Dan Menzel

Remove this Banner Ad

I do realize, but I felt it better to ignore the fact that there's a team in the AFL who decided it was a great idea to play a 110kg, 198cm forward up the field.

You clearly didn’t know as you stated that Hawkins was a FF...he’s not

He plays further up the field to free up the forward line to allow the likes of Menzel to go one on one. It works as you can see there’s 2-3 defenders on Hawkins every time he’s contesting a mark n the forward line when he drops back.

Suppose Geelong can pay him closer to what his output is worth if he's on a one year contract, so he could do better out of it if he stays healthy.
Yeah that’s probably right. From all reports he’s on quite a low base salary but I’m sure he has a lot of performance clauses in there.

Read somewhere that Boomer was on 1 year contracts for most of his 30’s. So it happens.

Fair effort to maintain consistency for years following his return. We had a similar issue with Clay Smith after three knees. Got himself in good nick in time for the 2016 finals series but has really struggled since with form and ongoing knee trouble. Will probably see his career finish this year barring a change in luck.

that'd be a shame, made a big contribution throughout the 2016 finals series as you say ..

We don't need him to be a defensive fwd, we have others who can do that.

The guy has had 4 knee recos FFS. Let's refrain from comparing him to Darling et al, who are nowhere near him in terms of natural talent...

LOL wat? Natural talent lets you write your own ticket if you kick 70 or 80 goals a year, not 40 in a season once. We're talking about a guy who was dropped for the QF last year and has kicked 5 in a game twice. He's a good player but let's not get carried away. He doesn't need to be a defensive forward, but he needs to maintain a defensive aspect to his game.

LOL wat? Natural talent lets you write your own ticket if you kick 70 or 80 goals a year, not 40 in a season once. We're talking about a guy who was dropped for the QF last year and has kicked 5 in a game twice. He's a good player but let's not get carried away. He doesn't need to be a defensive forward, but he needs to maintain a defensive aspect to his game.

Less than 20 players in the AFL kicked 40 goals last season.

None kicked 70 in the regular season so don't be ridiculous

Drivel. Utter drivel.

We can’t ask him to do what his body says he cannot. So yes we can ask his teammates to cover this flaw.

And what exactly did Geelong achieve by dropping him for that QF last year? A defunct forward line and a kid called Zac Guthrie who fluffed it.

I believe it wasn’t the asking price but the number of years Menzel was looking for. Geelong never wanted to lose Menzel but offered him a 1 year contract. Menz said i’ll see what else I can get and could not better that. As Chris Scott said last night on AFL360 players with injury histories like Menzel will only be offered successive one year contracts.

After losing Motlop I was just so rapt Menzel stayed at Geelong
I call bullshit. We offered Wells 3 years. :moustache:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I call bullshit. We offered Wells 3 years. :moustache:
How many knee reconstructions has Wells had?

How many games has Wells played? 10 out of 26?

Also Collingwood is renowned for offering ridiculous contracts, e.g., Chris Mayne

Remember Cats didn't want him? hope he demands big coin.
That is 100% your spin on the reality. If Cats didn't want Menzel they would have delisted him. Offering one year contracts is not the same as "we don't want you anymore".

Last edited:
Was he ever touted as being a player of that calibre prior to his injuries... you know, given he was drafted as a rebounding defender?

Glad he has got over his injuries and playing good footy, but let's minimise the fake news...

Well his last 5 quarters of footy before he did his knee he kicked 7 goals against the top of the table pies (5) and a qualifying final vs the hawks(2 in first qtr). Kicked a few bags of 3 and 4 goals earlier in the year too. Pretty decent for his second season.

It will be interesting to see if the same policy is enforced for perenially injured types like Lincoln McCarthy, Scott Selwood and Corey Gregson.
Menzel has been phenomenal, great to watch.

This is our problem, we have too many of these players and you haven’t mentioned Cockatoo.
I like all these players but as a collective we are silly to have them all. Time to trade the ones who have value.
We kept Menzel, McCarthy and Cowan on our injury list for 5 years.... McCarthy is still on it. Just too much!

Drivel. Utter drivel.

We can’t ask him to do what his body says he cannot. So yes we can ask his teammates to cover this flaw.

It's not that complicated.

No one is saying he has to play like Puopolo or Jamie Cripps and target getting 80 tackles a year, but his lack of defensive intensity frames his rating and dollar value as a player. As I said he's a good player, but he's not a superstar of the comp. Footy has gone past guys just sitting in the goal square.

And what exactly did Geelong achieve by dropping him for that QF last year? A defunct forward line and a kid called Zac Guthrie who fluffed it.

Well Geelong got smoked in the inside 50s which is why they were flogged. I doubt Menzel would've helped with that.

It's not that complicated.

No one is saying he has to play like Puopolo or Jamie Cripps and target getting 80 tackles a year, but his lack of defensive intensity frames his rating and dollar value as a player. As I said he's a good player, but he's not a superstar of the comp. Footy has gone past guys just sitting in the goal square.

Well Geelong got smoked in the inside 50s which is why they were flogged. I doubt Menzel would've helped with that.
Disagree. Reckon if you look at how many times he gets the ball against his scoring rate he’d be pretty damaging.

This is our problem, we have too many of these players and you haven’t mentioned Cockatoo.
I like all these players but as a collective we are silly to have them all. Time to trade the ones who have value.
We kept Menzel, McCarthy and Cowan on our injury list for 5 years.... McCarthy is still on it. Just too much!

Should probably try to palm Cockatoo off while he still has some currency.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back