Universal Love Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah. Polec has his accuracy with about 10m more length.

They would be my top 2 though
Polec has been making a lot of unnecessary kicking * ups this year. A few bad shots on goal and on Friday night that dopey pass on the outside of his left when a simple 15m kick on the right to Impey, just had to bounce properly in front of Impey, as he was near the interchange bench and apart from the Carlton bloke 3 or 4 m behind him there was nobody else inside our forward 70m. Give Impey a better than 50/50 chance and he would have been away 4 and 5 bounces towards goal. But it was a s**t smart arse kick and the Blues turned it over and scored a point I think, as it was the 2nd quarter as we were kicking to the Riverbank end.

Eddie Dingle I noticed in the original thread when we drafted him you said you knew his old man. Have you had any feed back from him this season?

Nothing.

His dad was the boss of CUB in the territory and ran water for our footy club. He only let me know Dan had been rookied because there was a few of us at that particular club very passionate about Ports. Reckon he would be right proud.

He is eligible for the rising star isn't he? It would be good to see him nominated. Probably under rated in his role and importance to our side. Let's get his rising star campaign rolling!

I think what he gives us is versatility. Hartlett, Broadbent and Pittard can all be used elsewhere and don't have to take the kick ins constantly. TJ and Clurey can just focus on shutting down a player whilst Houston and Hombsch intercept or drop back to spoil.

He is eligible for the rising star isn't he? It would be good to see him nominated. Probably under rated in his role and importance to our side. Let's get his rising star campaign rolling!

I think what he gives us is versatility. Hartlett, Broadbent and Pittard can all be used elsewhere and don't have to take the kick ins constantly. TJ and Clurey can just focus on shutting down a player whilst Houston and Hombsch intercept or drop back to spoil.

They'll probably give him a nom sooner or later, once all the flashy players have been selected.

Interesting insight into the lot of a rookie listed player...

Upgraded Houston winning battle down back

AS a rookie-listed player last year, Port Adelaide defender Dan Houston struggled with the harsh reality that no matter what he did he was going to be in the reserves the following week.

"It's a mental barrier knowing when the team gets selected, you're not in contention because you're on the rookie list," Houston told AFL.com.au.

"It's a bit hard mentally, but it's something you've got to work through.

"You've just got to hope what you're doing is good enough to get upgraded.

"It's about perseverance and it builds a lot of character."

Houston, 19, has been a revelation for the Power since he was upgraded to the senior list after strong performances in the JLT Community Series.

After making his AFL debut in the round one win against Sydney, he will play his sixth game when the Power face the Brisbane Lions at the Gabba on Saturday.

Houston was overlooked in the 2015 NAB AFL Draft before the Power snapped him up with the 45th pick in the rookie draft.

"I don't see why there should be a rookie list," Houston said.

"The rookies do the same work the main list players do.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-04-29/upgraded-houston-winning-the-battle-down-back

Interesting insight into the lot of a rookie listed player...

Upgraded Houston winning battle down back

AS a rookie-listed player last year, Port Adelaide defender Dan Houston struggled with the harsh reality that no matter what he did he was going to be in the reserves the following week.

"It's a mental barrier knowing when the team gets selected, you're not in contention because you're on the rookie list," Houston told AFL.com.au.

"It's a bit hard mentally, but it's something you've got to work through.

"You've just got to hope what you're doing is good enough to get upgraded.

"It's about perseverance and it builds a lot of character."

Houston, 19, has been a revelation for the Power since he was upgraded to the senior list after strong performances in the JLT Community Series.

After making his AFL debut in the round one win against Sydney, he will play his sixth game when the Power face the Brisbane Lions at the Gabba on Saturday.

Houston was overlooked in the 2015 NAB AFL Draft before the Power snapped him up with the 45th pick in the rookie draft.

"I don't see why there should be a rookie list," Houston said.

"The rookies do the same work the main list players do.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-04-29/upgraded-houston-winning-the-battle-down-back
Starting to get a bit of recognition, if he continues to play well he might be in line for a rising star nom soon.

Interesting insight into the lot of a rookie listed ..."I don't see why there should be a rookie list," Houston said. "The rookies do the same work the main list players do.

Spot on NASA. Hurry up and sign the bloody CBA so the rookie list can be scrapped. Sure have a secondary draft a few days after the national draft because stuff ups can happen, but they shouldn't be called rookie players on rookie wages.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't mind seeing Dan Huston having a stint in the forward line this week!
What does everyone else think?

In a year or so once his confidence at the level is right up there, I think I'd definitely be keen to see him spend some time growing his versatility and showing us what he can do up forward.

I've never seen his work as a forward so can't comment on that side of his game but if he's any good and can adapt his quality defensive talents to a shut down forward ala Monfries role there's room in the best 22 for that type of player once Gus decides to hang up the boots.

I've never seen his work as a forward so can't comment on that side of his game but if he's any good and can adapt his quality defensive talents to a shut down forward ala Monfries role there's room in the best 22 for that type of player once Gus decides to hang up the boots.

If I recall correctly he was a pretty handy mark in the TAC cup.

He was drafted as a project Monfries type forward.

He has the best set shot for goal in the club - but his value down back far outweighs the goal or two he may kick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back