Bumped Dane Swan.

Remove this Banner Ad

EAFC Denoz

Debutant
Apr 10, 2004
AFL Club
Melbourne
How does everybody rate young Dane Swan. I'm a huge fan of his football, Yes he needs a little more work on his kicking (on target and such) but he clearly has the skills and heart to become a starting 22 player at Collingwood.

Does anybody else here rate Swanie?

I beleive he played his fourth game up at Brisbane, last thursday night. I hope there is plenty more for him.

Originally posted by EAFC Denoz
How does everybody rate young Dane Swan. I'm a huge fan of his football, Yes he needs a little more work on his kicking (on target and such) but he clearly has the skills and heart to become a starting 22 player at Collingwood.

Does anybody else here rate Swanie?

I beleive he played his fourth game up at Brisbane, last thursday night. I hope there is plenty more for him.
The only problem I personally had with him was his disposal skills. Last Thursday night was the best I have seen him kick so hopefully that will mean he has worked on that area. Overall I see him being a good honest player for the Magpies.

The Scandinavian Swan is an interesting case.
He is versatile and seems to have it all. The only real weakness he has is his inside game but it isn't anything to worry about.
The problem is he doesn't exceed in any area. While he may be good at just about everything (speed, skill, marking, ball getting) it is hard to see in what area he will excell in.
This is why many people have been saying he hasn't got any "weapons". For example, Shacks weapon is his inside ball getting, Nixon's endurance and work in traffic, C.Cloke's strength and attack at the ball, Zane Leonards speed.
However it is likely he can become a good senior player to us.
Perhaps he can develop a few weapons.

Swan's weapon is a level head. At AFL level, it's an asset. He finds the ball OK, usually as a link-man, and uses it OK.

As was my argument last year, when one considers that we have been forced to carry a host of duds over recent years, I think we can afford to "carry" Swan.

"Carrying" guys who make tidy decisions, hit the double digits in posessions and can kick the ball through the sticks, is exactly what we need at the minute.

Sure, he ain't gonna be a superstar, but he's gonna be OK. He can fill voids. For example, Johnno or Richie or Shaw can move up to a wing. He might prove to be a better half-forward option than O'Bree or Davis.

I have the same quiet confidence for Swan, that I had with Scotland. There are folks that can play the top level of footy, whilst not exhibiting any extraordinary talents/gifts. I think Swanny's one of them.

To me Scotland and Swan are almost exactly the same, except Heath had better skills.

Scotland is sitll one of my Fav Players, but i've always been a Big Fan of Mr Swan. He will make it at AFL level and i beleive hen will contribute well to teh side for the next ten years.

What he Showed at Brisbane was - He can kick at Goal, he has a level Head and Ain't afraid to go for the Ball. This is exactly what we need because this is exactly what we lack most, in most players.

Another medium paced trundler. I liked his game on Thursday. It's the first game of his I have liked but he hasn't played many. I was impressed but at the end of the day he doesn't add much to the mix IMO. If he improved a fair but and does it quickly I might get more excited. i would definately go with Swan ahead of O'Bree until we know exactly what we have with him.

im a fan of swannie, he looked good against brissie, had a real crack, decent skills etc, although (as some have mentioned already) i was under the impression he wasnt the best by foot
keep him in the senior side, continue to develop him, his game the other night was excellent compared to a few others
it will be good to see how some of these younger guys go when they get a chance this season, or next...

I've said a few times, he hasn't put a foot wrong when he's played seniors. Doesn't look out of his depth like some, last Thursday was no suprise to me. The question though is can he be more than just another 'Rupe' cos we all know what happened to Rupe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Lockyer24
...I've said a few times, he hasn't put a foot wrong when he's played seniors. Doesn't look out of his depth like some...

Round 22 last year when the presure was on , review the tapes and see what happend.

yeah was impressed by him last year against the doggies i think it was. seems to have slipped under a lot of our supporters radiors. was rapt to see him get a chance thursday and was again impressed. looking forward to more of it ...

interesting comments made after his fourth game, just goes to show that we can judge players to early
in their career. time is needed

interesting comments made after his fourth game, just goes to show that we can judge players to early
in their career. time is needed
And people wonder why some of us get frustrated when players are written off after less than 10 games...

And people wonder why some of us get frustrated when players are written off after less than 10 games...
yes l don't get how any one can make a judgement even in the first season of a player, for most it takes time and patient's

I really liked Jabso back in the day, genuine quality poster. But this is just comedically fantastic with the benefit of hindsight:

This is why many people have been saying he hasn't got any "weapons". For example, Shacks weapon is his inside ball getting, Nixon's endurance and work in traffic, C.Cloke's strength and attack at the ball, Zane Leonards speed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back