Dan Hannebery

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
What has happened to this bloke?

Gone from being a good midfielder averaging around 25 touches a game who got even better to have 2 30 disposal a game seasons. Since it’s all been downhill. Currently averaging 18 disposals a game and has been missing all season.

He’s only 27 years old. Seems really bizarre to me.

Fitness and his groin would be my guess. A big part of his game was motoring non stop for almost the whole four quarters with bursts to burn off opponents. Watching the last few games he's played, he spends a lot of time walking or jogging very slowly in no man's land.

Fitness and his groin would be my guess. A big part of his game was motoring non stop for almost the whole four quarters with bursts to burn off opponents. Watching the last few games he's played, he spends a lot of time walking or jogging very slowly in no man's land.

This.
Was great to watch as a gut runner. Looks like he has aged 10 years in 1 and is a shadow of what he was.

Someone made a lengthy post about this a while ago, but typically when a previously good player is consistently average for a long time, it's due to injury. That's why so many breakout seasons coincide with the player completing their first full preseason.
That was the case for Jed Anderson, most young players cop injuries over their first few pre-seasons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has always been a downhill skier like Luke Parker.

Rubbish analysis.

Gun player at his peak, but looks to be on the slide due to the accumulation of injury.

I doubt he'll continue playing beyond his current contract.

Has always been a downhill skier like Luke Parker.

Peacock Parker as he is known these days. Someone had to take the mantle from Steve Johnson for the bloke who can do sweet F.A for a whole game, bob up and kick a regulation set shot from 40, then prance around like he pulled off a miracle.
In saying that, when he does play good games you wonder why he goes missing for such long patches in his poorer ones. When he DOES pull off the miracle it's quite exciting to watch. Then he undoes it by either going missing for long patches or celebrating too hard over nothing.

27yo with a 35yo body - has been bashed up a lot over his career, particularly shoulders and knees/groins. Different type but Dermie was finished at 27yo from bashing and crashing as well.

Absolute gun two-way mid at his peak. How he didn't win the 2012 Norn Smith remains one of lifes great mysteries.

These stats only go back to 2015 unfortunately but Hannebery was very good in 2015 and 2016 so there is some data to use but here is metres gained for Hannebery from 2015 to 2018

2015 - 379m
2016 - 426m
2017 - 280m
2018 - 199m

So in 2018 he is literally going at less than 50% of what he was going at 2 years ago.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back