Free Agency Dan McStay [Joins Collingwood as UFA]

It wouldn't make sence for Collingwood to pick him up if De Goey leaves.

De Goey leaves RFA = compo.
De Goey leaves RFA, McStay joins RFA = probably no compo
If De Goey leaves as a RFA we would have to match to force a trade. Can Collingwood afford to match and McStay RFA? I doubt it with Grundy and Moore contracts plus the cap issues of the last few years.

Trade for Mcstay instead of a Free Agency

Daka

Premium Platinum
Nov 28, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania Devils
The Pies are desperate for a key forward even if it's average one.

I don't think he would be a massive loss for the Lions they still have Daniher & Hipwood
I know Lions have upped their offer but if it's too much you just have to let him go you don't want overpay to keep a player like McStay.

TakingThePies

Club Legend
Jul 11, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
It's a front ended contract from Pies. 600k each of first 2 years, baserate will be lower and have triggers for more cash.

May 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It's a front ended contract from Pies. 600k each of first 2 years, baserate will be lower and have triggers for more cash.

Considering it's rumoured his main motivation for leaving is money, you would think it'd have to beat the supposed Brisbane contract by a decent amount (which is reported to be closer to 5 years at $500k/year).

McStay is looking to set himself up for the rest of his career. I doubt any offer with performance triggers will entice him across to a new club. It'll be guaranteed money and a long contract if he's moving.

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
The Pies are desperate for a key forward even if it's average one.

I don't think he would be a massive loss for the Lions they still have Daniher & Hipwood
I know Lions have upped their offer but if it's too much you just have to let him go you don't want overpay to keep a player like McStay.
It's certainly easier to replace 1 guy than it is 2 or 3 if your forward line has no talls at all but McStay has tremendous value as a really good pressure player and a capable back up ruck.

Daniher can ruck too but then they're taken away their most dangerous goal kicker. A smaller 3rd tall can come in to the side but you need to find one and they aren't easy to find.

Or they pick a 2nd ruck but suddenly that's a top heavy forward line with poor pressure skills.

They're going to have to be really clever to find a capable replacement.

Aug 16, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It's certainly easier to replace 1 guy than it is 2 or 3 if your forward line has no talls at all but McStay has tremendous value as a really good pressure player and a capable back up ruck.

Daniher can ruck too but then they're taken away their most dangerous goal kicker. A smaller 3rd tall can come in to the side but you need to find one and they aren't easy to find.

Or they pick a 2nd ruck but suddenly that's a top heavy forward line with poor pressure skills.

Lohmann is ready to play next year he’s been very impressive at VFL level this year and was handy at AFL until injury

McStay is looking to set himself up for the rest of his career. I doubt any offer with performance triggers will entice him across to a new club. It'll be guaranteed money and a long contract if he's moving.
If we're talking about front ending the contract. It'll likely be 700+ for the first couple then lower as he gets older/end of his contract.

Also, I imagine post career, the pies can set him up for life outside football.

Last edited:

Thomasno

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2021
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Apparently we’ve already met with Fogarty, so there’s contingency plans being made. Worst case scenario Payne wouldn’t be the worst option swung forward as a third for Hipwood/Daniher, he’s shown he can at least hold his own there

Article in The Australian this morning says "rivals grow certain that Pies have secured McStay."
And in the HS too.
rivals grow certain the Pies have secured Lions free agent Dan McStay.
The Lions have grown pessimistic about their chances of keeping McStay, offered five seasons at $600,000 by the Pies as a second key forward, while Brisbane offered him four years at $500,000.

They have since offered a fifth season, but Melbourne rivals keen to pitch to McStay have been told not to bother, given his club has already been chosen. It is now accepted that it would take a change of mind for McStay to return to the Lions.

Libbaaaa

Premiership Player
Jun 1, 2021
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Basically Dougal Howard money ($3m over 5 years).

marcmurphy3

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Carlton
600k over 5 years is clearly overpaying for McStay who is a solid player at best. That said KPF is the Pies biggest weakness and the top ones rarely move so he might be the best they can do. Other option is to draft one and have to wait for 4-5 years for him to develop.

The Degoey compo factor is an interesting twist.

marcmurphy3

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Carlton
Not really.
If De Goey decided to leave. You match and force a trade.
Degoey will only leave in the first place if he is offered a contract that you arent willing to offer. If the Pies match a 4-5 year deal for 800k per season that everyone knows you have no intention of giving just to force a trade I could see the AFL having a good look at it.

Degoey will only leave in the first place if he is offered a contract that you arent willing to offer. If the Pies match a 4-5 year deal for 800k per season that everyone knows you have no intention of giving just to force a trade I could see the AFL having a good look at it.
Yeah possibly. In saying that, I think he stays.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
600k over 5 years is clearly overpaying for McStay who is a solid player at best. That said KPF is the Pies biggest weakness and the top ones rarely move so he might be the best they can do. Other option is to draft one and have to wait for 4-5 years for him to develop.

The Degoey compo factor is an interesting twist.

This is quite a good/talented KPF draft apparently, Collingwood are best advised to let JDG go, don't bother with McStay, and have a couple of cracks at trying to bring in a gun young foward via the draft.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
So do the Lions drop McStay and play Fort and Lohmann instead no point playing someone who doesn’t want to be there

That's what I would do and what Carlton did with Lachie Hendedson when he told the club he was going back to Geelong with 6 or so games remaining in the season

marcmurphy3

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Carlton
So do the Lions drop McStay and play Fort and Lohmann instead no point playing someone who doesn’t want to be there.
No way. As a team in flag contention Brisbane needs to play their best 22.

I don't see it causing much disruption in the playing group. Players moving clubs is quite common now. Not like 10-15 years ago where every good player that left was branded a traitor.

Back