Analysis Danger + Kerridge VS Milera + Menzel + Gore

winning

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Let's be honest, the Geelong plan will only work if they win a premiership within the next 3 years. If not, they've pissed away good draft picks over 2 years, we all know how far that can set you back.

They'll need to rebuild an entire backline starting 2017, do they have the cattle? No but they've managed to get cockatoo instead of targeting Lever. Baha.
Yeh but that's just a bitter Crows supporters' view.

Any side (ours included) would've done what Geelong did.

We only made it work because we hit Wayne Milera. We'd look like right d1cks if we drafted a pleb.

That isn't the question SC, the question is - "Does he make the team better than Danger", that is the bit people struggle with. PD is so blindingly exciting that the negatives he brings get washed away in the applause. People need to stop looking at the individual.

Not much recently though is there?

Since 2010 we have drafted (excluding round 1 picks):

Luke Thompson
Rory Laird
Rory Atkins
Kyle Hartigan
Matt Crouch
Riley Knight
Charlie Cameron
Mitch McGovern

That is a big part of our current team.

Our round 1 picks of Milera, Doedee, Lever, Brad Crouch, Brodie Smith over that time would stack up fairly well against Geelong. And that was with draft sanctions in two of those years.

One thing is for sure ... Geelong had better hope that PD brings the premiership that Cats fans expect in the next couple of years, because the selling of future first round picks catches up with you eventually, especially if you need to rebuild.

I spent most of the pre-season being laughed off the "AFL" board by every Geelong and Power supporter around ... for saying that Adelaide might be better without Danger - than they were with him. Was called the "most ridiculous post on BF ever". I'm comfortable that we are a better team this year, and that is before we see the best of Milera / Menzel / Gore ... that is as of right now. Has PD made Geelong a better team? Who knows, we will find out in the weeks and months and years to come. I haven't seen anything in 2016 that has convinced me about them being a top 4 team like so many predicted. Nada.

I agree

I also thought with his speed bring a main attribute, he was only ever going to get slower

Thought through the Walsh tragedy he might have stayed but not unhappy to see him go. He owed us nothing after last year but it seems it's not just us that think it's a win / win scenario

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...15b2b982d?sv=c2f2ce943c1a2356153fddd93be69592

DUAL Magarey Medallist and former Crow Andrew Jarman says Patrick Dangerfield did Adelaide “the biggest favour” by leaving.

Jarman made the startling claim on his TripleM radio show last night.

“Here’s something I’m going to officially sign off on ... the Crows are a better team without Paddy Dangerfield,” he said.

“The way the boys have been tracking these last three weeks, they’ve got a complete buy-in to Don Pyke’s game plan.

“Their structures are a lot more disciplined at the stoppages, where with Dangerfield it was all about ‘me, me, me’

The thing going massively into Geelong's favour this year is their piss easy draw. They could not miss the top 8 even if they tried. It was labeled as the easier draw of all team along with Essendon who will struggle for other well known reasons.

As for Jarman, I just cannot take this guy serious. He is a clown, always has been and always will be. Who is to say that we wouldn't even be better with Dangerfield in the team than we are now? Who is to say that Dangerfield wouldn't have bought into Don Pyke's plan.

One thing is certain, Danger is a pro and would have bought in the game plan without any reservation. I don't buy this rubbish that we are better off without Dangerfield. Add Dangerfield to our current team and what we have is a top 4 side and a premiership contender. Nothing out there suggests that we wouldn't have recruited Seedsman and Hampton given that we targeted them a long way out. The only uncertainty would have been whether or not we would have had the currency for Menzel and it's almost certain we wouldn't have Milera and Gore on our list. Everything else regarding out side at the moment would still have been done even if Dangerfield stayed with us.

The thing going massively into Geelong's favour this year is their piss easy draw. They could not miss the top 8 even if they tried. It was labeled as the easier draw of all team along with Essendon who will struggle for other well known reasons.

As for Jarman, I just cannot take this guy serious. He is a clown, always has been and always will be. Who is to say that we wouldn't even be better with Dangerfield in the team than we are now? Who is to say that Dangerfield wouldn't have bought into Don Pyke's plan.

