Bumped Dane Swan.

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not saying Maynard will be the next Swan, but ffs can the Maynard haters read this thread and realise how stupid they will look like 5 years.
This is so true, however there is a big inconsistency when comparing the two at similar stages.
I don't think at Maynard's stage of his career you could doubt his commitment, this is a stark contrast to Swan at the same time. Swan's attitude change was the catalyst to him stepping it up, he didn't just all of a sudden develop talent.

I am looking forward to Maynard's career developing.

This is so true, however there is a big inconsistency when comparing the two at similar stages.
I don't think at Maynard's stage of his career you could doubt his commitment, this is a stark contrast to Swan at the same time. Swan's attitude change was the catalyst to him stepping it up, he didn't just all of a sudden develop talent.

I am looking forward to Maynard's career developing.
Also Swan ws pretty mediocre for the first couple of years so maynard is actaully ahead of him comparing careers. having said that the chances of Maynard or jsut about anyone getting as good as Swan are very small, he was an amazing player perhaps even better than Bucks. IF not injured this year and got in decent form, I think we would have made the 8.

Sure, he ain't gonna be a superstar, but he's gonna be OK. He can fill voids. For example, Johnno or Richie or Shaw can move up to a wing. He might prove to be a better half-forward option than O'Bree or Davis.

I have the same quiet confidence for Swan, that I had with Scotland. There are folks that can play the top level of footy, whilst not exhibiting any extraordinary talents/gifts. I think Swanny's one of them.

This guy couldn't have been more wrong haha

I opened BF this morning, saw a bump of an ancient thread, was annoyed and about to close it and maybe PM the culprit who bumped it, in a fit of moderator self-righteousness...and then I read it. A worthy bump and a lesson in patience!

As others have said there really is a lesson in this thread those early posts could easily be about any of our current lads eg, Aish,Adams,Maynard,Sinkers etc patience is the answer top bump Chief

And people wonder why some of us get frustrated when players are written off after less than 10 games...
Some get written off with less than 10 minutes

Elite talent.
Once he got his focus on football right (ie getting fully fit) with his unique personality, he bloomed to elite level super star.
Great career.

Patience will be rewarded

Also Swan ws pretty mediocre for the first couple of years so maynard is actaully ahead of him comparing careers. having said that the chances of Maynard or jsut about anyone getting as good as Swan are very small, he was an amazing player perhaps even better than Bucks. IF not injured this year and got in decent form, I think we would have made the 8.
He was a massive loss, big hole to fill at his worst he is good for mid 20's but could also bring the rest of the team along for the ride.

I really liked Jabso back in the day, genuine quality poster. But this is just comedically fantastic with the benefit of hindsight:

This is why many people have been saying he hasn't got any "weapons". For example, Shacks weapon is his inside ball getting, Nixon's endurance and work in traffic, C.Cloke's strength and attack at the ball, Zane Leonards speed.
I don't think it was as unfair as hindsight makes it seem. I don't think by 2004 that Swan had showed exactly how much of a burst player he could be and the others were drafted for a reason, albeit with glaring deficiencies that meant they never made the grade.

Think Jabso's critique was pretty fair, he didn't write Swan off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think it was as unfair as hindsight makes it seem. I don't think by 2004 that Swan had showed exactly how much of a burst player he could be and the others were drafted for a reason, albeit with glaring deficiencies that meant they never made the grade.

Think Jabso's critique was pretty fair, he didn't write Swan off.
Lol. To paraphrase - the problem with Dane Swan is that he hasn't got any weapons unlike Luke Shackleton, Bo Nixon, Cameron Cloke and Zane Leonard.

To be fair Swan was questionable early in his career and nearly got the arse. He was hanging by a thread much the same walk Tarrant was early in his career. You can only call it as you see it season by season.

I still remember watching Dane Swan's first games... he was a bit stiff the timing he came in... he started the same time Nathan Buckley was at his Brownlow winning peak so a lot of people were pretty much comparing Dane's kicking to Nathan's because we all knew Buckley wouldn't be around forever and Dane was his protege... early Dane Swan compared to experienced Nathan Buckley was almost depressing to watch but time proved that they come in all shapes and sizes and not to judge a book by it's cover... Swanny's great weapon was just being in the right spot at the right time better than anyone I've ever seen.

Don't think anyone could have reasonably predicted the heights that Swanny would reach in his footy career 12 years ago, so it's a good lesson to show some patience and not be too hasty in writing a young player off.
The same in reverse too, let's not build young players up too much - they might not reach the star status some want to bestow on them.

Don't think anyone could have reasonably predicted the heights that Swanny would reach in his footy career 12 years ago, so it's a good lesson to show some patience and not be too hasty in writing a young player off.
The same in reverse too, let's not build young players up too much - they might not reach the star status some want to bestow on them.

I'd say that he gelled well with his coach and the coach understood him too.

Swan's weapon is a level head. At AFL level, it's an asset. He finds the ball OK, usually as a link-man, and uses it OK.

As was my argument last year, when one considers that we have been forced to carry a host of duds over recent years, I think we can afford to "carry" Swan.

"Carrying" guys who make tidy decisions, hit the double digits in posessions and can kick the ball through the sticks, is exactly what we need at the minute.

Sure, he ain't gonna be a superstar, but he's gonna be OK. He can fill voids. For example, Johnno or Richie or Shaw can move up to a wing. He might prove to be a better half-forward option than O'Bree or Davis.

I have the same quiet confidence for Swan, that I had with Scotland. There are folks that can play the top level of footy, whilst not exhibiting any extraordinary talents/gifts. I think Swanny's one of them.
I admit when I am wrong; he was a superstar!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back