Toast Dan ******* Houston!

Marat

Team Captain
Sep 13, 2017
Marrickville
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Danny Boy is so composed and forensic with ball in hand. Always seems to take the right option. I also want him playing through the centre and delivering into the 50. Exactly what we have been missing. With Amon transformed, suddenly the skilled outside mix is looking a whole lot better. With the Beard going back and with Marshall as the highly skilled link up / lead up, we are looking a whole lot more dangerous on transition and entry. But back to Dan, third round pick in the rookie draft - with a bit of luck he will play 250 and captain this club - drink to that campaigners

(Log in to remove this ad.)

raptalia

Premium Platinum
Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
Dont get that ... at 185cm/83kg's he is on par with 50% of the A-grade midfielders out there. And Burton at 191cm/90kgs, can become anything! I definitely want those two as as our focal mids driving the ball out of the center in years to come! With players like Amon, and in future Rozee and Duursma to run through the middle, we potentially have a killer midfield group in future years.
Dan Houston is listed as 187cm but I agree with your argument as I do not have a problem with Houston or Burton's size, after all Dangerfield, Pendlebury, Yeo are all around the 190cm mark and they do not do too badly in the midfield. I can see scope for a new mix in our mid field. We tried to load our midfield with the strong body types like Wines, Powell-Pepper, Rockliff, Ebert and Boak and it has not worked to our advantage so now is the time for a re think and get the mix right. I see Wines, Houston, Powell-Pepper, Burton, Rozee, Amon and Duursma as among our midfield mix into the future. That gives a good blend of height, strength, ball getting ability and accurate delivery.

The upshot is that we may have a couple of big names that will have to move out of the mid field mix and 2020 is probably the year to re cast our midfield. The experience of Travis Boak, Wines and Powell-Pepper probably demands they stay in the midfield mix but I am struggling to see how Motlop, Rockliff, Ebert, Sam Gray also stay in the mix if we want to tansition to youth run and skill. I am also not sure where relatively untried players like Atley and Drew fit. I will not deny that these players have a lot going for them but how many mids can we carry? Maybe a couple of these names go on the trade table come October?

I looked at our list on footywire and we have nineteen players listed as midfielders not including Dan Houston and Ryan Burton and that is a lot of mid field options. Probably half our list are midfield options so there is a need for some players to re invent themselves. It would be great if one of our older midfielders could morph into a Cameron or Walters.

Last edited:

Hong-Kong Phooey

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 22, 2011
i have no idea
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man United
i dont think he will ever win a Brownlow. Thatsd reserved for explosive guys like dangerfield. What he is a bloody good footballer who will be relied on week in and week out to support the team through ups and downs. Definitley captain material.

jakey

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
i dont think he will ever win a Brownlow. Thatsd reserved for explosive guys like dangerfield. What he is a bloody good footballer who will be relied on week in and week out to support the team through ups and downs. Definitley captain material.
Priddis and Woewoeful were not 'explosive'.

Nor for that matter are Pendlebury or Tom Mitchell or Sam Mitchell etc.

Not saying Dan will, but if he regularly posts games like Saturday, he very well could.

PAFC66

Sack Hinkley
Feb 5, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Was listening to Ginever on the weekend & he said on a number of times that Houston is our next Roger James. Can see similarities. Speaking of which he was a absolute gun.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Roger James had exceptional foot skills and was as good as inside as he was outside .. he has a long way to go still to get to that level.

RussellEbertHandball

Flick pass expert
Nov 16, 2004
SE Oz
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
The Mighty Blacks
Roger James had exceptional foot skills and was as good as inside as he was outside .. he has a long way to go still to get to that level.
Houston's foot skills are as good as the Orchardist's. That is what Timmy G was talking about when he made the comparison. He doesn't have Roger's hard ball gets winning ability yet.

shewho

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Are there other teams?
Both late bloomers too. Roger was recruited as a mature age wingman and was very nearly delisted before becoming an inside mid and one of our most valuable players in 2001-2004. Houston was recruited with our last rookie selection as an undersized third tall forward (if that makes sense) and has steadily improved until this year where he has improved markedly.

As someone else said, our Most Improved Player this year (Houston, DBJ, Ladhams, Amon) will surely be the most improved Most Improved ever.

RussellEbertHandball

Flick pass expert
Nov 16, 2004
SE Oz
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
The Mighty Blacks
Tredders has jumped on the bangwagon, probably after Timmy G kept telling him, in the AA box on Saturday, he's the next Roger James and the orchardist always feed him. In his article on line for tomorrow's paper.

With Dan Houston in the midfield, Port Adelaide has eradicated a problem.
But as cliched as it sounds, moving Houston, 22, from defence to the midfield has been a ray of light to an on-ball brigade that has struggled for efficiency this year.The Power’s midfielders have done a lot right this season. Recently, they ranked first for inside-50s and forward-half turnovers, yet they’ve been unable to capitalise on their good work with poor efficiency and execution on goal.But the wheel is starting to turn. Whoever in Port’s coaching group came up with the idea of moving Houston into the midfield should be lauded.

After Saturday’s victory, coach Ken Hinkley revealed: “We understand our deficiencies, and Dan was one of our solutions.”

Originally Houston was thrust into Port Adelaide’s midfield training group as a way to improve his contested game. But it wasn’t until the Power lost co-captain Ollie Wines and clearance king Tom Rockliff to injury that Houston’s midfield training wheels were thrown into a game-day role — and the rest is history.
You also start to wonder could this be the emergence Port’s next wave of onballers. It doesn’t take much to see with Houston, Amon and rookies Xavier Duursma and Connor Rozee, when he eventually graduates to a genuine midfielder, the future is bright at Alberton.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jack Grange

Club Legend
Feb 4, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
While I agree that Houston has been bloody impressive on ball, he's still a support midfielder and I don't think we'd be able to play both him and Burton on ball at the same time.

His lack of height/strength/speed means he liable to being torn apart in contests. However, being supported by guys like Wines/Rockliff/SPP etc. who can do the grunt work gives Houston much more freedom to use his skills on the outside.
Gee Greg Williams wasn't quick, wasn't tall and similar strength to DH ....fair footballer though...

Top Bottom