One thing is certain, Danger is a pro and would have bought in the game plan without any reservation. I don't buy this rubbish that we are better off without Dangerfield. Add Dangerfield to our current team and what we have is a top 4 side and a premiership contender. Nothing out there suggests that we wouldn't have recruited Seedsman and Hampton given that we targeted them a long way out. The only uncertainty would have been whether or not we would have had the currency for Menzel and it's almost certain we wouldn't have Milera and Gore on our list. Everything else regarding out side at the moment would still have been done even if Dangerfield stayed with us.

Its a difficult one but there is an obvious difference between the way we played with Dangerfield. I do think team mates and coaches can get blinded by a star in the side and that they will over rely on them. I am not convinced we would be playing this game plan with Danger due to his see ball get ball crash and bash style of game. He is a great player but I think him leaving has freed up the Crows mindset.

Sorry mate but you are way over-valuing Kedge there. He is not very composed, he is not very physical, his disposal is only average. Watching him play for Carlton has shown me exactly why he didn't get many games for the Crows.

No way in hell Kedge has ever had anything like Sloane's level in his reach, and he never will.

Bullshit!

The reason he didn't get games regularly were Dangerfield, Thompson, Sloane, Douglas, *Brad Crouch* and more recently Matt Crouch not to mention injuries at the most inopportune times, Kerridge is clearly superior at this time to guys currently on our list that play similar roles CEY, Lyons, van Berlo, Grigg and Gore, and will always be with the possible exception of Dean Gore.

The fact that Carlton supporters almost without exception disagree with your assessment says it all.

Bullshit!

The reason he didn't get games regularly were Dangerfield, Thompson, Sloane, Douglas, *Brad Crouch* and more recently Matt Crouch not to mention injuries at the most inopportune times, Kerridge is clearly superior at this time to guys currently on our list that play similar roles CEY, Lyons, van Berlo, Grigg and Gore, and will always be with the possible exception of Dean Gore.

The fact that Carlton supporters almost without exception disagree with your assessment says it all.
Fact is he was in that group of players and couldn't make his way into the team, he does have poor disposal but is a great athlete. The turnover he produced in the last quarter of the round one game was shocking and cost the blues any chance of winning... I know who I'd have lining up agaist the Swanettes next week if he was still at the club out of him and Milera...how about you?[/QUOTE]

Fact is he was in that group of players and couldn't make his way into the team, he does have poor disposal but is a great athlete. The turnover he produced in the last quarter of the round one game was shocking and cost the blues any chance of winning... I know who I'd have lining up agaist the Swanettes next week if he was still at the club out of him and Milera...how about you?

WTF has Milera got to do with it??

And I'd much prefer the hard body and aggresion of Kerridge over Lyons this week against the big, hard bodied Swans midfielders btw.

And I disagree with the poor disposal bit too, you identify one "clanger" instance to support your agenda, using that kind of analogy Brodie Smith has poor disposal after a couple of his "clangers" this season, as do any of our players that cause a turnover that leads to goal.

WTF has Milera got to do with it??

And I'd much prefer the hard body and aggresion of Kerridge over Lyons this week against the big, hard bodied Swans midfielders btw.

And I disagree with the poor disposal bit too, you identify one "clanger" instance to support your agenda, using that kind of analogy Brodie Smith has poor disposal after a couple of his "clangers" this season, as do any of our players that cause a turnover that leads to goal.
Referring to your post on page 28 stating kerridge is the far superior player to Milera, and stop the ******* press! yes gun players also make clangers but said guns are guns because well they win games of their own boot.
And Kerridge ain't Brodie Smith you twit
I dont have an agenda unlike youself, some people just say it as it is because well, we have ******* eyes!!

Referring to your post on page 28 stating kerridge is the far superior player to Milera, and stop the ******* press! yes gun players also make clangers but said guns are guns because well they win games of their own boot.
And Kerridge ain't Brodie Smith you twit
I dont have an agenda unlike youself, some people just say it as it is because well, we have ******* eyes!!

