Analysis Danger on Tim Kelly + his 2020 contract

What would be an adequate trade for Tim Kelly?

• Brad AND Steven Hill from Fremantle

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Someone from West Coast

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • Two top-end draft picks

Votes: 88 62.4%
  • Top-end draft pick and player

Votes: 24 17.0%
  • Other (please specify) ______________

Votes: 12 8.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok Max - put up or shut up

Gary Ablett Snr was a sensational kick ( and both feet ) beautiful drop punts - he could kick the ball a mile - perfect connection -ok lets give him re kicking a football 10 out of 10

If Tim Kelly was opposed to Gary Ablett Snr purely in a football kicking contest - how many would you give Kelly out of 10
Kelly's kicking isn't as bad as some make out.
It just isn't.
Maybe you should stop comparing him to Gaz?

Kelly's kicking isn't as bad as some make out.
It just isn't.
Maybe you should stop comparing him to Gaz?

Was it last year in like the first practice match, Smith/Stanley (whoever was rucking) palms the ball to Kelly who runs forward & puts the ball on Hawkins chest?

I seem to recall comments around how Hawkins would appreciate the good service he was going to get from Kelly - seems some aren't so sure about that now

It be at least a minimum...
West Coast 2019 Round 1 pick, 2020 Round 1 pick

Hopefully we can get there 2019 Round 2 pick from Sydney, if they don't want to then we may swap it with our Round 3 pick for next year...

FWIW I don't think we will be the ones to land Kelly, but I do think he will end up in Perth next year (probably at Freo). They have the money and trade currency to get a deal done that would at least seem like "both sides won", and they can entice him with the cleanout they have had at management level (there were rumblings that he wasn't happy to play for Lyon).

However if he stamps his feet and holds his breath and tells everyone "I will only play for West Coast, everyone else can f*ck off!" then you're getting sweet f*ck all from us in compensation. :D

Was it last year in like the first practice match, Smith/Stanley (whoever was rucking) palms the ball to Kelly who runs forward & puts the ball on Hawkins chest?

I seem to recall comments around how Hawkins would appreciate the good service he was going to get from Kelly - seems some aren't so sure about that now
People flipflop opinions here like they are a pair of feet at the beach

Ok Max - put up or shut up

Gary Ablett Snr was a sensational kick ( and both feet ) beautiful drop punts - he could kick the ball a mile - perfect connection -ok lets give him re kicking a football 10 out of 10

If Tim Kelly was opposed to Gary Ablett Snr purely in a football kicking contest - how many would you give Kelly out of 10
Can't compare them. Gaz could kick way further on his opposite foot than 90% of midfielders could kick on their preferred.
Plus he was pretty inaccurate.
I reckon Sam Mitchell was a 10 out of 10 for a mid. So compared to Mitchell,
I'd give Kelly an 8 out of 10 on preferred foot with time and space.
& a 3-4 out of 10 when rushed.
That is the part of the game he needs to work on IMO as well as opposite foot kicking.
But this is modern AFL, most of the best mids are not great kicks. He's way better than Treloar or Fyfe.
His kicking is not really a problem.

Johnny Chunder ... says West Coast have three picks something like 15 , 22 and 33 ... that equates to two R1 picks and should get the deal done...

Really is that so Johnny... we what want to trade 20 X P60's to Gold Coast ... Thats about 3000 points ..has to be worth P1... Its not what the points add up to ... ist about choosing players .. and that deal means we have 14 teams pick the best player before us .. and its only 1 R1 pick... No deal. They can find someone else to trade those to and get us a second R1 pick . Its only a couple of picks ... but its only a couple picks that mean we have been restricted by silly afl rules..

Nic Nat on low pay? Sam Maclure reported today on SEN that the Eagles have 3 players on a million bucks and one of them was Nic Nat. McGovern on 1.15....yeah they've got plenty of cash to offer...not.

Salary cap has increases since 2017 quite a bit 10.35 million to 12.45 million. So it's plausible west coast could already have half of 1 million available after a few veterans schofield etc hit the retirement or players delisted. You look at how the best 22 is structured a masten and or redden could be moved. Then perhaps you look towards a cripps who has good football left with the bevy of small forwards that is probably enough I don't think cap is an issue. Richmond got Lynch in last year in more difficult circumstances.

