Analysis Danger + Kerridge VS Milera + Menzel + Gore

winning

• Total voters
Both methods are subjective.
Agree, I should have just called it as it is. TSR will use any method necessary to discount that PD moving to Cats may end up with the Cats winning the trade. Sorry mate, Sunday morning politeness gone awry.

Big Gazoongas

Cancelled
May 18, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don't necessarily agree and I don't really see the difference.

Judd nominated Carlton as his club of choice and at the time it was felt that Carlton paid unders for Judd. Carlton somehow managed to keep pick 1 and ended up trading pick 3,20 and Josh Kennedy (who was a raw but promising forward) for Judd and pick 46. At the time pretty much everyone believed that West Coast got bent over and Carlton got a bargain. The only thing that prevented Carlton from screwing the Eagles was that Richmond had the number 1 pick in the PSD and would have taken Judd so Carlton had no choice but to trade for Judd.

By all reports Dangerfield wanted Adelaide to be compensated. Geelong had the option to try and offer a deal that we weren't prepared to match, but rather than doing that they went straight down the path of doing a deal with us. I actually think there a lot in common between both scenarios.

Hopefully Milera can turn out to be our trade equivalent of Josh Kennedy.

It had been reported that Carlton were trying to screw the Eagles in the Judd trade. That was their first strategy until Judd told them to complete a fair trade.

Anyway it seems all the clubs were happy with the outcome of trades given the circumstances.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
I know, but if he turns out a very good player that's a very good player we gave away without choosing to play him.

I hope he does very well at the Blues because he seems a good bloke who we didn't give opportunities too.

I also think we did well if Menzel comes on but we do need to take into account all the pieces of the trade.

No doubt he should have played more. Although my memory is that he was also a bit like Martin in that he seemed to be unlucky and get injured at inopportune times. He should have played late last year but with the pressure of finals the selectors were always going with the guys they trust and the faux speed provided by Mackay. I'm not sure we actively traded out Kedge though. Didn't we have a deal on the table but he'd been offerred a lot more at Carlton plus almost certain game time. I think we had to make the best of the situation, even if Menzel can't turn it around we at least aimed for the stars instead of looking for solid citizen and decent 16th-26th type player.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Agree, I should have just called it as it is. TSR will use any method necessary to discount that PD moving to Cats may end up with the Cats winning the trade. Sorry mate, Sunday morning politeness gone awry.

Cats won the trade, surely not in doubt. Gore will have to very, very good and it effectively would have needed to be certain at the time. Bringing in on-trading or selections is irrelevant. Trading pick 2 for pick 1 is a trade win every day of the week, even if you select a Jack Watts with 1 and Buddy goes at 2.

Aug 13, 2006
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
What's odd is embracing Geelong and the players almost as if we didn't exist. I thought he was more than that but I suppose you change clubs, put the new guernsey on and basically say, "I've moved on, screw you all, see my poster". I couldn't do it.

I think it's better that way.

It's like breaking up with someone - you think being nice and friendly and trying to stay in their lives and support them is being helpful; but it's not.

It just makes things worse, and harder, for everyone.

I'm going to pretend he doesn't exist this year, maybe then, when next year rolls around, I'll have gotten over it...

But I expect him to win the Brownlow this year; that'll really hurt.

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Carlton all day long
Can you make such a definitive assessment yet?

In some respects it's tricky because you are not comparing apples with apples. Judd the best mid of his time v Kennedy who is currently the premier KPF in the comp - which has the higher value?

In reality there is no loser in that trade imo

Aug 13, 2006
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide

In some respects it's tricky because you are not comparing apples with apples. Judd the best mid of his time v Kennedy who is currently the premier KPF in the comp - which has the higher value?

See if Kennedy can maintain that leve for a few more years, then it's a conversation worth having.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Didn't West Coast also get the pick that got Masten?

I believe it's line ball with the West Coast boys playing for a number of years yet it puts them in front.

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide

yet?

it was 9 years ago, and it's not particularly close

Elder van Berlo

Premiership Player
May 26, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide United
Brownlow,
AFLPA MVP.
4 x AA.
3 x B&F.
Captain for 6 years.
Never played beyond week 2 of the finals for Carlton.

I can't be bothered looking up Kennedy's accolades but I assume he's won at least 1 Coleman and been AA. Add that to the fact he's played a GF and made another PF...and chuck in Masten who's had a serviceable career - albeit you might hope for more out of pick 3 - I think you can make the case both ways.

If I was a Carlton fan with the full benefit of hindsight, and knowing how they've struggled for bookends over the last 10 years, I'm probably not thrilled with Judd trade.

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Never played beyond week 2 of the finals for Carlton.

I can't be bothered looking up Kennedy's accolades but I assume he's won at least 1 Coleman and been AA. Add that to the fact he's played a GF and made another PF...and chuck in Masten who's had a serviceable career - albeit you might hope for more out of pick 3 - I think you can make the case both ways.

If I was a Carlton fan with the full benefit of hindsight, and knowing how they've struggled for bookends over the last 10 years, I'm probably not thrilled with Judd trade.

be careful not to confuse team achievements with the individual

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
be careful not to confuse team achievements with the individual

That's were the confusion is, would WCE have made the GF if Kennedy was not part of the TEAM, but Judd went to a team of poor players. The PD trade will look like it favored adelaide if the team performs and those players look like an integral part of it, or Geelong performs and PD performs like we know he can!

Back