Excuse me...
That would be pretty clever seeing as I never posted on page 28 at all and nowhere have I said Kerridge is a far superior player to Milera, it's you that needs to open your ******* eyes .

And for the record Kerridge is averaging 2.7 clangers a game in 2016, Brodie Smith 3.7

Brodie was only used as an example because it was claimed Kerridge has "poor disposal" which is not correct, everyone knows Brodie is a superior player and a better kick too but even "good" kicks make the odd clanger just like Kerridge did in the game you quoted.....that does not mean the player has generally poor disposal.

BTW if you can find where as you allege I said "Kerridge is a superior player to Milera" I'm quite happy for you to produce said quote.

Excuse me...
That would be pretty clever seeing as I never posted on page 28 at all and nowhere have I said Kerridge is a far superior player to Milera, it's you that needs to open your ******* eyes .

And for the record Kerridge is averaging 2.7 clangers a game in 2016, Brodie Smith 3.7

Brodie was only used as an example because it was claimed Kerridge has "poor disposal" which is not correct, everyone knows Brodie is a superior player and a better kick too but even "good" kicks make the odd clanger just like Kerridge did in the game you quoted.....that does not mean the player has generally poor disposal.

BTW if you can find where as you allege I said "Kerridge is a superior player to Milera" I'm quite happy for you to produce said quote.
Post 720
I stated Milera already has him covered as a player. You refuted this saying ' that's way over the top'
Is that not saying kedge is the superior player by some margin?
And just stop with the Smith comparison mate your embarrassing yourself.
Is your agenda trying to confuse people with clanger stats?
How about you compare metres gained and possesions then... or doesn't that fit your little argument

Let's be honest, the Geelong plan will only work if they win a premiership within the next 3 years. If not, they've pissed away good draft picks over 2 years, we all know how far that can set you back.

They'll need to rebuild an entire backline starting 2017, do they have the cattle? No but they've managed to get cockatoo instead of targeting Lever. Baha.
All being equal I still think I would have done what they've done

You might as well have a crack when you can and they are giving it one last crack - commend them for that

I hope we pull the trigger in the next few years and not keep trying to build for 3 years ahead when our time is coming now

Keridge is a solid player with no upside,
Milera has him coverered pretty much already, can do more damage with ten touches than keridge does with 40

:rolleyes:
So by saying

"Now that's way over the top...."

in reply to the above post specifically to the ridiculous suggestion "Milera can do more damage with ten touches than Kerridge does with 40" by you equates to me saying that Kerridge is a superior player to Milera.....

Now that's what I call drawing a long bow......

Last edited:
I agree

I also thought with his speed bring a main attribute, he was only ever going to get slower

Thought through the Walsh tragedy he might have stayed but not unhappy to see him go. He owed us nothing after last year but it seems it's not just us that think it's a win / win scenario

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...15b2b982d?sv=c2f2ce943c1a2356153fddd93be69592

DUAL Magarey Medallist and former Crow Andrew Jarman says Patrick Dangerfield did Adelaide “the biggest favour” by leaving.

Jarman made the startling claim on his TripleM radio show last night.

“Here’s something I’m going to officially sign off on ... the Crows are a better team without Paddy Dangerfield,” he said.

“The way the boys have been tracking these last three weeks, they’ve got a complete buy-in to Don Pyke’s game plan.

“Their structures are a lot more disciplined at the stoppages, where with Dangerfield it was all about ‘me, me, me’
i wish Jarman would shut up - he's the eternal jinx

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That seems right. Plantar fasciitis is hardly going to be career ending: it's a self-correcting condition.
My mistake with the plantar fasciitis thingy it was a navicular injury that would not heal.....and Matthew Egan was indeed a very good footballer before being struck down as making the AA team would suggest.

As was shown in another thread, yes, you have increased a little bit in contested ball gets, but you have gone down in disposal efficiency. As Tom Richardson put in his touch of the fumbles article the other week, the commentators were mystified about Danger's blind kicks into the forward line against the GWS - it was like they had never seen him pull on a footy guernsey before. He is a contested ball beast, but his disposal is not at the level it should be to be for an elite player. Disposal efficiency wins you premierships. Just check with Hawthorn. We have increased dramatically our disposal efficiency from last year.