You can also backend deals and get funky with how you get your money no doubt Tim kelly want his money now though so perhaps the re-rout other established senior players money via next season.

We have no hope in finals so best to get fresh players and start over. Trade as many players out as we can

this is my thinking.

not so much the kicking blokes out the door, but it's time to build a new core of players around Ratugolea, Henry, Parfitt, Narkle and a handful of others - we could potentially have a half dozen top #40 selections in this year's draft if we're bold, of which maybe 2 or 3 might become very good regulars ... I agree with you that our finals record is deplorable and as such we should be seeking both a new approach and direction

this is my thinking.

not so much the kicking blokes out the door, but it's time to build a new core of players around Ratugolea, Henry, Parfitt, Narkle and a handful of others - we could potentially have a half dozen top #40 selections in this year's draft if we're bold, of which maybe 2 or 3 might become very good regulars ... I agree with you that our finals record is deplorable and as such we should be seeking both a new approach and direction

Im losing faith that it matter not who we have till we change method. Watch the Dogs take on Giants and they may win may lose but Id lay money they go out to try to score..

Im losing faith that it matter not who we have till we change method. Watch the Dogs take on Giants and they may win may lose but Id lay money they go out to try to score..

I've said before that I think we try to ensure the opposition don't win, rather than just trying to win ourselves ... accuracy was a massive alibi for us early in the year when we were rolling ... deserted us today when we needed it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry for the intrusion, I’ve seen many posts on here accusing West Coast of being difficult to deal with and taking advantage of other clubs but that’s clearly not the case.

We gave a first round pick for Daniel Chick. Deal done quickly.
Following year we gave our first and second for Tyson Stenglein. Deal done again early in trade week.

Brisbane wanted Brent Staker, offered us Dalziel, we didn’t want him but took it, deal done quickly.

Sydney wanted Mark Seaby, offered a second rounder, deal done quickly.

We gave our first for Sharrod Wellingham, deal done is first few days of trade week.

Gave our second rounder for Elliot Yeo. Which at the time was considered a fair deal. We had two 2nd round picks close to each other, Brisbane wanted the lower one, we gave it to them, deal done quickly.

Sydney wanted Sinclair for Jetta. They offered Sinclair a huge deal, we told him we couldn’t match. Deal done quickly.

We gave our first round pick for Jack Redden, again deal done quickly.

Truth be told time and time again West Coast have shown themselves to be fair and pragmatic traders. We target a player and get the job done and done quickly. When one of us is targeted we tend to accept the request and get it done. Only time we stood firm was for Mitch Brown, funny enough he was under contract and ST Kilda couldn’t satisfy our needs so we held him to his contract,

Last year was unique as it was the first time we had targeted a contracted player, Geelong had every right to stand your ground and unless we paid up he stayed. Just like we did with Mitch Brown.

Both clubs disagreed to what was fair. End of story, move on.

Now if Kelly decides he still wants to come home and he’s uncontracted, Geelong won’t force him to stay, they can’t force him to go to Freo, it doesn’t work like that and you won’t risk sending him to the draft. The only club that would take him before WC would be Freo, no club would want the PR of preventing a player returning home for family reasons, especially when it involves special needs for his kids.

We won’t try and screw you because we don’t have a history of this in the past and it’s bad business moving forward.

However can only offer what we have.

It will be this years first, next years first and a swap of picks in the 2nd or 3rd round I’m guessing.

It’s more than we would have paid last year and less than you would want this year but it will be the only trade on the cards.

Unless Geelong can get in the ear of a player of ours under contract and have him request a trade like Sydney did with Callum Sinclair then no players will be offered. West Coast dont ship players out against their will.

We’re not Hawthorn.

Anyway until I hear from Tim Kelly himself he’s a Geelong player and all of this is heresay.

All last year North came onto our board and told us Gaff was gone and look how that turned out.

Sorry for the intrusion, I’ve seen many posts on here accusing West Coast of being difficult to deal with and taking advantage of other clubs but that’s clearly not the case.

Following year we gave our first and second for Tyson Stenglein. Deal done again early in trade week.

Brisbane wanted Brent Staker, offered us Dalziel, we didn’t want him but took it, deal done quickly.

We gave our first for Sharrod Wellingham, deal done is first few days of trade week.

