Past Dan Hannebery - traded 2018, to St Kilda for packet of Samboys (BBQ)

Remove this Banner Ad

Despite all the things I have said about Hannebery the last 2 years I never doubted his commitment to the club, or how hard he would work on the field either and when he was good in 2016 and earlier he was very good. It is going to be sad to see him in colours other than the red and white, and I really hope he is able to find his previous form in 2019 for the Saints.

It's all about the Academy points. Plus the club has also put player welfare ahead of playing hardball at the trade table which looks dumb in the short term but I think works out in attracting players in the long term. If you were a Victorian player and had an equal choice of moving interstate between Port and Swans (ignoring how boring Adelaide is) which do you think will better manage your interests if things didn't work out?

As drasticswans said im not sure why you gave away 28, i think Hanners is pretty cooked and probably wont last another 3 years so I think what you got for him was fine without throwing 28 there way as well. 28 Would have been a handy pick for you guys for Blakey I would have thought.

Has to be salary cap relief, otherwise I can't explain it.

I agree the cap relief will be the main reason, my guess is you had to give 28 for the saints to agree to pay all his salary, im sure it would be north of 650k per year, if that's the case its not that bad a move i guess.

Not sure its this year but for future years. I think the cap is tight but in 2 seasons are cap could look a lot like norths. Hanners is gone and macca,grundy,kennedy,smith and jack are all likely gone in the next 2 seasons

Certainly we seem to have a lot of space. Tippett, Hanners, Rohan. All out the door with nothing back in. Jack, McVeigh & Grundy aren't costing us that much and all on pretty low year to year contracts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see some of you guys are pretty pissed about the trade, Saints got more than I expected that's for sure. I'm certainly happy with it, I've loved Hanners for years I would have been thrilled if we gave pick 4 for him.

I do think it'll all come out in the wash though. We won this one, who knows what happens in the near future? As a fan, I've always appreciated the way you guys are fair to trade with, it's a good relationship I reckon.
Anyway, sorry to intrude.

Loved his work rate but gave the ball back wayyy too much. Leaves a gap on our list but I think there’s a few who can step up. Got eff all for him but not mad about it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back