It wasn't us that made it as if everything rests on Danger's shoulders. Just look at the continual fapping from the media AND the PR from your own club.
The thing about danger is he's not a saviour like the media likes to portray and kingy ' losing him will cost the crows 4 wins '

On the flip side he is a much better and valuable player than what some bigfooty crows supporters are happy to admit

As always the truth is somewhere in the middle

If we could have attained Milera and kept danger while not grabbing Menzel we would be in a better place to strike for a flag sooner

We can still push towards a tilt but it's less easy without danger

Hard to argue with that in my mind

But we are in a position to forge on thankfully

As for the cats they've gone from no chance to some chance so can't deny they have done the right thing for their SHORT term ambitions

:rolleyes:
So by saying

"Now that's way over the top...."

in reply to the above post specifically to the ridiculous suggestion "Milera can do more damage with ten touches than Kerridge does with 40" by you equates to me saying that Kerridge is a superior player to Milera.....

Now that's what I call drawing a long bow......
Qaulity players dont need many possesions to cut up a team,
If you havent learned that yet then your just a stats man really
Does eddie need 40 to win a game himself. No 15 or 20 an he's nalied five and given off a handfull too
Fifteen or 20 from a say a Van Berlo will give you 5 clangers and a world of heartache:)

It's pointless to debate a hypothetical because no one will have the answers.

But I wouldn't write off the idea that getting rid of a very good, very self-centred type player can help add to a team culture. There was, undeniably, a lot of "leave it to Danger" going on in matches. Not to say our other players were lazy, they were just used to him stepping up (or not, at times). They can't do that anymore. Other players have to start getting involved when our backs are to the wall.

There's also the thought that with a player like Danger in there, Pyke might have had other ideas. Our gameplan had to change to accommodate his absence. You turn that into a strength, and why the heck can't you make the argument Jarman is? But as I said, pointless anyway. :)

Like most footy fans, I rate Rory Sloane very highly. Was hoping kerridge would develop into a Sloane type player for Carlton. I stated earlier that 5% improvement was required, but I feel he is on the way.

Stats aren't everything, but Kerridge is defiantly doing what's required atm.
http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...d1=3150&tid2=4&pid2=3665&type=A&fid1=S&fid2=S
Kerridge has the ability to be a solid player in a bottom side, Sloane is a proven elite midfielder

It's pointless to debate a hypothetical because no one will have the answers.

But I wouldn't write off the idea that getting rid of a very good, very self-centred type player can help add to a team culture. There was, undeniably, a lot of "leave it to Danger" going on in matches. Not to say our other players were lazy, they were just used to him stepping up (or not, at times). They can't do that anymore. Other players have to start getting involved when our backs are to the wall.

There's also the thought that with a player like Danger in there, Pyke might have had other ideas. Our gameplan had to change to accommodate his absence. You turn that into a strength, and why the heck can't you make the argument Jarman is? But as I said, pointless anyway. :)
AKA Lance Franklin and Hawthorn....

Kerridge has the ability to be a solid player in a bottom side, Sloane is a proven elite midfielder

He already is a solid player in a bottom side.

Big 'IF' but if kerridge improves by 5% he will be a 25 disposal, multiple goals per game week in week out mid.

He already is a solid player in a bottom side.

Big 'IF' but if kerridge improves by 5% he will be a 25 disposal, multiple goals per game week in week out mid.
If my Auntie had balls she'd be my Uncle too.
Multiple goals week in week out? Pretty unlikely he's gonna have a 50 - 60 goal season I'd say

If my Auntie had balls she'd be my Uncle too.
Multiple goals week in week out? Pretty unlikely he's gonna have a 50 - 60 goal season I'd say

He's had opportunities to kick multiple goals in all games this year. Set shots.

He has a nack of finding the ball in the f50, he just needs to finish.

Back