond and St Kilda and we got Billy Barrot and Richmond got Ian Stewart.
Bustling Billy Barrot as he was known was a flamboyant sort of character whose claim to fame was a booming kick, whereas Stewart was just all class.
I remember that most St Kilda supporters were simply baffled by this so called swap at the time, made worse after "Billy" only played a couple of games for us and Stewart went on to be a premiership player for Richmond and win a Brownlow.
I can recall watching Bustling Billy trying to get a kick in our reserves team, while at the same time Stewart was dominating for Richmond.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do we know for a fact that there is a trigger clause, or are we locked in to 2023 as well.

I remember there being alot of argie-bargie at the time and from my opinion it looked as though we just agreed with the terms.
He needed something like 60-70 games in 4 years for the trigger so that boat sailed long ago.

If he has any conscience he'll do the right thing and retire this year

If only we could throw all the blame on one bloke.

It would no doubt please the simpletons calling for Lethers’ head on FB.

I think Lethers has already got himself a new gig at Geelong, for all the wank about what a great operator he is, let's see if he leaves us in a better shape than when he arrived.

We're looking at a bottom four finish with worse effort than Richo's era, only have 4 players under the age of 21 on the list and have about 1.7 million of cap tied up to a player who should be dropped to the VFL and another who hasn't managed a regular game in 3 years.

Urs9ef0.gif

Yeah well you can tell him that Richmond mightn't have had to wait another 18 years for a premiership if they hadn't traded us the 1997 premiership player (reserves) and 1998 AFL Rising Star (nominee) in Justin Plapp.

Yeah well you can tell him that Richmond mightn't have had to wait another 18 years for a premiership if they hadn't traded us the 1997 premiership player (reserves) and 1998 AFL Rising Star (nominee) in Justin Plapp.

That is from our era and again would be the sort of s**t he'd go on about, how they'd dumped their s**t on us like Polo, Plapp and Pattison.

Hill should be dropped after 23 and 25 disposal games in the last two weeks?

He seems to go ridiculously well for a half then his numbers seem to drop off. Is he super unfit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back