Gave our second rounder for Elliot Yeo. Which at the time was considered a fair deal. We had two 2nd round picks close to each other, Brisbane wanted the lower one, we gave it to them, deal done quickly.

Sydney wanted Sinclair for Jetta. They offered Sinclair a huge deal, we told him we couldn’t match. Deal done quickly.

Truth be told time and time again West Coast have shown themselves to be fair and pragmatic traders. We target a player and get the job done and done quickly. When one of us is targeted we tend to accept the request and get it done. Only time we stood firm was for Mitch Brown, funny enough he was under contract and ST Kilda couldn’t satisfy our needs so we held him to his contract,

Last year was unique as it was the first time we had targeted a contracted player, Geelong had every right to stand your ground and unless we paid up he stayed. Just like we did with Mitch Brown.

Now if Kelly decides he still wants to come home and he’s uncontracted, Geelong won’t force him to stay, they can’t force him to go to Freo, it doesn’t work like that and you won’t risk sending him to the draft. The only club that would take him before WC would be Freo, no club would want the PR of preventing a player returning home for family reasons, especially when it involves special needs for his kids.

We won’t try and screw you because we don’t have a history of this in the past and it’s bad business moving forward.

It will be this years first, next years first and a swap of picks in the 2nd or 3rd round I’m guessing.

It’s more than we would have paid last year and less than you would want this year but it will be the only trade on the cards.

Unless Geelong can get in the ear of a player of ours under contract and have him request a trade like Sydney did with Callum Sinclair then no players will be offered. West Coast dont ship players out against their will.

We’re not Hawthorn.

Anyway until I hear from Tim Kelly himself he’s a Geelong player and all of this is heresay.

All last year North came onto our board and told us Gaff was gone and look how that turned out.
We are all mostly in agreeance with you. Cats have always been fair traders and have a history of over paying (pick 21 for Rhys Stanley, 1st rounder for Lachie Henderson etc). If TK wants WCE, he'll get there.

Their game plan like Hawthorn’s has been changed throughout season to be attacking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've said before that I think we try to ensure the opposition don't win, rather than just trying to win ourselves ... accuracy was a massive alibi for us early in the year when we were rolling ... deserted us today when we needed it

so , so spot on... I have propensity for accuracy but it distorted our worth

We’re not Hawthorn.

You come on here after last night is brave ... but clearly this is biased.

I dont want to go thru and address this line by line I will simply say ..if you go shopping for a Ferrari .. and then tell then salesman ..you have to take Mazda5 money cause its all we have.. then what happens.. the sale doesn't occur. In the afl you know you have us because of the system and are not being anything but hard to deal with.

Back in the days... before futures... we wanted Brad Ottens. Rich wanted 2 R1's. Sorry Rich we can only give you what we have... too bad go and find one.
So we traded a player.. and then we had what they wanted. Just like you could... so do not tell me this only what we have inward looking self back patting we are good guys drool. You have over and over made the sitaution hard here.. you could have had it done last year by trading what you had .. a future R1...

To try to make the deal happen with less than value means you are capatitalising on the situation ..you are being hard to deal with..

Last edited:
N

We’re not Hawthorn.

no you were a joke to us last year and you’ll be a joke to deal with again

* off

N

no you were a joke to us last year and you’ll be a joke to deal with again

fu** off

I use logic and fair conclusions and even say it’s not even a given conclusion he’s leaving and you tell me to * off?

Well that’s incredibly articulate and classy.

You showed me.

It’s a good thing everyone on bigfooty knows you don’t represent the Geelong faithful so if you don’t like what I have to say perhaps ignore me or just don’t respond.

As long as the rest of your fellow supporters are up for an objective conversation if it’s ok with you I’ll just converse with them and not you.

Say what you want from but I won’t be responding to you anymore, I prefer civilised conversation.

I use logic and fair conclusions and even say it’s not even a given conclusion and you tell me to fu** off?

Well that’s incredibly articulate and classy.

You showed me.

It’s a good thing everyone on bigfooty mate knows you don’t represent the Geelong faithful so if you don’t like what I have to say perhaps ignore me or just don’t respond.

Or you could just tell me to fu** off I suppose.
How about you take my advice instead of writing a long wall of text

I don’t give a *

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back