List Mgmt. Dan McStays 3 yr deal

Remove this Banner Ad

McStay said his teammates’ investment in the Club played a big part in his decision.

“For me, it’s all the other guys signing on and seeing that they are invested in our future,” he said.

This bit is really good to see. Heaps of players re-signing already means that players want to stay because of that. And then others stay because they seen McStay and co staying. Hopefully McClugagge/Witherden etc stay because they see others (and McStay) staying. (Hard sentence to understand but l reckon people get the gist of it)

Witherden is going no where I can assure you of that. Not sure about Hughy, but you would imagine with Berry and there being no strong lure back home, he will be a long term proposition for us.

Must admit, I was always quietly confident Dan would re-sign based on conversations with Dan's parents at a recent Lions function. Not only are Dan's parents invested in the club, but it was evident from them that Dan was too. Hence why I was surprised when someone mentioned that he had been shopping himself around (or his manager anyways) which didn't accord that over a month or so ago Jon Ralph reported that both McStay and Martin would be re-signed in the coming weeks.

I'm genuinely rapt for him too; I'm a real fan of his.

What do people think he would be on? I feel like to would be $450K over 3 with incentives to get to $550K

Thing that is impressing me about Dan this year is his work up the ground, winning the contested ball and using his hands etc. It's been his big area of improvement. He is still on his P plates though, as much as I am a true believe, we are going to have to see him take a reasonable step up throughout the course of next year. I am confident this will happen. You saw that contested mark on the wing last week, once he starts sticking 3-4 of them a game instead of 1, look out.

Oh the Mug! Friends & I used to call him Fitzroy's secret weapon. Bring him on for a few minutes & he'd make an impact, sometimes good, sometimes not! McStay is a much better mark & a better player than the Mug though. He just needs more confidence in his kicking.
Has a decent footballer as a nephew too (Mugavin that is).

Dan McStays. Its been a McHaze since those early McDays where he was a bit of a McLaze. He sometimes McSprays and turns the McBays into a McCraze. Recently he has earnt his McPraise and deserves his McRaise as listens to what Fagan McSays. Just needs to fix his McGaze and run his defender into a McMaze, leave them in a McDaze so that they McWaze for Hipwood. McPays to invest in the youth. McYays!
McMazing!

Great news, it's so good to see that Andrew's, Gardiner and Mcstay have come so far since being the defenders of countless opposition inside 50s in years gone by, to now delivering on their potential.

I hope in the same way thatGardiner and Andrew's are impactful in their way already, McStay can also be a focal point of his own. Working really hard, if he can add steady marking on leads when possible, and finish those set shots for 1-2 goals a game in addition to bringing the ball to ground at the rest of the forward contests we will be so much more fearsome

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here you go.

Brisbane forward Dan McStay giving back to Lions and helping new cubs feel at home
July 24, 2019

Both interpretations of the word — considerate of others or to be deep in thought — perfectly describe the Lions forward, who has just signed a new three-year deal with the club.

McStay remembered how he struggled to feel settled as he bounced from house to house in his first few years in Brisbane.

So when he bought his first property a couple of years ago, he went to the club and offered to take in a new draftee.

Zac Bailey has now lived with him for two years and after last year’s draft they added Tom Joyce.

“When I got drafted, my first three or four years, I moved eight times,” he said.

“I found that difficult.

“What I wanted to do was bring some players in who were comfortable to stay with me for two or three years or even longer — as long as they wanted.

“I thought I could help them with their professionalism but also provide that stability that might help with any issues of homesickness.’’

Daniel McStay has signed a new deal. Pic: AAP
Footy clubs are generally divided into a few different interest groups. At Brisbane the golfers dominate and there’s a scattering of fishermen, car buffs and surfers as well.

McStay is known as a team-oriented player but when it comes to free time, he’s happy to drop off the grid with his German Shepherd, Kaiser.

“I spend a lot of my time walking my dog, that is where in recent times I spend a lot of time thinking about things,” he said.

“I go at least once and often twice a day. It is time when I switch off from footy.’’

His personality profile means he will always think before he acts.

It is why, even though he grew up with a tattoo artist for a father in a house where he says there were always heavily-inked visitors from around the world, he has never been tempted.

“I am a deep thinker, I was always thinking about the future and what if I changed and didn’t like it anymore,’’ he said.

Lions players swamp McStay after a goal. Pic: AAP
“I am not the most spontaneous kind of guy, you look at the AFL and there are plenty of guys getting ink but I think for now I’ll stay a clean skin.’’

He is also prone to thinking after he acts, sometimes excessively when it comes to his footy, which is something coach Chris Fagan identified early in their relationship.

