Dan26's idea to improve the AFL #1 : Play football on Good Friday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Dan26

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 23, 2000
Werribee
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
I'm going to post a series of ideas over the coming days and weeks, in no particular order of importance.

The first is football on Good Friday. I cannot for the life of me fathom why we do not play on this day. The NRL plays on Good Friday, as does the NBA, the EPL and a host of other sports.

Admittedly I am an atheist and I can't for the life of me work out why anyone would believe that an invisible man in the sky who had a love child, who was killed, is a reason for not having a footall match. But even if I was religious, what has that got to do with playing a football game? Can't those who are religious go and reflect, or do whatever it is you feel you need to do, anyway? You can go to church during the day and reflect, and then watch a footy game later that night, right?

You could even use the fact that the match would produce higher TV ratings from 7:30 -10:30 than the Good Friday appeal, to justify linking it to the appeal and produce more donations, due to more people watching.

It's just win-win all around as far as I can see.

Inb4 wednesday night football and knockout finals only

But yeah, I don't think too many people are opposed to footy on good friday. If it's some Melbourne charity appeal they're worried about, then just play 2 non Victorian teams on that day.

It is ridiculous to have no football on Good Friday - give it to North & Carlton for a couple of years and perhaps a non-Vic side home game as well in either a twilight/night game double-header or an arvo/night game split. The most boring day of the year bar none and I reckon out of most supporters who rock up on a weekly basis there would be hardly any that would go to church on a weekly basis let alone miss a game of footy for a sermon. Tie it in with the Appeal to raise some money for a good cause and it's a win/win situation.

For those people who are religious (as hard as it may be to believe these people do still knock about :eek:) nobody is stopping them from observing the day in their own fashion so why do they think they can force their beliefs onto the rest of the population? And you can forgot the argument that it's a religious holiday and if not for religion we'd be at work because if not for this holiday we would just have another secular holiday anyway. In some of the most religious countries in the world (at least in places like USA & Phillippines) they don't even observe Good Friday with a public holiday so why should Australia be denied a football game?

It doesn't look like it will change with Demetriou in charge (he is religious/Greek Orthodox?) but we should petition to get this day on the football calendar. Surely if a game can be played on ANZAC Day or even Easter Sunday for that matter, then Good Friday should be a gimme.

The most boring day of the year bar none

For those people who are religious (as hard as it may be to believe these people do still knock about :eek:) nobody is stopping them from observing the day in their own fashion so why do they think they can force their beliefs onto the rest of the population? .

go to work then

Its just pathetic that there are no AFL games on good friday FFS how important is it really to christians when they cant agree on a fixed date or different groups have on it different dates in the same year?.

I cant think of a more boring and waste of a day than good friday.

Bring on the footy our true religion!:D

Selective editing of my post does nothing to further your argument. Public holidays have nothing to do with religion, if we gave up Good Friday we would get another one, no big deal.

You'll have to remind me as to what my argument is.

If you're bored and don't want their beliefs forced onto the rest of the population you should go to work, ask for a day in lieu.

I'm going to post a series of ideas over the coming days and weeks, in no particular order of importance.

The first is football on Good Friday. I cannot for the life of me fathom why we do not play on this day. The NRL plays on Good Friday, as does the NBA, the EPL and a host of other sports.

Admittedly I am an atheist and I can't for the life of me work out why anyone would believe that an invisible man in the sky who had a love child, who was killed, is a reason for not having a footall match. But even if I was religious, what has that got to do with playing a football game? Can't those who are religious go and reflect, or do whatever it is you feel you need to do, anyway? You can go to church during the day and reflect, and then watch a footy game later that night, right?

You could even use the fact that the match would produce higher TV ratings from 7:30 -10:30 than the Good Friday appeal, to justify linking it to the appeal and produce more donations, due to more people watching.

It's just win-win all around as far as I can see.

couldn't agree more... sometimes i wish the afl would read this forum, the afl would be so much better off

If you're bored and don't want their beliefs forced onto the rest of the population you should go to work, ask for a day in lieu.

Mate don't get me wrong, I'm happy to kick back and celebrate the death of jesus I just don't see why we can't play footy on the day as well.

A North v Carlton home game would be perfect. Good for North to make a bit of money. Perhaps play it in the late afternoon/twilight. I am sure this will come in very soon (along with Monday night footy and night grand finals)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back