Analysis Danger + Kerridge VS Milera + Menzel + Gore

winning

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

People did say the same about Judd, but Kennedy has gone on to arguably become the best forward the Eagles have ever had.

If Milera becomes a gun it'll be hard to argue that we didn't break even

Judd to his credit was not a campaigner and ensured as a champion and well respected player of the Eagles that they received adequate compensation.

Danger only wanted to go to the Cats and was prepared to screw us in the process if no deal could be reached.

Seems to me the question is would we trade Milera, Gore and Menzel back for Danger and Kerridge right now.
The answer would have to be yes for me but by a lot slimmer margin than when we first did the deal. And I have to say that as great as it would be to see Danger out there again I would feel genuine pain every time I saw Milera in someone else's Guernsey in that scenario. I am also really quite gung ho about Menzel and Gore and am looking forward to seeing them over a few games.
One other point that I think is relevant is whether we will see some of our second tier midfielders improve purely because Danger isn't there. As brilliant a player as he is, he must be hard to play alongside of as he tends to do it all himself and doesn't bring teammates into the game a lot. I fully expect to see Danger and Selwood fighting each other over the same footy quite often.

Seems to me the question is would we trade Milera, Gore and Menzel back for Danger and Kerridge right now.
The answer would have to be yes for me but by a lot slimmer margin than when we first did the deal. And I have to say that as great as it would be to see Danger out there again I would feel genuine pain every time I saw Milera in someone else's Guernsey in that scenario. I am also really quite gung ho about Menzel and Gore and am looking forward to seeing them over a few games.
One other point that I think is relevant is whether we will see some of our second tier midfielders improve purely because Danger isn't there. As brilliant a player as he is, he must be hard to play alongside of as he tends to do it all himself and doesn't bring teammates into the game a lot. I fully expect to see Danger and Selwood fighting each other over the same footy quite often.
Right now i agree we'd take them back. In 3 years time though..... we may be ahead

It does become an interesting question now that we have had a peek at Milera. Just 18, SA lad and looks pure class.

Danger turns 26 just after the season starts so if we take 30 as an average, Geelong get 5 years.

Milera turns 19 at the end of the season, so we get 13 years of him.

We will get similar from Gore who looks handy without being at the others level.

So I reckon we could have got another 100 games or so out of Danger, but we are likely to get 250 out of Milera. It's possible we get the same from Gore.

The wild card in all of this is Menzel. Anyone's guess what will happen with him. Let's say we get 100 good quality games from him.

Trade looks ok at the moment imo.

It does become an interesting question now that we have had a peek at Milera. Just 18, SA lad and looks pure class.

Danger turns 26 just after the season starts so if we take 30 as an average, Geelong get 5 years.

Milera turns 19 at the end of the season, so we get 13 years of him.

We will get similar from Gore who looks handy without being at the others level.

So I reckon we could have got another 100 games or so out of Danger, but we are likely to get 250 out of Milera. It's possible we get the same from Gore.

The wild card in all of this is Menzel. Anyone's guess what will happen with him. Let's say we get 100 good quality games from him.

Trade looks ok at the moment imo.
We also did give up a pick in the 50s and Kerridge. If Kerridge ends up with a good career then that comes into it

We also did give up a pick in the 50s and Kerridge. If Kerridge ends up with a good career then that comes into it
What's interesting is that the 3rd rounder we traded to Geelong ended up back in GWS's hands which they used to match our bid for Harry himmelberg. Thereby leaving us to pick up doedee.

So himmelberg vs doedee will be interesting to track.

I thought at the time it was a nice sweetener to give Geelong our 3rd rounder. Wonder if we would do that again knowing it would be used to match our bid.

What's interesting is that the 3rd rounder we traded to Geelong ended up back in GWS's hands which they used to match our bid for Harry himmelberg. Thereby leaving us to pick up doedee.

I thought at the time it was a nice sweetener to give Geelong our 3rd rounder. Wonder if we would do that again knowing it would be used to match our bid.
If it wasn't our pick GWS would have got their hand on another one to use

They will probs match up on each other at some stage

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But why did they need a sweetener for the privilege of taking our best player off our hands? I would have thought that's as sweet as it gets.

But you do raise an interesting point re Himmelberg. Could they have matched without that pick?

... But you do raise an interesting point re Himmelberg. Could they have matched without that pick?

Yes, GWS had enough picks up their sleeve to match a bid on Flynn at pick 41 and presumably they would have prioritised Himmelberg so would have gotten Him (hey, a pun!) regardless but pick 50 certainly allowed them to pick up Flynn as well.

Danger & Selwood. Double blood rule

IMG_0193.jpg

Judd to his credit was not a campaigner and ensured as a champion and well respected player of the Eagles that they received adequate compensation.

Danger only wanted to go to the Cats and was prepared to screw us in the process if no deal could be reached.

I don't necessarily agree and I don't really see the difference.

Judd nominated Carlton as his club of choice and at the time it was felt that Carlton paid unders for Judd. Carlton somehow managed to keep pick 1 and ended up trading pick 3,20 and Josh Kennedy (who was a raw but promising forward) for Judd and pick 46. At the time pretty much everyone believed that West Coast got bent over and Carlton got a bargain. The only thing that prevented Carlton from screwing the Eagles was that Richmond had the number 1 pick in the PSD and would have taken Judd so Carlton had no choice but to trade for Judd.

By all reports Dangerfield wanted Adelaide to be compensated. Geelong had the option to try and offer a deal that we weren't prepared to match, but rather than doing that they went straight down the path of doing a deal with us. I actually think there a lot in common between both scenarios.

Hopefully Milera can turn out to be our trade equivalent of Josh Kennedy.

We've lost one of the best players in the comp - we didn't get fair value in the trade (whatever the reason); it's extremely unlikely that we come anywhere close to breaking even.

******* Dangerfield - I hate him now; because I loved him before.

What's odd is embracing Geelong and the players almost as if we didn't exist. I thought he was more than that but I suppose you change clubs, put the new guernsey on and basically say, "I've moved on, screw you all, see my poster". I couldn't do it.

People did say the same about Judd, but Kennedy has gone on to arguably become the best forward the Eagles have ever had.

If Milera becomes a gun it'll be hard to argue that we didn't break even

Milera is a space creator. I think his transition to the highest level will be quite easy for him. Obviously fitness will be a key issue as a first year player. But as long as he's got the power in his legs for a full game, he'll make a meaningful impact this year.

We didn't really play Kedge and we retain Grigg, CEY and Lyons plus Gore. I reckon that Kedge will be great for the blues and I reckon his skill set, fitness and height make him a good player. Given we didn't play him we probably did ok in that trade in terms of us bringing in genuine high level talent. Let's just hope Menzel can get fit in terms of being injury free and aerobically.

We didn't really play Kedge and we retain Grigg, CEY and Lyons plus Gore. I reckon that Kedge will be great for the blues and I reckon his skill set, fitness and height make him a good player. Given we didn't play him we probably did ok in that trade in terms of us bringing in genuine high level talent. Let's just hope Menzel can get fit in terms of being injury free and aerobically.
I know, but if he turns out a very good player that's a very good player we gave away without choosing to play him.

I hope he does very well at the Blues because he seems a good bloke who we didn't give opportunities too.

I also think we did well if Menzel comes on but we do need to take into account all the pieces of the trade.

Last edited:
Reminds me of Buckley at the pies. Didn't have a tendency to bring other players into the game. I think danger is the same in that regard

I actually believe that we shouldn't be assessing the transaction from player vs player

For me it will be more about were we a better and more balanced team with or without Danger
Of course you would, one method is measurable and the other is subjective.

Back