“I have had many chats to Fages about that,’’ he admitted.

“He urges me that when things happen on the footy field, if I miss a mark or a shot on goal, to not dwell on it too much and let it affect my confidence.

“It was changing of mindset for me, I used to look at contest and if I hadn’t marked it was a negative.

“Now if I bring it to ground it is a win, if I mark it, it is a bonus.’’

McStay remembered how he struggled to feel settled as he bounced from house to house in his first few years in Brisbane.
Zac Bailey has now lived with him for two years and after last year’s draft they added Tom Joyce.
“When I got drafted, my first three or four years, I moved eight times,” he said.

“I found that difficult.
I think Andrew Crowell and his welfare team would be working extremely hard to make sure that this type of thing doesn't happen again, so happy we now have our off field stuff sorted.

So did the Lamberts. They were the best at player welfare.
Yer, I loved them as well, but obviously Dan was unsettled and we were a basket case off field at the time so not beyond the pale to extrapolate that it was a club failure. It would be interesting to know if other recruits around that time had the same unable to settle issues or it was a one off with Dan, that was around the Go Home 5 era as well.

Here you go.

Brisbane forward Dan McStay giving back to Lions and helping new cubs feel at home
July 24, 2019

Both interpretations of the word — considerate of others or to be deep in thought — perfectly describe the Lions forward, who has just signed a new three-year deal with the club.

So when he bought his first property a couple of years ago, he went to the club and offered to take in a new draftee.

“I found that difficult.

“What I wanted to do was bring some players in who were comfortable to stay with me for two or three years or even longer — as long as they wanted.

“I thought I could help them with their professionalism but also provide that stability that might help with any issues of homesickness.’’

Footy clubs are generally divided into a few different interest groups. At Brisbane the golfers dominate and there’s a scattering of fishermen, car buffs and surfers as well.

McStay is known as a team-oriented player but when it comes to free time, he’s happy to drop off the grid with his German Shepherd, Kaiser.

“I spend a lot of my time walking my dog, that is where in recent times I spend a lot of time thinking about things,” he said.

“I go at least once and often twice a day. It is time when I switch off from footy.’’

His personality profile means he will always think before he acts.

It is why, even though he grew up with a tattoo artist for a father in a house where he says there were always heavily-inked visitors from around the world, he has never been tempted.

“I am a deep thinker, I was always thinking about the future and what if I changed and didn’t like it anymore,’’ he said.

“I am not the most spontaneous kind of guy, you look at the AFL and there are plenty of guys getting ink but I think for now I’ll stay a clean skin.’’

He is also prone to thinking after he acts, sometimes excessively when it comes to his footy, which is something coach Chris Fagan identified early in their relationship.

“I have had many chats to Fages about that,’’ he admitted.

“He urges me that when things happen on the footy field, if I miss a mark or a shot on goal, to not dwell on it too much and let it affect my confidence.

“It was changing of mindset for me, I used to look at contest and if I hadn’t marked it was a negative.

“Now if I bring it to ground it is a win, if I mark it, it is a bonus.’’
Probably the best insight into the man we have had his entire career. Very good to hear and of course Fages is the man you want with players like Dan who is clearly introverted and lacking in self-confidence.

Probably the best insight into the man we have had his entire career. Very good to hear and of course Fages is the man you want with players like Dan who is clearly introverted and lacking in self-confidence.
When he was missing those easy shots that it really affected him. Hopefully by just focusing on the team things his accuracy will get better as he realises it's no big deal.

Some guys are full of it and Dan is obviously more of a thinker. So I reckon this 3 year deal will give him a lot more confidence in his game.

When he was missing those easy shots that it really affected him. Hopefully by just focusing on the team things his accuracy will get better as he realises it's no big deal.

Some guys are full of it and Dan is obviously more of a thinker. So I reckon this 3 year deal will give him a lot more confidence in his game.

Anyone who thinks a lot worries a lot. Worrying is living in the future and not the present. The course of overthinking, can lead to anxiety which destroys confidence. Mediation should be Dan’s best friend and favorite pass time. Stay present and quieten the mind.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I love Dan. I still consider him basically a 3rd year key forward considering he has bounced between half-back flank key back and key forward over his time here. He's been a solid contributor this year but a structural necessity and next year is really primed to be his break out year as a goal scorer in my opinioin.

I love Dan. I still consider him basically a 3rd year key forward considering he has bounced between half-back flank key back and key forward over his time here. He's been a solid contributor this year but a structural necessity and next year is really primed to be his break out year as a goal scorer in my opinioin.
I like your post but gee I reckon he's got it in him to rise to it this year!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back