Universal Love Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 1, 2014
Adelaide, Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Ducks, Yankees
I remember after his first game that we all were talking about how composed he looked and that based on that performance he'd be a 200+ gamer at the club. Usually such comments are oversensationalistic, but this was the exception to the rule. He is a star of our team and the entire competition. Should be a lock for the All-Australian team but the All-Victorian media will probably snub him. Not sure I've seen a more consistent player in our club over the first 50 games of their career.

Apr 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Hope he wins a B&F one day and the wider footy public will be like "Who's this guy who won Port's B&F?". And I hope we appoint him as captain one day to get the same reaction, then hopefully he gets an All-Australian nod but I wouldn't hold my breath on the people in charge getting that one right.

Houston, we have lift-off

tumblr_n1wly85oaG1smcbm7o1_500.gif

:p

Smithy7

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 1, 2014
South of Scotland
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
1559560967821.png

SHANGHAI, CHINA - JUNE 02:
Dan Houston in action during the 2019 AFL round 11 match between the St Kilda and the Port Adelaide

Good action shot of Dan ... OK where to next .. Looking ..

Has anyone ever seen this guy make a mistake?!
Showdown against Sloane fell over after taking a mark and having plenty of time to get rid of the ball, late in the first quarter and handballs into Sloane's knee and sloane picks up the ricochet and runs into goal. 2 or 3 clangers per game is normal. Less than most of our players but he makes mistakes.

Sep 18, 2011
here
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea / Ferrari F1
Showdown against Sloane fell over after taking a mark and having plenty of time to get rid of the ball, late in the first quarter and handballs into Sloane's knee and sloane picks up the ricochet and runs into goal. 2 or 3 clangers per game is normal. Less than most of our players but he makes mistakes.
The entire team has the coordination of the 3 stooges when we play showdowns so I'll let that one slide. 😜

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thing is, I remember when that happened and the crowd reaction was not so much surprise that it happened, but that it was Dan Houston that had stuffed up.

After an impressive midfield debut against the Saints in China, is Dan Houston the answer to Port Adelaide’s kicking issues in the middle?
The Phantom, The Advertiser June 4, 2019 6:22pm

Port Adelaide’s first-choice midfield has no problem winning the ball, ranking first for contested possession and clearances in the competition, but it’s the ball-use away from the stoppage which has become an issue. Collectively, the Power’s midfield, including wingmen, have registered a kicking efficiency of 56.6 per cent this season — the second-lowest in the competition.Only Gold Coast midfielders have hit less targets by foot in 2019.

Enter Dan Houston.

The 22-year-old, who Champion Data rates as an elite general defender in the AFL, made his midfield debut against the Saints in China. And it was an impressive start. Houston attended the second-most centre bounces (22) for the Power — behind only Travis Boak — and recorded career highs in disposals (28), clearances (7) and loose-ball gets (7). But his 22 effective disposals — also a career high — and disposal efficiency of 78 per cent stood out the most. As did Houston’s clanger count, given the 186cm right-footer, who is rarely rushed, didn’t register one. The only other Power player to do the same was forward Kane Farrell but he only had seven touches.
Prior to the midfield move, Houston - who was drafted by the Power in the 2015 rookie draft as a medium-sized forward - was in career-best form as a rebounding defender, averaging 22 disposals, five marks, five rebound 50s and 99 Champion Data ranking points per game in the past month.
With the return of Ryan Burton and Riley Bonner across half-back, Houston’s midfield move might become more than a one-off, given his attributes address a key deficiency in that part of the ground for the Power.

PORT ADELAIDE’S MIDFIELD BY FOOT
Xavier Duursma (Wing)
69.2% - Above Average

Karl Amon (Wing)
68.7% - Above Average

Willem Drew (Mid)
63.9% - Above Average

Tom Rockliff (Mid)
55.3% - Below Average

Travis Boak (Mid)
54.4% - Below Average

Sam Powell-Pepper (Mid-Fwd)
50.4% - Below Average

Robbie Gray (Mid-Fwd)
49.3% - Below Average

Ollie Wines (Mid)
42.9% - Poor

*Ratings are based off players position
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...e/news-story/24b889ce9cfa1603bdb43a5ce6135935

Chizza12

All Australian
Jul 29, 2016
Wynn Vale
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
This has been the problem for a long time, they talk about the 'connection' with the forwards. Connection happens when mids hit a forward target or at least put it to there advantage. The balance of our midfield is crucial moving forward as highlighted above we have a plethora inside mids with poor foot skills. The club made a ballsy list management decision last year and need to do so again. Rockliff is the one that is really expendable as I can't really see that he can play anywhere else but inside mid. I can't see it happening though when he's got 2 more years left on his contract after this year.

crafty_bernardo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Better than sex - Close game, Boak gets the clearance dishes it to Dan who then launches it perfectly to a leading Dixon or Howard. Proceeds to slot it through and we win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jac147

Club Legend
Jun 10, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Funny that his 50th game is set to be in China after he was dropped for the first game in China in 2017 because the club didn’t have a jumper with his number on it.
Nah! That’s rubbish (but it’s still a good story). What happened, a returning from injury Jasper Pittard waved his “gold pass” in front of Kenny’s nose. So it was simple, Jasper in, Dan out. Very sad as Dan did not deserved to be dropped. But we all know about Kenny’s “gold passes”. Wait for the next instalment of the “gold pass” saga, in the next few weeks, when some other “gold pass” recipients are ready to return to the A side.

Last edited:
Back