Past Dan Hannebery - traded 2018, to St Kilda for packet of Samboys (BBQ)

Remove this Banner Ad

You manage him well through out the year, and slowly build his game time and conditioning with the aim of having him cherry ripe come finals and then let him loose. God save whoever has to go against him.
Whilst nice in theory is it worth the risk if it doesn't pay off and he plays 4 games between rounds 14-17 to build game time and does another soft tissue injury?

Whilst nice in theory is it worth the risk if it doesn't pay off and he plays 4 games between rounds 14-17 to build game time and does another soft tissue injury?
I absolutely think it's worth the risk. The risk mitigation strategy is to play him, along with the player who is likely to replace him throughout the year, so if he does happen to go down we haven't put all of our eggs in the one basket.

The proviso of signing him is that he agrees to be transparent about how his body is feeling, accepts a rest if it's warranted. And I have absolutely know doubt that under that agreement, Hanners would not be pulling a Reid. Plus, lesson learnt from the GF if he's not 90+% fit, then he has to make way.

Only draw back is that it takes a place, and opportunity away from a younger player.

I'd love to see it happen though. But I'm absolutely thinking with my heart instead of my head with that call.

Man, maybe I'm being overly sentimental, and sure, he's only got a year or two left, but how could you say no to hanners? Midfield was a weakness, and hanners bled for the club, has always been a determined person. How could adding hanners possibly be anything but a great idea, he'd be 100% driven towards doing everything to get us into another GF, and would no doubt leave everything out there.

Even if he agreed that there were no guarantees of a senior role, he'd force his way into the best 22.

always hurt

The rational side of me knows that recruiting hanners takes away an opportunity from one of our youngsters and has the potential to derail the development of player's on the cusp who have been striving towards securing a regular place in the 22. Given our list profile, and the fact that we're realistically building towards peaking in the next 2-3 years, taking hanners on would be a backward step. And you don't let sentiment lead you to deviate from a list strategy that has been executed so well thus far, and is starting to bear fruit.

The same club that keeps a bloke on the list who has played 30 games in 8 seasons, including 2 in the last 5 seasons
And do we agree that was a mistake and a gamble that didn't pay off?

And do we agree that was a mistake and a gamble that didn't pay off?

I certainly do, but you'll still find posters who want to sign him up for 2023 :oops:

I don't think a one year risk at a low salary for a veteran is quite the same as the incompetency that has occurred with Naismith over the last 5 years

I certainly do, but you'll still find posters who want to sign him up for 2023 :oops:

I don't think a one year risk at a low salary for a veteran is quite the same as the incompetency that has occurred with Naismith over the last 5 years

Tbf Naismith is tall. and we can't recruit 7 footers for some reason.

I'd honestly just go to the US and find a basketballer, whose probably not going to be drafted to the NBA, and give him a rookie contract.

If he plays 5 games in 5 seasons, he's provided more value than Naismith.

The rational side of me knows that recruiting hanners takes away an opportunity from one of our youngsters and has the potential to derail the development of player's on the cusp who have been striving towards securing a regular place in the 22. Given our list profile, and the fact that we're realistically building towards peaking in the next 2-3 years, taking hanners on would be a backward step. And you don't let sentiment lead you to deviate from a list strategy that has been executed so well thus far, and is starting to bear fruit.
The youngsters will cement themselves in the 22 once they've earnt it. This isn't a charity. We're trying to win a premiership.

If any kid decides they want out because of one year in and out of the team then that's not the attitude we want. If anything it's an oppertunity to see who is dedicated. You would hope after this year that the best 22 will play on the big day. Stiff t***ies if you miss out even if it's for hanners.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Man, maybe I'm being overly sentimental, and sure, he's only got a year or two left, but how could you say no to hanners? Midfield was a weakness, and hanners bled for the club, has always been a determined person. How could adding hanners possibly be anything but a great idea, he'd be 100% driven towards doing everything to get us into another GF, and would no doubt leave everything out there.

Even if he agreed that there were no guarantees of a senior role, he'd force his way into the best 22.
To quote John McEnroe in full voice "YOU CAN'T BE SERIOUS".

The youngsters will cement themselves in the 22 once they've earnt it. This isn't a charity. We're trying to win a premiership.

If any kid decides they want out because of one year in and out of the team then that's not the attitude we want. If anything it's an oppertunity to see who is dedicated. You would hope after this year that the best 22 will play on the big day. Stiff t***ies if you miss out even if it's for hanners.
We’ve kept Buddy in the team. I reckon next year is a bit about protecting the young players while having one final crack with some of the old guard. 2024 will then be all about the new core.

If Hanners comes in a plays 10 games, that’s 10 collective games worth or rest for a Rowbottom, Warner, Parker, Mills, etc. I don’t think that is a bad thing in terms of keeping the list fresh for finals.

And then if Hanners is on song when finals swing around, he can go all in knowing it’s his last few games of footy (like he did in the St Kilda game - hell, even make him the super sub).

Surely there is a fringe player we can let go to make it happen?

Ignoring that it is Hanners for a minute

17 games in 4 years due to injuries and 31. Who would take a gamble on a player with that profile?
Us - kept Alex Johnson on the list for 6 years for 2 games, and he showed a lot less than Hannebery ever did.

Same "sentimental reasons" line too.

Turn it up look at his 12 finals games , absolute future champion and they had him as a future captain !
You must really hate Hannebery if you think Johnson showed more than him.

Has to be one of the least controversial things I've ever said on this forum, that Hannebery was a lot better than Johnson

Us - kept Alex Johnson on the list for 6 years for 2 games, and he showed a lot less than Hannebery ever did.

Same "sentimental reasons" line too.
So with hindsight that was a mistake
Keeping Naismith also a mistake

And we want to make it a 3rd time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back